Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newbie Here, Bout to buy a Honda Civic. Any Recomendations ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Here, Bout to buy a Honda Civic. Any Recomendations ?

I am about to purchase a used Honda and am wondering if any of you can provide me with some insight. What not to buy, what to buy, good years, bad years, any info is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
CC

Old 02-01-2004, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Newbie Here, Bout to buy a Honda Civic. Any Recomendations ? (CContheline)

buone without a motor and them buy a b16 and put it in immediatley hehe nah just make sure it drives good and doesnt have any major damage to it. I have a 2000 which i love but i also love the eg.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Newbie Here, Bout to buy a Honda Civic. Any Recomendations ? (b16si)

92-95 civic coupes and 97-00 Hatchs are the 2 best body styles IMO
Old 02-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie Here, Bout to buy a Honda Civic. Any Recomendations ? (CContheline)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=350335

Here is a thread that was written by B18C5-EH2, he breaks down some of the differences of the EG civic and the EK civic. But ultimately it is up to you to decide which style civic you like better. Just remember that some civics are easier to modify than others, but in the end they are ALL civics, and they all have aftermarket support, so the sky is the limit.

Personally, im a little biased towards the EK, because i have one and i love it, but i also like my girlfriend's EG.

Good luck on your purchase
Old 02-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Newbie Here, Bout to buy a Honda Civic. Any Recomendations ? (civic duty)

Yep https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=350335 that thread will answer all of your questions
Old 02-01-2004, 10:22 AM

i've owned a crx for 3 years now and i have a 99 hatch, i wantes something new so i got the 99, but now im trying to sell it. id say either go eh chassis or eh. there the best too in my mind
Old 02-01-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got an eg and i love it. but yeah, like others have said, go for what you prefer, the aftermarket parts availiablity is unlimited for civics.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ntogethernow)

I think it really depends on what your looking for, and how much your looking to spend. I absolutely love my 95 EX coupe, but I like the EK style coupes as well. I didn't like hatches at the time i bought my car, but they have grown on me, especially the 96+ hatch. I would recommend an EX or Si hatch, unless you have intentions on a swap or major build up immediately.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:43 PM

92-95 Hatches are the nicest. but the 96-2000 hatches are my 2nd choice
Old 02-01-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Newbie Here, Bout to buy a Honda Civic. Any Recomendations ? (civiksiracer1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiksiracer1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">92-95 civic coupes and 97-00 Hatchs are the 2 best body styles IMO </TD></TR></TABLE> lol whats the matter you have something against 96's ?? its the same as the 97 and 98 ...lol .. as long as the car is a 92-00 and has three pedals and runs nice with a good body.. its a good start...
Old 02-02-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Newbie Here, Bout to buy a Honda Civic. Any Recomendations ? (ekb18cCivic)

Ok I appriciate all your responses... But I'm a bit confused... Imagine that from a Honda Newbie... To be honest I'm not to in to the hatches, maybe in time, but I'm thinking about possibly a 00-02 Civic LX or EX ? good idea bad idea ? Everyone seems to not recomment anything past 2000 ? And whats " eh, eg and ek ?

Thank You everyone,
CC

Old 02-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CContheline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And whats " eh, eg and ek ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're not EJ! 92-95 coupe IMO, but it's your styling preference that's going to make the final decision.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: The Land Of Car Thieves/Rising Gas Prices Daygo, CA, US

make sure its clean title...dont mess around with those salavage title ones....even though tell you its theft recovery.....hahah....sure...most of the time....speaking from personal experience....
Old 02-02-2004, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CContheline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I appriciate all your responses... But I'm a bit confused... Imagine that from a Honda Newbie... To be honest I'm not to in to the hatches, maybe in time, but I'm thinking about possibly a 00-02 Civic LX or EX ? good idea bad idea ? Everyone seems to not recomment anything past 2000 ? And whats " eh, eg and ek ?

Thank You everyone,
CC

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess it all depends on one big factor. How much $$$ do you have to spend (cash or loan?)

It also depends on whether or not you want to modify it. There are tons of mods for the 92-95 and 96-00 year ranges. There were a lot of changes made to the 2001 model year. Most notably the engine is an entirely new setup and they switched from multi-link suspension to MacPherson struts.

So, let us know what you're plans are (money spent and mods planned) and we'll be able to make a good recommendation.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Newbie Here, Bout to buy a Honda Civic. Any Recomendations ? (nonsense)

Cash I could spend will be approx. $12,000 + whatever my tax refund is. This is an investment for a long commute with a somewhat steep mountain pass so it's gota have plenty of power and get good gas mileage ( Can it be done? ).

As far as the mods go I have no idea... I am definetly a person who likes doing mods but I am going to be very cautious. I'm sure once the ride is in my drive way I won't be able to stop myself from researching mod possiblities but at this point it's on the back burner as reliability, power and mileage is my main objective...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They're not EJ! 92-95 coupe IMO, but it's your styling preference that's going to make the final decision.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean " They are not EJ! " Sorry if it's a stupid question..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgonzals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure its clean title...dont mess around with those salavage title ones....even though tell you its theft recovery.....hahah....sure...most of the time....speaking from personal experience....</TD></TR></TABLE>

In you opinion whats the easiest/best way to check for clean titles ? Purchase on one of the many VIN # checkers via the web ?

Thank You all,
CC

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I guess it all depends on one big factor. How much $$$ do you have to spend (cash or loan?)

It also depends on whether or not you want to modify it. There are tons of mods for the 92-95 and 96-00 year ranges. There were a lot of changes made to the 2001 model year. Most notably the engine is an entirely new setup and they switched from multi-link suspension to MacPherson struts.

So, let us know what you're plans are (money spent and mods planned) and we'll be able to make a good recommendation.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The changes you mentioned are very helpful, any changes seem to bring new unresolved problems it would seem. Makes me think 2000 and younger might be a wise choice ?

Thanks,
CC
Old 02-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CContheline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The changes you mentioned are very helpful, any changes seem to bring new unresolved problems it would seem. Makes me think 2000 and younger might be a wise choice ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Change isn't always a bad thing, but it will limit the amount of options you have as far as mods go. If you're planning on doing an engine swap a civic in the 1992-2000 year range will allow you to easily install a B-series (i.e. usually Integra) engine. In a 2001+ car you're only swap option is from an RSX so cost will be higher.

I would look into a 96-00 coupe (EJ) or hatchback (EK) with a GSR (b18c) swap