Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New , looking for minor mod suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New , looking for minor mod suggestions.

I just got a 92 civic ex. Im looking for some minor upgrades, nothing to crazy but just some small stuff that can get me started. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (JacksColdSweat)

intake, headers, exhaust, rims, tires, etc
Old 09-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

springs, shocks, .. id go suspension.. but you might wanna search
Old 09-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (haveaniceday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foreverslow1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">intake, headers, exhaust, rims, tires, etc</TD></TR></TABLE>Get 3 headers, tho. The more the better.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haveaniceday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

springs, shocks, .. id go suspension.. but you might wanna search</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm with this guy
Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (Papa John)

It depends on which way you want to go. If you want to go suspension, it will cost more to get good coilovers and struts (or more if you want to get a full system like I did). If you want to just do stuff to the motor, though, you can do more for less (i/h/e, etc as stated above).

Do you want to autox, drag? Swaps are nice, but if you are just starting out, maybe you don't want to think about this yet. Give us some more to work with.

-Shane
Old 09-02-2005, 01:00 AM

I'm just bassicaly looking for a few fun things I can do keeping the stock motor. It will just be a daily driver but I thought it would be fun to upgrade it a little. Maybe I should ask what would be best for my money and what to expect in HP gains? Thanks for replies.Also I haven't bought this car yet, Im also looking at a 97 EX coupe. Would that car be alot better or am I'm still good with the 92 EX? Thanks
Old 09-02-2005, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. A body kit will not make you faster. A body kit weighs more than the OEM parts. so your adding weight which slows you down.

2. Aluminum wings, Fiberglass Terminator Spoilers. Do not make your car faster they just add weight. and interupt the aerodynamics of your car.

3. Vinyl stickers, GT-R badges, Type R Stickers, VTEC inside Stickers Do not add horsepower.

4. 18" wheels or bigger do not help you at all. sure it may get u laid with the freshman chick. But when your out with her. you'll look like a chump cause u got beat. How would you like to be carrying 50lbs of extra weight on each foot?

These following Items will help your vehicle go faster and gain horsepower.

#1 Weight Reduction. There are so many ways to reduce your vehicles weight.

1. Remove all of the interior including carpet. Now take a torch or dry ice and remove all sound deadning material from the floor and door panels. some people have claimed to have shaved up to 15 lbs of weight off by just doing this.

2. Remove power steering and ac. that is easily 50lbs

3. remove unwanted interior items. seats. Stock eg seat with rails weigh 26lbs according to my scale. remove rear seats. interior panels. and that damn annoying chattering glove box.

4. If your vehicle is equiped with a sunroof. take a trip to your local hardware store. by a sheet of plexiglass and cut it to fit. use DAP sealant. this will cost you under $20 and will remove up to 30lbs off the vehicles weight

5. If your the kind of person who doesnt care for a radio then yank that damn thing out along with all the speakers.

6. Only drive your car when it is nice out and live in a dry area. then remove your winshield washers along with the squirters and the resevoir.

#2 Engine Performance.

1. Seafoam. You have a ton of mileage on your car? then you know that engine has to have a bunch of carbon build up. take a trip to your local parts store and grab some seafoam. will run you $6 for a can.

2. Dont have cash to get a Nice cold air intake. then make your own. it may be ghetto but it works. PVC intake. PVC is extremely cheap. and if you dont want that ugly white thing in your engine bay then use some hi temp paint and paint it black! There is also a good side to this. Plastic does not hold heat as well metals do. so in hence you will run somewhat cooler intake temperatures.

3. Remove Power Steering and AC system. not that hard to remove will take about 3-4 hours out of your time if you are a beginner. Will shave off around 50 lbs off of your car. This mod will give you 4-5 whp or more. but has been dyno proven to 4-5 whp. On the side note since you do not have your AC or PS any longer. search for a CTR Crank pulley if you are a b series. they run around $80 or cheaper if they are used.

4. Grounds. There is nothing more important on your car then your electrical system. Take a trip down to your local Audio store. Get 1 Foot of 2 Gauge wire and connectors. And get 12 ft of 8 gauge wire. replace all factory grounds with this wire. Battery -&gt; Chassis-&gt; Intake Manifold -&gt; Altenator -&gt; Rear Of Head -&gt; Chassis......Then Transmission -&gt; Chassis..... Then Front of Head -&gt; Chassis. Diagram below for better Idea.

