Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New battery and moving it to back

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery and moving it to back

Well with my hid lights, Blox gauges, air/fuel moniters, V-AFC, turbo timer, alpine head unit with all factory speakers plus the mirrors the stock battery for my B16Aturbo is getting suffocated. I mean litterally you can turn on all the gadgets and you can just watch the idle jump down on mycar. Turn the A/C on and the car may shut off if not given gas.

What is a bigger battery that can handle the job and what wires should I run to the trunk?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New battery and moving it to back

really no replies? this section all about sway bars and paint jobs?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude 14 views. . take it easy
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not the battery. It's the alternator.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mitchell_2kSiR
dude 14 views. . take it easy
it was on page 3 when i found it again...

alternator? will a bigger alternator fit?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SEARCH.

If you're moving the battery to the trunk then put the biggest battery in there you can afford since you're obviously not limited to space anymore.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
SEARCH.

If you're moving the battery to the trunk then put the biggest battery in there you can afford since you're obviously not limited to space anymore.

that's what this forum is for! of course I can search for my own battery but I would like to know what people have already used and what they reccomend. your giving me grief for this post but the section is flooded with utter bullshit. will a bigger battery be a waste of money because my alternator won't be able to handle it? will the bigger honda accord alternaot fit my car? these are the kinds of replies im looking for. go bother the ****ing teens in hear screaming for help because they crashed moms car ok.

edit: oh boy here's a fine thread about little johhny asking how to clean his timing belt which you responded with a full paragragh in detail of hot to do it. then you come to my legit thread and give me ****....GTFO https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/gonna-wierd-question-but-2468747/
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL A whole paragraph? I count 2 sentences. Anyways...

Like I said, get the biggest battery you can afford. Obviously since it's in the trunk you don't need to worry about space limitations. The only limitation you'll have is if you use a battery box (the correct and legal way). If you don't have a battery box correctly setup with the kill switch on the back of the car then you won't be able to track the car since you won't make it through tech inspection.

I myself went to Advance Auto Parts and bought the biggest Optima Yellow Top battery that would fit in my battery box. It cost me something like 220 bucks and was like 880 CCA at 0 degrees F, but I had no worries of the battery leaking in my interior as well as it being much more shock proof than a standard lead acid battery. Also, it is a deep cycle battery, so it can be discharged more than a lead acid battery without fear of shortening the battery life as long as it is recharged correctly. I left my lights on once for about 3 hours, came out and started the car right up. To me it was worth the peace of mind.

As far as an Accord alternator fitting I would not know, that's something you may find in a search. The only thing I know of would be to buy a higher AMP rated alternator (aftermarket) and install it. The stock Civic alternator is not enough to power all the **** you want to run in the car. You can also opt to have a local shop rebuild your stock alternator to put out more power also. If you run the stock alternator you'll shorten its life span since you'll be making it run at full power all the time with all that stuff.

As far as wiring goes - if you're going all the way to the trunk I would highly recommend 0 gauge wiring for your positive lead and at least 4 gauge wiring for the ground wire. When I did the relocation I went and bought 0 gauge welder's cable. It's copper wiring but even at 0 gauge it's still very flexible when compared to automotive or speaker grade 0 gauge wiring. Also, the insulation on the welder's cable is extremely thick, meaning you won't be able to pinch through it very easily. If you do it this way, I highly recommend using a 250 AMP (I believe that's what mine was) circuit break inline with the positive lead and hide it somewhere that not many people can find it easily. This way it acts as a kill switch and if you do overload the system it will pop the breaker instead of a 30 dollar fuse. Make sure all your connections are soldered, heat shrunk, and coated in di-electric grease to prevent arcing. I used the copper o-ring lugs when I did mine.

What other questions do you want answered, o great masta?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude your not goint to get any replies like that but yes if you put a bigger battery your alternator will be able to handle the battery itself but it will take longer to charge if you want a better alternator that puts out higher amps and a really good battery go to an all audio place the one around my house carrys a battery that puts out double stock amps and its the same size its called purple haze its a purple battery and they can look into an alternator for you but as far as the accord alternator i cant help you there sorry
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

edit: yea I heard the optimas were the best and most costly. still though 220 isn't going to break me. thanks for all the info. and no, other questions need answering right now

Last edited by 6000pounds; 01-08-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought that'd be enough to shut you up. *sarcasm*

Yea, they're pricey, but they generally last a very very long time if taken care of. I myself trickle charge mine once a year and test it to make sure it's functioning properly. The other nice thing is that they don't corrode on the terminals. They also have a decent warranty on them also.