Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm Stumped, Car Won't Start!!! Please Help

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Stumped, Car Won't Start!!! Please Help

This is the problem I've been having for the past couple of weeks. My car started acting up so I gave it a tune up, I replaced the alternator, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and changed all the fuses.

My car takes forever to start (If it even starts at all) I checked the starter and it seems to be fine, took it to Autoparts store to have all the electrical components checked and they are all fine.

I know that I am getting good spark and fuel. My battery is also new, connectors are not corroded and grounds are also new. Upon my research I came to wonder if it could be my main relay, i pulled it out and everything seems fine. I am just completely lost now.

Once I start the car it runs great, no rough idles or anything. Just starting it is a pain. If anyone has any input on this matter, your help would be greatly appreciated. This is the only car I have and I need it for work.

I have also done some searches here but nothing comes up that is like this problem I'm having... Can anyone help me with this?

Oh and yeah when i crank it, the fuel pump does come on and I checked the fuel injectors and fuel filter to make sure I'm getting fuel...

Thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm Stumped, Car Won't Start!!! Please Help (98civichb)

have you tried to use another distributor? my car took a long time to start when my distributor started to go bad and then it would start at all. i would look at the igniter in the distributor.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm Stumped, Car Won't Start!!! Please Help (ejprimo)

i haven't checked any of the distributor parts, for some reason I can't see it being that. But either way would that explain why my car runs fine after i do start it? Also at times i would be driving it like normal and all of a sudden the engine would shut off but all electrical stuff would stay on? I can't explain that one either... it sucks and i'm getting hopeless...

thanks for your input, ill check that today
Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and another thing, everytime I go to start my car... I turn the key, it cranks and it turns on but immediately shuts off within like seconds.. Thats why I'm leaning more toward the Main Relay as the culprit...

Anymore information or advice is greatly appreciated, I wanna get this thing over with!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My new car (new to me) does that too. I haven't had time to mess with it yet. It will crank forever but when it starts it runs great, its just the cold start, after its warmed up it will start instantly... It hurts my head.

I have changed only my coil so far, and it does the same thing, so I can't help too much

You said you checked your fuel filter, I would change it if I were you, that was my next plan.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it sucks man, it's the only transportation I have to get to work but whatever.. I think you should try the main relay for yours, im thinking mine is the ignition coil in the distributor...

other ideas?? thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98civichb)

Yeah I was gonna ty my main relay just to see, but I doubt its the problem but I have an extra one laying around so why not.

Like I said, the first thing I changed was the coil, but it didn't help. And if you don't have one laying around it sucks because they are expensive lol.

Good luck man. Does your start up fine after the car is warmed up like mine?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats why I'm leaning more toward the Main Relay, after my car is started and warmed up its stays strong but as soon as I shut it off and attempt to start it again, the same problem occurs... It just cranks and cranks and cranks until eventually after like 10 attempts it starts...

It actually seems to start everytime I try but almost simultaneously shuts off short after... I dunno !!!

Thanks Again!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this on cold or hot starts? or both?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it takes longer on cold starts, but it also happens on hot starts... although the hot ones don't take very long to actually start... so all in all, it happens on both!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Re: (kuja396)

sounds like a ground issue to me, there is a main ground from the passenger side frame rail to the trans, on from the core support to valve cover and one from the neg. batt cable to the body, if anyone of those is loose, sometimes it will work an sometimes it wont, but being that everything else stays on i would almost garuntee that its the ground from the top of the trans to the car....everything will work without it, except the motor that is so check it out and check for corrosion too....hope this helps