5. Standard Tune up. Should run you under $60. Replace Distributor cap, Spark plugs, Fuel Filter, and Rotor.

6. Going to the drag strip. wanna bring down those air intake temperatures. Grab your cooler and Get 3 5lb bags of ice. now empty out 2 bags off ice to Chill the Beer.. Warm beer is bad now use the other bag to put on your intake manifold to cool it down in between runs.

7. Cool down those intake temperatures for good. Your intake manifold as well as most of your engine is made up of aluminum metal. When you have 2 metal surfaces forced on each other they can transfer heat. Well Not when you have a Insolated intake manifold gasket. 2 reliable companies that manufacture these are Hondata and AN-R these can be had from $35 and up.

8. Synthetic Motor Oil. Got a few miles on the motor. then take care of her. Upgrade your standard oil to Synthetic. Synthetic Oil Lubricates The engine alot better than standard oil does. Now Synthetic Motor Oil is more expensive that standard oil. The best Synthetic Oils out there are the following: Mobil 1, Redline, Lucas, Castrol.

9. Better Octane Fuel. As you begin Modding your engine you are increasing its performance. another way to increase the performance and prevent your engine from Detonation is Stepping up to a better Fuel. 91 octane is perfect for any slightly modified honda.

10. Cooling. Face it Engines Get hot. You dont have cash for a ultra Bling Fluidyne or Koyo Radiator. Well Redline Synthetics makes a good additive. Its called water wetter. It lowers your cooling system up to 20 degrees. this cost around $5.
10a. Another cheap way to Keep your engine running cool is to wire up a manual Fan switch. This will cost you about $15 or less. You will need about 20 ft of 10 gauge Wire. 1 toggle switch (id get one that lights up so you do not forget u left the fan on). Inline Fuse (10amp) from radio shack) see diagram below for instructions.

Instructions for Ground Kit

Instructions for Manual Fan Switch.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haveaniceday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

springs, shocks, .. id go suspension.. but you might wanna search</TD></TR></TABLE>
Make it handle like crazy... then save for a swap. Don't waste your money on a D series.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (nub.96ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nub.96ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Make it handle like crazy... then save for a swap. Don't waste your money on a D series. </TD></TR></TABLE>

D-Series=
I can't believe some people swear by these still. Even with a turbo at 20lbs of boost youre under 300hp. After upgrading suspension a B16A would be your best bet as a Noob. I think you might be able to use the wiring and ecu from your SOHC VTEC( if you chip it). Throw an intake, header, exhaust, high flow cat, and a nice set of Wires and youll be ~150whp and taking corners with ease. Research is your friend.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1
1. Remove all of the interior including carpet. Now take a torch or dry ice and remove all sound deadning material from the floor and door panels. some people have claimed to have shaved up to 15 lbs of weight off by just doing this.

2. Remove power steering and ac. that is easily 50lbs

3. remove unwanted interior items. seats. Stock eg seat with rails weigh 26lbs according to my scale. remove rear seats. interior panels. and that damn annoying chattering glove box.

4. If your vehicle is equiped with a sunroof. take a trip to your local hardware store. by a sheet of plexiglass and cut it to fit. use DAP sealant. this will cost you under $20 and will remove up to 30lbs off the vehicles weight

5. If your the kind of person who doesnt care for a radio then yank that damn thing out along with all the speakers.

6. Only drive your car when it is nice out and live in a dry area. then remove your winshield washers along with the squirters and the resevoir.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

no half-decent girl will get in a car with you if you have no interior, no ac, a plugged up sunroof, no radio, and you sweating your *** off trying to turn the steering wheel
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
9. Better Octane Fuel. As you begin Modding your engine you are increasing its performance. another way to increase the performance and prevent your engine from Detonation is Stepping up to a better Fuel. 91 octane is perfect for any slightly modified honda.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think basic bolt ons will ever necessitate the need for higher octane fuel. just stick with 87 octane, if you ever happen to run into some detonation then i doubt it's because of the fuel.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (mr poo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr poo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no half-decent girl will get in a car with you if you have no interior, no ac, a plugged up sunroof, no radio, and you sweating your *** off trying to turn the steering wheel </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 09-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JacksColdSweat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just bassicaly looking for a few fun things I can do keeping the stock motor. It will just be a daily driver but I thought it would be fun to upgrade it a little. Maybe I should ask what would be best for my money and what to expect in HP gains? Thanks for replies.Also I haven't bought this car yet, Im also looking at a 97 EX coupe. Would that car be alot better or am I'm still good with the 92 EX? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>Well, to start, get a Helm service manual for whatever car you end up. It'll contain the answers to virtually every question you'll ever ask. You can save yourself a LOT of headaches both while doing the work and down the road.

