Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New motor won't go into gear!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New motor won't go into gear!

So I finally got my new b20 running today. I started her up, let it run for a moment and hopped in for a test drive. I put the car in reverse, backed out of the drive way. I shifted to first, let the clutch out and started to move, then suddenly the car stopped accelerating. It was like I pulled it into neutral, except I was still in the first gear position. My brother and I pushed it back into the driveway and now no gear works. I have a good amount of pressure on the clutch, just like normal. I can shift through the gears, except when I put it in gear and let the clutch out, nothing happens. I searched and couldn't find a thread with this kind of description. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 AM
tpr

Default Re: New motor won't go into gear! (burningwrek)

$10 says one of the axles was not fully seated in the transmission. Find out which one and push it in till it fully seats in the transmission.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New motor won't go into gear! (tpr)

yea thats what I thought too, so I re-did the passenger side axle and it seems like it won't go in all the way or something, but i don't have another b series motor to look at to see what a fully seated axle would look like.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I fought with it for an hour but had to go home and the thing still won't pop into place. I hammered on it, wiggled it, and turned it but no luck. Theres still at least a 1 inch gap between the boot and the tranny. Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well here's a pic my brother snapped that shows the gap. This isn't what its supposed to look like, right? Thats about as far as I can get it to go in. Any ideas and how I can get this to go fit right? By the way, this is the passenger side of an LS transmission, if I forgot to say.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by burningwrek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I fought with it for an hour but had to go home and the thing still won't pop into place. I hammered on it, wiggled it, and turned it but no luck. Theres still at least a 1 inch gap between the boot and the tranny. Any suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

just pull the axle completely out and keep messing with it, if you have the right one it shoud just pop in place.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I make sure that all the splines were in place and fitted properly and then I took a small peice of wood. And I hammered it at the base of the axle where it's supposed to go into the trany and wahh lahh it goes right in. Give that a try just careful you don't hammer you axles apart.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Re: New motor won't go into gear! (phuckyou)

had the same problem when i swapped my motor, installed a obx lsd though. I just got the axle in as far as i could make it, then i put the old axle nut on just enough so it wouldn't damage the threads and used a rubber malet and hit the end of it and it popped right in.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are using a Bseries axle right???
Old 03-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like schardbody said. Make sure the axle and tranny are both B-series. The splines must match. Try pulling out the axle a little (not out all the way), rotate a little and push the axle in. It should pop in place. If not try again.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: New motor won't go into gear! (Z3120)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Z3120 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like schardbody said. Make sure the axle and tranny are both B-series. The splines must match. Try pulling out the axle a little (not out all the way), rotate a little and push the axle in. It should pop in place. If not try again.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New motor won't go into gear! (92hatchling)

try using another axle, chack to see if the splines are still good and if the retaining clip is there
Old 03-31-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

man i did the same exact thing as you. i was ready for the test drive and my stupid bro didnt push them in all the way. all i did was lift the tire up is high as i could and my boss hammered them in. then it worked. good luck to ya
Old 03-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tallyturbo)

Well I'm assuming that they are b series axles. They seem to slide into place about half way and then stop, like the splines are lined up but the axle just won't go in anymore. I inspected the splines and they appeared fine. The retaining clip is still in place and I've tried hammering on it. Would it help to put the transmission in gear preventing the female side of the splines from rotating while I wiggle and hammer away? I'm gonna look at it some more on monday.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:05 PM

if you have an intermediate shaft make sure you have the right axles on the correct sides
Old 03-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New motor won't go into gear! (Z3120)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Z3120 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like schardbody said. Make sure the axle and tranny are both B-series. The splines must match. Try pulling out the axle a little (not out all the way), rotate a little and push the axle in. It should pop in place. If not try again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

had the same problem and it was the axle. pull out spin and push it in. try spinning it while you push it in also
Old 03-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its only one side doing it you probably just messed the c clip up when trying to beat it in, take it off and see if it goes in then, if so you just need to get a new clip, or fix that one.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Trial User

i am having the same problem with my d series swap. i tryed the axels everything can any one help? the car shows its moving when .i have my foot off the clutch and i can shift without putting the clutch in. also i replaced the clutch
Old 04-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the c-clip looked fine, but I'll check it Monday and see if it'll go in without the c-clip on. Any other suggestions before I try this thing on monday?
Old 04-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like I am haveing the same problem with my B16 right now. This is a hard one. When the car is on jack stands and you put it in 1st the tires move fine. BUT! when the car is sitting on ground it won't even move. The clutch won't even make a sound if you shift with out pushing in the clutch pedal. I am thinking it might be the clutch. After reading this, I am thinking maybe the axels might of poped out? If someone can help me that would be great..
Old 04-01-2006, 07:03 PM

Try to pull the axle out as far as you can not all the way and then slam it in. Keep doing that (it helps if you make your O face). the little clip on the end probably has to snap in place which is making it hard to get in. So just keep slamin it and it will pop in.

Once you get it make sure you have enough oil in the tranny.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, put your foot on it, like the edge of the top of your foot and put pressure on it like no other... as if using only your toes it works for me everytime where you located i can pop it in for you in like 10 seconds
Old 04-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (evilcivilian)

Great suggestions guys. I'm thinking that clip is just being a beast and won't pop into place. Looks like I'll get a chance to take another whack at it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:27 PM

did you check if it had the ring in the end of the axle? cuz that was the problem with my car
Old 04-02-2006, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (marios_Ej1)

yes, the c-clip is still there. I followed the Haynes Manual instructions and did everything correctly, except for the part about making sure the axle seats properly, I guess.

Quick Reply: New motor won't go into gear!