Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware!

Thought you guys might like to see this.

Installed

Whether you drive your car to and from work or only drive a quarter mile at a time you will see remarkable benefits with our new diffuser design. At speed a rear bumper cover can increase overall aero drag and promote lift. Neither of these effects are desirable on any vehicle, and as speed increases the problem becomes more pronounced. Think of your rear bumper as a big air brake. Our diffuser removes the trapped air and lets it flow freely through the bumper cover. Our product promotes higher track speed and gives the driver more stability at those high speeds.

This product has been tested at the drag strip on a 9 second, 150mph drag Civic. The diffuser is water jet cut from our high quality Rigid RacePlate, and it has the same glossy finish everyone loves. It measures approximately 4"x44.5", and comes with easy to read instructions for trouble free install. For those really fast racers out there you will be happy to know we machined a center hole just for your parachute tube. A secondary benefit for some cars using parachutes is faster parachute deployment due to the larger volume of air exiting out the bumper cover.

They are $125

Old 10-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (crx12)

looks good imo.....
Old 10-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (ProEater)

Normally, when i think of a diffuser, i think of items that direct air away from teh bottom of the car. Wouldn't the better solution to be not have air go into the bumper cover?

http://www.rotaryextreme.com/marvinfd-1.jpg

Now that is a diffuser
Old 10-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why get this when I can just cut a few holes in my bumper?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (ByronC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ByronC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why get this when I can just cut a few holes in my bumper?</TD></TR></TABLE>

why cut holes in your bumer, when you can just take it off? besides, its CARBON FIBERy0!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (JUN EK9)

It's better looking than the old chrome crap they used to sell.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (R6Elmo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R6Elmo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Normally, when i think of a diffuser, i think of items that direct air away from teh bottom of the car. Wouldn't the better solution to be not have air go into the bumper cover?

http://www.rotaryextreme.com/marvinfd-1.jpg

Now that is a diffuser </TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe but there are a few downsides to the one in the pics above. The first obvious thing is that this part costs a hell of a lot more than the diffuser we are selling. I'm sure that is a $400-$500 part. I don't even know if they sell those for the Civic. It would also have to be sealed under the car or it would be more of an air brake than stock. Secondly, it wouldn't fill up a parachute as well since the air is being directed away from the cars back end. Ours instantly gives air pressure to a sprung chute. The car this is installed on pushed the chute button at a recent race and it got tangled in the wheelie bars. That's no fun at 150-160. Sure everyone doesn't have a chite but for those that do the style above wouldn't help. The style you show in the pics above would create downforce/drag, that's why F1 and prototype racecars use them. Good for a high speed road course but not a drag strip.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:45 PM

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (ByronC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ByronC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why get this when I can just cut a few holes in my bumper?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've done it before and it looks like crap, that's why.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've done it before and it looks like crap, that's why.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well I have seen it done nice and neat. trick is, get mesh(preferably rain gutter guard) get it matched painted to the color of the car and mount it from the inside. can't even tell there are holes.

Not hating on you or your company I actually like the quality of the CF stuff you build.

BTW you have PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ehmm..... I wouldn't.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:09 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Carlo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carlo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ehmm..... I wouldn't.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Maybe but there are a few downsides to the one in the pics above. The first obvious thing is that this part costs a hell of a lot more than the diffuser we are selling. I'm sure that is a $400-$500 part. I don't even know if they sell those for the Civic. It would also have to be sealed under the car or it would be more of an air brake than stock. Secondly, it wouldn't fill up a parachute as well since the air is being directed away from the cars back end. Ours instantly gives air pressure to a sprung chute. The car this is installed on pushed the chute button at a recent race and it got tangled in the wheelie bars. That's no fun at 150-160. Sure everyone doesn't have a chite but for those that do the style above wouldn't help. The style you show in the pics above would create downforce/drag, that's why F1 and prototype racecars use them. Good for a high speed road course but not a drag strip.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can see the function in it however the perception of it being a fashon item combined with how aweful I think it looks (not yours specifically the entire "hole in the bumper" thing... whether it's just holes or those chrome things or whatever) would prohibit me from EVER gaining those benifits... and I could probobly use them a lot as I drive FAST on the highway which is most of my driving.

I've been planning on making a under-cover for the bumper that stops any air from entering it in the first place...

If you guys made something like that and I had the money I'd buy that...

For drag guys (especially those with chute's) I could see the benifit of having this...
Old 10-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I make diffusers out of Aluminum and they dont even wiegh a pound, Thats a wierd design. Anyone interested lick the clink in my sig. Its a lame site but gives you the general idea. I sell them for 50 bucks

Old 10-02-2003, 02:42 PM

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (NonovUrbizniz)

We do sell plates up to 4x5ft so you could construct an entire underbody bellypan if you have the cash.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not exaxtly what I had in mind...

If I were going to buy something (which I can't really afford) it would have to be pre-molded... otherwise I'll just do it myself.

and those aluminum things explain why I'd DEFINATELY get the poster's "diffuser" over any other out there... it's a least a little subtle.... it also does look like it's airflow charactoristics have been considered more than drilling holes in the bumper or some plate.

Good to see R&D even if it's something I wouldn't buy.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:35 PM
MEAT PATTY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (NonovUrbizniz)

Isn't this product more for the hard core draging type who already run like 9's and need those few extra tenths they been searching for. What would be the benefits for daily driving? I can possible see "maybe" it helping with gas milage if you do alot of highway driving, to reduce drag.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:13 PM

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (goforbroke)

Why not get the stock VX deffuser? It fills the void in the left side of the bumper. The VX is the only model it came on. For fuel econ. #14 here:

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...ECTOR
Old 10-02-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (rob d)

Pigs are Hairy

I can see a use for this item, but it is not attlactive for the car.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (notatuma)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notatuma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pigs are Hairy

I can see a use for this item, but it is not attlactive for the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

best.first.post.evar.

even with the misspelling
Old 10-02-2003, 06:56 PM

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (Mildly Interesting)

Its nice, but unless my car is gonna be seeing the track regularly, i dont see the need for it. btw, adam, that door is finally on its way, hadda put it back on for a couple days. hopefully it'll make it there on mon or tues.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (goforbroke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goforbroke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't this product more for the hard core draging type who already run like 9's and need those few extra tenths they been searching for. What would be the benefits for daily driving? I can possible see "maybe" it helping with gas milage if you do alot of highway driving, to reduce drag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup that'd be it...

I do 80 MINIMUM on the highway going to work everyday.. you can feel the drag... a diffuser would definately help but I would NEVER get one...

To the guy who posted the stock vx diffuser... THANK YOU ... I saw one of those at my buddies shop (on a vx) and was thinking about getting one... I may do that just to see how well it would do... but I will most likely fab something up eventually.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (KiDSoL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KiDSoL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I make diffusers out of Aluminum and they dont even wiegh a pound, Thats a wierd design. Anyone interested lick the clink in my sig. Its a lame site but gives you the general idea. I sell them for 50 bucks

</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey im in cedar hill, pm me so we can talk about this diffuser
Old 10-03-2003, 05:28 AM

Default Re: New style carbon fiber rear diffuser 56K Beware! (KiDSoL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KiDSoL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I make diffusers out of Aluminum and they dont even wiegh a pound, Thats a wierd design. Anyone interested lick the clink in my sig. Its a lame site but gives you the general idea. I sell them for 50 bucks

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the hijack. I looked at the pictures and its the same stuff STR has been selling for years. It really stands out on the car. Ours is a weird design compared to what? Our "weird" design at least sets a car apart from the rest, and in a good way!

BTW-just because something is cheaper doesn't mean you should buy it.