Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to cars, would love some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to cars, would love some help

Hey honda-tech,

I'm pretty new to playing with cars, never really had the interest, until I met a friend who lives in Florida, who had a great civic hatch, and realized what a great thing to be into. So I sold my Saab, and bought myself a 1998 Honda Civic [2dr].

The car is pretty stock, other than an exhaust and an air intake. It came that way, so i've done ultimately nothing to it. I was wondering what I should start with, what will make my car faster, and more fun, at a decent price. I hear a lot of the B16 engine, so I think that will be next. What else do I need to replace with that engine? Any starters help would be great! Appreciate it, and look forward to talking with you all.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New to cars, would love some help

How much are you willing to spend?
How mechanically inclined are you when it comes to automobiles?
What are your goals, other than faster and more fun?
How strict is your state on emmisions?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome,
since you just got you car, just focus on the way it looks first. get it waxed, lower it, wheels, lip kit, t 99-00 tail lights, ctr headlights & then worry about making it faster unless you have the money for a complete engine swap.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome. most of the time with swap's you would want to replace seal's, gaskets,water pump, oil pump, timing belt, oil filter. Feel free to add more people's.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

congrats. B16's are spoken about a lot because they are the cheapest vtec motors you can get. The route I feel is the smartest to take is buying a LS motor from the non-vtec acura integras since they are b18's. They have more torque than the b16 but less hp.

The B16's have short geared transmissions and when paired with a cheaper ls, b18 motor, you will have a faster car for a lower cost. LS Long blocks are cheap but vary a little with mileage and what is included while b16 transmissions go for around 300-400. Some go for more but there are a lot for around 400.

Then later on you can put a b16 cylinder head which is the top half of a motor, onto the ls motor and it's called an LS VTEC which produce more power with a stock block than b16's and sometimes more than b18 GSR VTEC motors. The block could use some work if you ever wanted to do this build to help reliability.

If you want something quicker than a b16 cheaper, buy an ls with a B16 or GSR tranny. LS Motors are good for turbo so if you maybe wanted to do a turbo setup, get a gsr transmission because the gears are short but not too short for turbo motors.

Just have fun, it's easy to catch on
Old 06-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenDAtegra
congrats. B16's are spoken about a lot because they are the cheapest vtec motors you can get. The route I feel is the smartest to take is buying a LS motor from the non-vtec acura integras since they are b18's. They have more torque than the b16 but less hp.

The B16's have short geared transmissions and when paired with a cheaper ls, b18 motor, you will have a faster car for a lower cost. LS Long blocks are cheap but vary a little with mileage and what is included while b16 transmissions go for around 300-400. Some go for more but there are a lot for around 400.

Then later on you can put a b16 cylinder head which is the top half of a motor, onto the ls motor and it's called an LS VTEC which produce more power with a stock block than b16's and sometimes more than b18 GSR VTEC motors. The block could use some work if you ever wanted to do this build to help reliability.

If you want something quicker than a b16 cheaper, buy an ls with a B16 or GSR tranny. LS Motors are good for turbo so if you maybe wanted to do a turbo setup, get a gsr transmission because the gears are short but not too short for turbo motors.

Just have fun, it's easy to catch on
I agree. the ls motor is not only cheap to start with but you can really go any way you want with it. Throw a b16 head on that sucker you'll have a blast. This is only getting easier to do these days with the addition of the golden eagle head conversion kits and many write-ups found on this forum. then you can worry about cosmetic stuff because there's nothing worse than a flashy civic with no ***** at all.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:16 AM
New User

Doing it right the first time around is what you want to do. IF you are on a budget buy a B series engine. Their are many options to go with there.

If you have money to spend go with the K-series, Honda's newest line of engines. They respond well to bolt-ons and 90% of them come with a 6spd tranny. Great for all motor,SC, and turbo up to aroung 340whp. Then most people are going with a 5spd tranny to keep longer gearing and traction.

If you go more money to spend go with an S2000 engine and K series tranny. You can source some to custom adapt the tranny and remain FWD.

Just figure out what you want from the car and engine from the get go as best as possible. It will save you time and money and will keep you in the driver's seat. I am selling my GSR engine cause it isn't going to be what I will need for road racing. I need more power from an all motor application and I need a 6spd tranny. I bought my EG with the GSR already in it, so I haven't wasted any money yet. I would keep the GSR if my car was going to be a street car cause a GSR swap is plenty fast enough for the street. IT gets to the speed limit fast enough.

Just food for thought. I just can't wait to sell my complete GSR swap so I can get underway with my road racing goals
Old 06-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

D series turbo... nuff said
Old 06-07-2009, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome, and all I can say is that it is a very useful asset to have friends or associate yourself with people who have done major things like engine swaps before and for the more intensive things as well; thus, HT is a great place to start.

As for me I am no mechanic but I love the simplicity behind Honda products and the knowledge base that backs it.

For you and every other person who is new I suggest a few things that will not only make your car more fun to drive but they are easy to moderate to install and can range from cheap to expensive.

Anyway, I'm sure it has been covered by now but here goes.

Air Intake - You can either go with a 'cold air' setup or just the regular setup.

Suspension - There are four parts to this:
1. Struts/shocks (people use the terms loosely and interchangeably)
2. Springs or a coilover setup (I suggest coils because you obviously you can adjust the size.)
3. Sway Bars front and rear
4. Strut bars front and rear.

Exhaust - From the, and including, the header all the way back do it right and don't cut corners.

Anyway, I would save the exhaust part until you figure out what engine you want whether that is keeping the one you have or swapping one in. The things I listed have been proven time and time again to not only make the car's driveability increase but fuel economy as well. I'm sure someone might disagree but if you can prove me wrong on improving air flow and reducing energy lost through body roll, I welcome it.

Again, welcome and remember google is your friend and we wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your car.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Icon3 Re: New to cars, would love some help

IMO. Learn how your brake system works. Bleed your brakes with new fluid, maybe new Stainless steel lines, and if you do your research and are confident get a rear disc. New radiator fluid, make sure you change your oil, do it yourself and learn. If its the hobby and life style that intrigued you, than that's all you really need to focus on, Keeping it clean! Motor, Think and research a B20b! or just keep yours and turbo it! I see people in here are trying to more or less scare you and intimidate you , and not really listening and understanding you, it's what 97% of H-T people are like . "I know more than you, I'm more jdm than you, I've been doing this longer than you!" {Puck bitches} Do what you like, keep it simple and keep it clean. Suspension, definitely something to research! Again this is just my opinion. Also in H-T if you say IMO, 97% of people think you are saying it's fact. Maybe 97% of people in H-T tech are just kids. Keep it clean, my friend, that's all! "and that's real"

Last edited by _MARS_; 06-07-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B16's are spoken about a lot because they are the cheapest vtec motors you can get
That's not true. D16s are the cheapest vtec motors you can get.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic_driver
That's not true. D16s are the cheapest vtec motors you can get.
Also not true. A d16zc costs 500 bux with no tranny. Same with a b20. It all really depends on where you buy your motor and what condition it is in.