Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some help- I've searched

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start- I've searched

Ok I am posting this for my bro in law.

He just installed a JRSC on his 98 Civic EX. He ran into a problem with a SC belt jumping, which the shop fixed. A week before he brought the car to the shop to fix the car was having some problems starting, after having it jump it would start

Now here's the dilemma.
The shop changed the battery, new dist. rotor and/or cap and still wont start. The shop went through all the diagnostics testing from Honda and everything is working, but saying might be the ECU, haven't spoke to him tonight to find out for sure. As of this afternoon they say all the sensors are good and working, there's fuel and spark. These guys works on Hondas all day long and are real good with them.
This is what my Bro in law told me: The car can't start in the morning, but will start in the afternoon. I assumed there was moisture build up during the night and dried up by the afternoon time when it got warmer.

The mechanic said "the car doesn't want to start if you keep turning the ignition, but if you let go of the key and the motor has enough momentem it'll catch and start". Any ideas?

This is what's done:
Jackson Racing Supercharger
MSD unit w/ timing control, not sure which one (car is in Florida, i'm in NY)
Upgraded fuel pump
2000 Civic Si injectors
new dist rotor
new battery
sensors good
distributor was cleaned
there's spark and fuel
JR fuel regulator
new plugs and wires 1-1.5k ago

I'm thinking now that the he may be getting too much fuel and flooding it?? It seem to have started happening a week or so after the injectors, from memory but haven't confirmed it yet.

The car is 5 years old coming can it be the ECU. Thanks for the help.

John

[Modified by jas4811, 4:43 AM 11/20/2002]

[Modified by jas4811, 4:49 AM 11/20/2002]
Old 11-20-2002, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Car won't start- I've searched (jas4811)

I'm not great at the Ignition System yet.. But I do know that on some old cars, if something like that happens.. You problem is you've got an open where the R wire from the Starter Solenoid comes up and attaches itself after the Ballast Resistor.. Which in turn would give the Ignition System Full Battery Voltage and allow it to start..

And if the R wire were to be open, it wouldn't send any power to the Ignition System at Start.. But once you let go of the Key and the Ignition Key is set to ON, the Ignition System will get the power it needs to cause a Spark...

Now on these new cars, I'm not sure.. But according to a wiring diagram, it seems as if there's no Ballast Resistor and that the Computer has taken over that job..

And since you did say that it doesn't start when it's cold outside.. I want to ask what happends when you turn the key to START and it doesn't crank over.. Is it trying to crank over??.. Does it just click??..

Because if it just clicks, what I'd do is grab the wires going to the Starter Solenoid and give them a good tug and see if they're loose.. I could go on forever, but I get tired of typing..

But that's just me... Good Luck..
Old 11-20-2002, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1 word... MSD

Yank it.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Car won't start- I've searched (PnX-R)(ScrapinSi)

ScrapinSi, I spoke to the mechanic today and they said they have been working on the car and starting it with the MSD unit out. Thanks though

PnX-R, Thanks for the the help. The car does turnover in the morning just doesn't want to start. the current situation is the car will start for sure if you jump it. They ran a diagonostic and got 14V off the battery but only 11V or so to the distrubutor, but again if you jump it it'll start right away. They figure it might be a gound wire/strap.

Any other thoughts. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:51 PM

ok, Thanks for all the help.

The car came out of the shop today. They change the ground straps and it starts fine.

I just spoke with my bro in law and the mechanic now is saying it's nort running enough fuel.

he has a MSD BTM unit(not ignition as previouly stated), a walbro 255lp fuel pump, 2000 civic si injectors and a jackson racing boost compensating fuel pressure regulator, with a B&M fuel pressure gauge before injectors (60psi) and a autometer a/f reding 2 greens over in boost.

Car is feeling sluggish from idle to 2500 rpm.

Is there something wrong? i work mostly with DSM and a 255 walbro is alot of fuel even for a supercharged car. As i said before I think it too much fuel not enough spark. Need some input please. Thanks for the help.

John

[Modified by jas4811, 10:51 PM 11/22/2002]