Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new member. Head options

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member. Head options

im new to this forum, id like to say hi to everyone.

now, i remember reading a while back that a b18(C i think) head on a b20b bottom end would make close to 200 horses and lots of torque. but my question is, with a D series motor, are their any DOHC heads available? is a B series head possible on a D series engine? ill be buying a new car before too long, and i was thinking about buying either a 92-95 (5th gen?) or 96-98 civic. a motor swap or build definitely in the plans. what about cam swaps and other upgrades? im not above buying another stock motor and rebuilding it, but i want to know where the real power gains are had.

if i were to not screw myself on cost for a whole motor and trans, what are my options for a stock motor? im shooting for an EX to simplify wiring if i do a motor swap. please fill in any horrible misinformations i may have.

i want to build a nice 'peppy' civic that could take most stock (intake/exhaust only) civics. my buddies all have N/A RX-7s, and they are quite fast, im not really looking to beat them, i just want to be able to keep up. i love getting greasey, as automotive work is favorite thing in the world. i also work at advance autoparts (20% discount) if any stock parts are needed...

thanks, jeff.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope sorry, b series head will not fit on d series blocks. so now thats out the window, a sohc vtec motor, can be peppy just requires a little work, most people opt for the regular, I H E, and so on, what i would say right now is SAVE, SAVE SAVE. in order to be peppy , u gotta go big, get a stage 1 cam, crower is my personal choice, flywheel, clutch, and maybe reprogrammed ecu, all of which are great add ons that ur regular run of the mill street racer does not want too do because it is too expensive. and please don't do anything like led washers because we will have to kick ur ***.jk. but read up do some searches and see what kind of gains people are getting from a 200.00 part, knowledge is a great tool, u just have to learn first.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:45 PM
B A N N E D

In your case i would suggest reading the stickys and doing a little research. B series and d series are apples and oranges and most of their parts do not interchange. There are a few parts but not many.

Now you can but a b18c (gsr or hype r head on a b20b or z bottom. To save money just get a b16 head. When you take a b series vtec head and combine it with a b series short block b20 b or z its called b20vtec or crvtec. You can also put any of the heads named above with a b18a or b. This is called ls-vtec. Its called a ls motor because they come in integra ls rs and gs.

When you put the vtec head with a non vtec block its called a frankenstien and when built correctly you can obtain some nice numbers. Research first but this is not nearly enough info for you to know everything. I just spoon fed you some so research
Old 07-06-2005, 08:49 AM

ok, so there arent any D series dohc heads out there? thats one thing i was wondering. there is an import shop not too far from where i work (and my house for that matter) that i think i could get to order a motor for me.

whats the cheapest swap? b16a1? which one has the best power:cost ratio?
and i really am not adverse to building a crvtec as it was called.. but i dont want too have to swap the motor back to pass inspection. but i think it might be an option because iirc emissions is only every two years here (idk, my current car is a 75, thus no emissions requirements).
now, an LS Vtec sounds pretty tempting too. where is the easiest place to get my hands on a b-series vtec head?

im going to do some more research on how to actually do this, but im curious as to where these parts are easiest to get.

and whats an I H E?
im going to look into cam costs and such.
thanks again. jeff.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Electrician

Default Re: (rabius)

No, DOHC heads can't be placed on a SOHC block. There was a thread a while back about someone doing the install, but the pics didn't justify it the set-up actually ran or not. It was a grease-ball of a mess.

The cheapest swap is whatever you can find. Whether it's from a private seller or a shop, it's up to you.

You can find parts in the Classifieds or your local junkyard, it's not rocket science.

I/H/E = Intake/Header/Exhaust

You DEFINITELY need to do some research.

You DEFINITELY need to read the Rules and Regulations.

Here are the links you'll need to drill into your head:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=642479
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=990205

For your engines: http://www.hmotorsonline.com has had great reviews, search under hmotorsonline and lots of threads will appear.

Thanks.