Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tranny?

everytime i shift into 3rd at higher rpms it grinds, but during normal driving its fine. is there a way to fix that without dropping the tranny or should i just go ahead a buy a new tranny?
Old 04-02-2004, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tranny? (invboost)

you could have your syncro replaced because that is what is causeing the griding
Old 04-02-2004, 07:11 AM

Default Re: new tranny? (slammed_93_hatch)

where can i get a 3rd gear synchro for a d16z6 tranny? and could i put it in myself or would someone that nows some things about honda tranny's do it?
Old 04-02-2004, 07:50 AM

hi i was wondering what is a synchro i know its in the transmition and i know that if it goes bad ur transmition is messed up after that but what exactly does it do?
Old 04-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the syncro allows you to shift with out grinding, it match's the speed of the gears so that they don't grind. you can get the syncro at a honda dealer ship and if you have a helms manual and are fairly good with motors and what not i would said you could do it
Old 04-02-2004, 08:05 AM

I just rebult my s20 tranny and it wasent all that hard, but a helms manual wont help you out i think. At least mine dident it told me to goto a tranny shop because it was to complex. But i found a link somewhere online that told you how to do it step by step made it really easy. You are gonna have to drop the tranny tho to so this but its not to hard ive done mine a few times now (Sigh 1st Blew the caseing on the differental to hell and then some, 2nd Syncros went to ****, 3rd time Clutch went out) But im getting pretty damned good at it now anyhow if you have all the parts on hand when you do it, along with the right tool to get the damned lock ring off the Countershaft you can do it propably in a day without any major proplems. I would also check all your bearings and all your syncros while its apart and get some good sealant to put it all back togher cause nothing will **** you off more then to have everything back on, and a leaking housing cause you got some cheap autozone sealant. If you need some help pm me.

http://icelord.net
The manuals are somewhere in there ill check it out when i get home im at werk now so.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: new tranny? (slammed_93_hatch)

are synchros hard ware or are they like computer sensors or sumthin
Old 04-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tranny? (1hotcivicSi)

no its a peace of metel
Old 04-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try out gm synchromesh(friction modified) tranny fluid before dropping the tranny.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tranny? (nocternaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just rebult my s20 tranny and it wasent all that hard, but a helms manual wont help you out i think. At least mine dident it told me to goto a tranny shop because it was to complex. But i found a link somewhere online that told you how to do it step by step made it really easy. You are gonna have to drop the tranny tho to so this but its not to hard ive done mine a few times now (Sigh 1st Blew the caseing on the differental to hell and then some, 2nd Syncros went to ****, 3rd time Clutch went out) But im getting pretty damned good at it now anyhow if you have all the parts on hand when you do it, along with the right tool to get the damned lock ring off the Countershaft you can do it propably in a day without any major proplems. I would also check all your bearings and all your syncros while its apart and get some good sealant to put it all back togher cause nothing will **** you off more then to have everything back on, and a leaking housing cause you got some cheap autozone sealant. If you need some help pm me.

http://icelord.net
The manuals are somewhere in there ill check it out when i get home im at werk now so. </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you talking about the service manual?? if so i'm pretty sure thats the same as the helms manual. are you thinking of the haynes manual that tells you to just take it to a shop?
Old 04-02-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: new tranny? (AzCivic1.6)

Yeah that link will take you to honda sercive manuals and Honda Shop manuals but i was thinking helms manual which is good for simple stuff its written for newbies but dosent get as technical as i would often times like...
Old 04-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tranny? (nocternaldragon)

you guys are talking of haynes manuals

the helms manual goes into depth on the transmission
and every part on the car for that matter........that is why they cost 80 bux