Second, catch up on all the routine maintenance that's been skipped by previous owners - fresh oil, oil filter, fuel filter, distributor cap, distributor rotor, spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, etc. You can do everything on this list in an afternoon with a service manual, a medium-sized metric socket set, & a torque wrench. Well, if you do the oil yourself you'll need an oil catch pan.

Easy stuff would be to throw on a Cold Air Intake, that'll help it breathe a little better.

Little harder but still relatively inexpensive is a replacement header & cat-back exhaust. Since it's a 92 whatever is on there has corroded a bit and won't be fun to remove.

After that a new suspension would be a good idea. Again, since it's 13-14 years old at this point, whatever is on there is probably going to be hard to remove. Unless you've got a garage full of tools (impact wrench, angle grinder, etc.) you're probably going to want to find a shop to do it.

With the suspension I would get sticky tires. If you live where it snows in the winter, you'll also want a corresponding set for winter. If you stay with stock-size (14") wheels then tires are pretty cheap, around $25-50/tire. If you want to splurge, get some light alloy wheels.

With sticky tires, you may as well throw in some better brake pads. If you're staying on the street, go with "street performance" type pads, not race pads. Race pads need to be warmed up to maximum grip, while cold most of them aren't as good as a decent street set. (OTOH street pads can get overwhelmed on a road course) These you can install yourself.

Personally, I would go with the 92 if it's in good shape. It's lighter than the 97, and the 96-00s just look too narrow/tall - to me. Gives the impression of having a high center of gravity, even though it's probably not all that different.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Suspension
Old 09-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaeg17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Personally, I would go with the 92 if it's in good shape. It's lighter than the 97, and the 96-00s just look too narrow/tall - to me. Gives the impression of having a high center of gravity, even though it's probably not all that different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. Plus the 92 is OBD-1 which is the best as far as tuning options. As long as its five speed, do it. Even if its a piece of ****, you can replace bad stock parts with good performance parts.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (LSV_REX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSV_REX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D-Series=
I can't believe some people swear by these still. Even with a turbo at 20lbs of boost youre under 300hp. After upgrading suspension a B16A would be your best bet as a Noob. I think you might be able to use the wiring and ecu from your SOHC VTEC( if you chip it). Throw an intake, header, exhaust, high flow cat, and a nice set of Wires and youll be ~150whp and taking corners with ease. Research is your friend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

too bad b16 sucks too
Old 09-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Hells yes. The first mods on a car.. I always would go with suspension over i/h/e.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hells yes. The first mods on a car.. I always would go with suspension over i/h/e.</TD></TR></TABLE>

who needs to accelerate when you don't need to slow down for the turn in the first place.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:38 PM

Old 09-06-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (LSV_REX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSV_REX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D-Series=
I can't believe some people swear by these still. Even with a turbo at 20lbs of boost youre under 300hp. After upgrading suspension a B16A would be your best bet as a Noob. I think you might be able to use the wiring and ecu from your SOHC VTEC( if you chip it). Throw an intake, header, exhaust, high flow cat, and a nice set of Wires and youll be ~150whp and taking corners with ease. Research is your friend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Moronic statement of the year.

Who says he's looking to make 150hp, let alone 300? Maybe he's concerened with maintaining good gas mileage?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (undertheradar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undertheradar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Moronic statement of the year.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's an understatement. highlighted in bold are reasons why he should not give advice to noobs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSV_REX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

D-Series=
Old 09-06-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's an understatement. highlighted in bold are reasons why he should not give advice to noobs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.....I missed the "right set of wires" comment.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New , looking for minor mod suggestions. (undertheradar)

I was just trying to give the kid ideas of what he COULD do later on. That's all. I'm not here to **** people off. Sorry if I did.