Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need some serious help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some serious help

im new to the tuning sport but im extremely interested and ready to learn...my brother just gave me his 1996 civic dx(i believe, very standard) no air no power locks and no power steering... i know the engine is a d16y7, which is only pushing about 107 horses.. what should i do to the engine to gain mad speed with little money...
this car is driven on a dailey basis to and from school.
only rule is i cant swap(moms rules)
thanks for the help guys
Old 08-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: need some serious help (dosterschill7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dosterschill7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im new to the tuning sport but im extremely interested and ready to learn...my brother just gave me his 1996 civic dx(i believe, very standard) no air no power locks and no power steering... i know the engine is a d16y7, which is only pushing about 107 horses.. what should i do to the engine to gain mad speed with little money...
thanks for the help guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

welcome to honda-tech..
how old are you? maybe you can wait untill your 18, then swap that worthless p.o.s motor

Nah on a more serious note: You could piece together a DIY turbo kit or for little or less money.. lighten the car up.. take the **** out that you don't need.. Go with a nice header, Nice full exhaust, And a intake and you would probally be happy for a little while.. Then when you get your *** busted you'll want something faster and that's when you can wait untill your 18 for a b,k,or h series motor.

goodluck bro
Old 08-21-2005, 07:01 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: need some serious help (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

welcome to honda-tech..
how old are you? maybe you can wait untill your 18, then swap that worthless p.o.s motor

Nah on a more serious note: You could piece together a DIY turbo kit or for little or less money.. lighten the car up.. take the **** out that you don't need.. Go with a nice header, Nice full exhaust, And a intake and you would probally be happy for a little while.. Then when you get your *** busted you'll want something faster and that's when you can wait untill your 18 for a b,k,or h series motor.

goodluck bro</TD></TR></TABLE>His profile says he's 25, **** do a swap at a buddies house and if mom finds out tell her to **** off cause your 25. But on a serious note now. So you want mad speed with little money, hmm the only thing that really comes to mind is nitrous. Make it a 75 shot or anything higher, that way the block you have in there now will most likely detonate and your mom will have to let you get a swap..
Old 08-21-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: need some serious help (HondaFanatic708)

thanks for the help.....but im being serious on this....im kinda stuck with this car for a couple years..whats the cheapest i could buy a nice turbo kit for? and would it be alright to strap on a car with 130k miles?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cheapest? You have to look around. Ebay. HT classifieds. Junkyards. You need to do alot of research in the forced induction forum. Read read and read. Then when you are ready to get parts, Read some more. And yes, 130k is alright. I'm almost ready to put a kit on and my car is at 203k.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

lets say standard my car puts out 107hp...if i put a dyi turbo-8in. intercooler, header, intake and possibly new exhaust. how much hp am i lookin to gain...estimation?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A good average is about 10 hp/ lb of boost. Or so I hear.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:07 PM

since you say that you cant swap, i recommend that you put a turbo kit on that probably give you at least 50 to 60 more horses by running 6 to 8 pound of boost. if you want more boost, you going to have to buy low comp pistons. up grade fuel injectors, fuel pump and an ecu (P28).
Old 08-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off. With a turbo you can't use headers. So, scrap the header Idea.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

put on a big spoiler (now now, dont go cheap, remember, bigger = faster) if you can't mount it, just velcro it on, itll stay, trust me. then buy some 22" chrome rims so your car weighs less and buy some "tight" stickers to put on the side. that will make you go fast.

but with rice aside, piece together a turbo kit...buy a crx HF (i think) exhaust manifold, make an adapter plate and hit up your local junkyrad and get the turbo off of an eagle talon for a safe 5-7 psi range...and so on in that fashion
Old 08-22-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

thanks guys, ne other ideas?

is there a site i can go to to just read, read, read about all this?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:48 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (dosterschill7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dosterschill7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys, ne other ideas?

is there a site i can go to to just read, read, read about all this?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hey buddy,

Welcome to the site. There are a number of routes you can choose to go with your car. First and foremost, you need to learn how to sift throught the BS on this site.

Check out this link that which talks briefly about the swaps that you could potentially do: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010

From there, you should have a grasp on the pros and cons of each engine and you are now ready to learn more specifics about each engine.

D series Upgrades:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=335078

B series swap (what's involved):
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=856396

H22 info:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=362984
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=650329 (How To)

Or, if you decide to go with the FI route, here's a writeup on how to install a turbo kit on B series. This'll show you what's invovled.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=635014

I suggest you read all these links thoroughly and then talk to ppl that have each of these setups and find out how they like them, etc. I definetly recommend that you try and ride in a car with a swap that you're thikning about. Try and feel it first hand.

Learning about your car is fun during the modding process. The only way you really learn, is if you do the work yourself. Buy a helms: http://www.helminc.com (it's your new bible). Buy a good quality ratchet set. Take it slow at first, start wtih suspension and brake upgrades before you think about upgrading your power. This way, you'll become familiar with working on your car, and when you do upgrade your power, you're car will be able to handle it. Modding is all about balance so keep that in mind.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dosterschill7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im new to the tuning sport but im extremely interested and ready to learn...my brother just gave me his 1996 civic dx(i believe, very standard) no air no power locks and no power steering... i know the engine is a d16y7, which is only pushing about 107 horses.. what should i do to the engine to gain mad speed with little money...
thanks for the help guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

WELL the only thing you can do with out "swap" is to go boost! Your only options for mad speed! Good Luck, and i hopw yo have money too, just not wanting mad speed. No money then the only mad speed you'll have will be in ur dreams at night or day, depending on when you sleep!

And by the way WELCOME to Honda-Tech!!