Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need To Smog A B16A2 Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need To Smog A B16A2 Hatchback

I've just bought a 1996 Civic Cx Hatchback with a B16A2.
The Hatch is running a Straight welded pipe all the way to the exhaust and running on no O2 sensors so its eating premium gas like it's candy. The ECU it's running on is a P72 chipped to flash no CEL. The engine has a Blox Intake Manifold, DC air intake, DC header and Skunk 2 camshaft. The car is running on the stock OBDI wiring harness too.

Possible solutions that my friends and I thought of was get two Cats and weld them together, and then but the O2 sensors and attach it to the last cat hoping that the first one if filter the air before reaching the sensor.

Any other ideas? I tried to buy universal cats online but they wouldn't sell it to me because I live in California. Does anyone know where i can find stock Cats?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need To Smog A B16A2 Hatchback (kphamx)

any junkyard would have some kind of cats for you to use.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can find oem cat from yunk yard .but they wont bolt on cause u have b series swap.u will have to have it welded because the flangs dont match.or u can get gsr oem cat, i think it will be a direct bolt on.for what i did to my eg hatch with b16a is, i have a muffler shop welded on a new cat and a new flange to bolt on to the b16a oem header
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aw man. You should have did your research before buying the car. You have a lot more ahead of you than just a cat.

Now forgive me here, I know more about CA smog law than I do the specifics of the B series motors.

First of all, 96+ Civics are OBD2, so an OBD1 harness is NOT stock.

Secondly, no USDM Civics came with a B series until 99. All those aftermarket parts are going to throw up red flags, and the smog tech is going to see "B16" stamped on your block instead of "D16", so he's going to fail you immediately and refer you to a ref station.

This is where it gets really fun. The motor is going to have to be the same year or newer than your car. It must have all the original smog equipment intact from either your car or the donor car. If any smog controlled parts ie that intake manifold, intake pipe, header are not CA smog legal, you'll have to replace them with stock parts or aftermarket CARB legal parts. The ECU must be the correct one for the motor. You HAVE to have an OBD2 motor and ECU. And since the ECU is OBD2, they can probably detect if it's been modified (I don't think people are modifying OBD2 Honda ECUs yet anyway).

The Skunk2 stage 2 is smog illegal if I'm not mistaken, and probably has a lot of overlap so it's going to make it very difficult to pass even if you don't tell them about it.

Hopefully the ecu is ONLY chipped to ignore the second O2 sensor and not to ignore all trouble codes. I can't think of any reason why someone would want to blind themself like that.

Last of all, I don't know what you're talking about the cat not being sold in CA. I have bought many aftermarket cats and I live in San Diego just like you. Call Summit and get a Magnaflow/Catco high flow cat.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need To Smog A B16A2 Hatchback (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aw man. You should have did your research before buying the car. You have a lot more ahead of you than just a cat.

Now forgive me here, I know more about CA smog law than I do the specifics of the B series motors.

First of all, 96+ Civics are OBD2, so an OBD1 harness is NOT stock.

Secondly, no USDM Civics came with a B series until 99. All those aftermarket parts are going to throw up red flags, and the smog tech is going to see "B16" stamped on your block instead of "D16", so he's going to fail you immediately and refer you to a ref station.

This is where it gets really fun. The motor is going to have to be the same year or newer than your car. It must have all the original smog equipment intact from either your car or the donor car. If any smog controlled parts ie that intake manifold, intake pipe, header are not CA smog legal, you'll have to replace them with stock parts or aftermarket CARB legal parts. The ECU must be the correct one for the motor. You HAVE to have an OBD2 motor and ECU. And since the ECU is OBD2, they can probably detect if it's been modified (I don't think people are modifying OBD2 Honda ECUs yet anyway).

The Skunk2 stage 2 is smog illegal if I'm not mistaken, and probably has a lot of overlap so it's going to make it very difficult to pass even if you don't tell them about it.

Hopefully the ecu is ONLY chipped to ignore the second O2 sensor and not to ignore all trouble codes. I can't think of any reason why someone would want to blind themself like that.

Last of all, I don't know what you're talking about the cat not being sold in CA. I have bought many aftermarket cats and I live in San Diego just like you. Call Summit and get a Magnaflow/Catco high flow cat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

QFT!!!!

Are the BLOX IM's CARB certified? If not I would hunt down a stock IM.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:12 AM

u the man
Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need To Smog A B16A2 Hatchback (crazyguy)

illegal smog it or put everything back to stock as a b16a2 and take it to the state referee. i have the stock ecu if you need it. and for the dude up top b16a3 came in the 94-95 del sols
Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Secondly, no USDM Civics came with a B series until 99. All those aftermarket parts are going to throw up red flags, and the smog tech is going to see "B16" stamped on your block instead of "D16", so he's going to fail you immediately and refer you to a ref station.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought a Del sol was considered a civic. 94 to 95 dohc vtec (obd1) and 96-97 dohc vtec (obd2).
Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 PM

I heard high flows don't filter out well. and we were hoping two cats would filter out enough so we don't have to take out the cams.

How much does it cost to BAR?

Old 09-01-2007, 12:23 AM

is there any place to buy a Cat that's not high flow? I'm expecting two normal OEM spec Cats to filter out the emissions of the skunk 2 cams and everything else.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need To Smog A B16A2 Hatchback (civic2slo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic2slo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought a Del sol was considered a civic. 94 to 95 dohc vtec (obd1) and 96-97 dohc vtec (obd2).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Insert foot in mouth. Yeah, I guess you got me there. But it doesn't affect his situation.

A good high flow cat "filters" just as fine as any cat. I've been passing smog on mine for years, and the only reason I got it is because the stock one was bad. The previous owner burned lots of oil and coolant.

I just don't see two cats doing any better than one.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 PM

Well the harness is OBDII, so that was my mistake but the ecu is the OBDI. We ran the car with an OBDII ecu from Civic Dx Sedan and it threw a cell, I think it was 1519, something like that. Getting a Stock SI ecu soon and in the process in getting it Bar'd. We figured Two Cats would provide more catalytic material to filter. Whats funny is that its reading one O2 sensor but the car has none. What can be going on?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: (kphamx)

Are you sure there isnt an o2 attached to the harness? Could it be attached but just hanging there? You dont need to get two ECU's and if you do go with two DEFINITELY do not go OEM new they caost 200+ a piece. There are plenty of people in your area with more advanced settings than yours passing carb. If its eating up that much gas Im going to lean towards you need a better tune and badly. Get the stock SI ecu hook it up and your running rich worries should be far gone. Get a cat bring it to a muffler shop and have them attach it properly or do it yourself. Also if you bring it to a muffler shop have them put in bungs for your 02 sensors get two o2 sensors from ebay they should be good to pass cali laws and put them in thats all i can think of. But Im probably wrong in so many levels but Ill be corrected if I am.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:49 PM

I checked the harness and nothing is plugged into the o2 sensor ports.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: (kphamx)

It must be the chip saying there is one then.