Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Max Horse Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max Horse Power

I was having a discussion with a friend that says he can get a certain amount of horse power out of a 4 cyl engine. I am not a car guy, but the #'s he was quoting seemed astonomically high compared to the horse power of some other super cars that cost over 100x his car. My question is, in perfect conditions, with unlimited resources, what would your opinion be on the maximum horse power you can get out of a 4 cyl engine for a civic? Keep in mind, endurance is not a factor, I don't care if the engine is a glob of molten steel after it finishes the dyno test, I would just like to know the potential of the engine. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Max Horse Power (neverhadahonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neverhadahonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was having a discussion with a friend that says he can get a certain amount of horse power out of a 4 cyl engine. I am not a car guy, but the #'s he was quoting seemed astonomically high compared to the horse power of some other super cars that cost over 100x his car. My question is, in perfect conditions, with unlimited resources, what would your opinion be on the maximum horse power you can get out of a 4 cyl engine for a civic? Keep in mind, endurance is not a factor, I don't care if the engine is a glob of molten steel after it finishes the dyno test, I would just like to know the potential of the engine. Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you say civic, do mean a SOHC or DOHC engine? a b-series or an h? and what are the #'s your friend is claiming to get?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 AM

He said 4 cylinder. So I guess anything goes.

4000 hp Integra that we all know of...

http://videos.streetfire.net/i...F472C
Old 10-11-2006, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Max Horse Power (philosofy1)

I don't want to give the #'s yet, I want to see who in our conversation is handicapped first. For the other questions, just in your mind put together the best engine you possibly could, using for cyl and let me know how much horse power, I know he's got a DOHC and he said he it is an Acura racing engine from Japan.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neverhadahonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't want to give the #'s yet, I want to see who in our conversation is handicapped first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then you're looking for this thread to be locked.

as far as max power to the engine, it all really depends on the type of application, time, and of coarse money.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive read about a daily driven civic that had 900hp on the motor and approx 720ish at the wheels
Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">then you're looking for this thread to be locked.

as far as max power to the engine, it all really depends on the type of application, time, and of coarse money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neverhadahonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was having a discussion with a friend that says he can get a certain amount of horse power out of a 4 cyl engine. I am not a car guy, but the #'s he was quoting seemed astonomically high compared to the horse power of some other super cars that cost over 100x his car. My question is, in perfect conditions, with unlimited resources, what would your opinion be on the maximum horse power you can get out of a 4 cyl engine for a civic? Keep in mind, endurance is not a factor, I don't care if the engine is a glob of molten steel after it finishes the dyno test, I would just like to know the potential of the engine. Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sticking with the 4000 hp integra. 65 psi twin turbo and nitro.

There is also a thread somewhere on HT that lists dyno sheets for various members on the site. Some of them are pretty high. Theoretically, though, you could probably make a ridiculous amount of hp out of any engine....but it would be totally impractical.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Max Horse Power (TorquelessB16)

this should be in GDD, not here.