Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Opinion on a SWAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:31 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Need Opinion on a SWAP!!

How is that an attack? It's an exchange of ideas. Get over it. Besides. YOU asked ME a question. Did you not?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not here not before i mentioned my b16b <3 lol
I take it ur just an over achiever kinda guy who is always gotta be ontop, i get that and i forgive you since im actually so used to it lol its just your nature its ok..

AnywYs lol as for this thread, girl, ha id go with a b series like i said or maybe even the prelude motors like this guy has. Depends on what you love go for it !!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go for displacement for bottom end first, then add top end later. I only say this b/c on the budget your limited to plus the fact you want a b series. And PLEASE don't waste any $ on a 1.6 its just too small, you'll get beat by anything 1.8 and bigger IF you stay in $2K range.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

For $2k she's not going to get a B16B, k20, etc any hows.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't touch the torque less wonder aka b16. I waited over a year with plans on buying a gsr swap through HMO for my hatch. I managed to find a mint 99 gsr swap complete with 80k miles and brand new water pump and timing belt for $1500. It may take a while and you have to have the cash to be able to jump on a deal right away but it can been done if you take your time and look everywhere!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
If it were me

B20Z
LS or GSR transmission
Need axles, mounts, ecu, other odds and ends (hoses, fluids)
Probably wanna do a clutch kit and timing belt kit as well as some tuneup items

$2k can be done if you do some extreme couponing and shop cheap like a mad man
Location: Westchester. I'm assuming that means Westchester LA, which means a B20 is definitely out of the question.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guess my jdm b18c wasn't a bad deal for 1600 then, w/a/c comp, p/s pump. That was 2009- maybe price has come down since then from the K craze??
Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a Westchester in ny also
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by RT_NEWYORK
There's a Westchester in ny also
I'm aware, but the majority of HT members are located in CA. I also believe many localities in NY have to go through smog and visual inspections, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, the B20 is illegal on a federal level. It isn't that hard to make power without breaking the law.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if they do they didnt do a good job. On my civic I have a bad cat and rear 02, I had to replace my battery so the cel got reset, I went to local inspection shop and passed lol

Last edited by RT_NEWYORK; 02-16-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Then you're in a locality that doesn't require visual/smog.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I'm aware, but the majority of HT members are located in CA. I also believe many localities in NY have to go through smog and visual inspections, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, the B20 is illegal on a federal level. It isn't that hard to make power without breaking the law.
That is not true. It is on a state level that determines if it is legal to put a light truck motor in a passenger vehicle.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were you, I would continue saving up money if my current engine has no problems.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
That is not true. It is on a state level that determines if it is legal to put a light truck motor in a passenger vehicle.

It is illegal on a federal level. It's up to the states if they chose to enforce said law. I know my laws. Since most people can't actually read and comprehend legal jargon, here's a memo from the EPA regarding motor swaps.

Engine Switching Fact Sheet

It's only three pages long, and they make a point to differentiate between "light duty vehicles" (passenger cars) and "heavy duty vehicles" (trucks, SUVs, crossovers, and minivans). They also reference the legal codes directly related to this conversation.

Please don't try to "call me out" on the law unless you're willing to prove me wrong.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Poor woman's ITR.

Had to say it.

First get some more money and then go all the way.

Guys like it.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

His deal is hes explaining his opinions bro. As stTed about hes gonn correct yalls asses if he feels the need to. Po i would search junk yards and get a b20 for a good price and go from there. Jdm swap is gonna be too much loot. Have you looked into what is necissary for the swap? Ecu, wiring and stuff like that?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** didnt see the second page... After i get bored with my sol ill get a hatch and do a b20 vtec swap. Love not having emmisions tests. Barely and visual inspections
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

According to the law almost none of HMO's engines are legal unless they came from a US donor car but like said above its up to your state to determine so check with your state. I'll be honest there's no "men in black" that will pull you over and confiscate your car if you have a JDM engine or otherwise (perhaps California being an exception ) so I'd just conform to your state's laws as that will be the governing body that will allow or disallow your being passed for emissions. Its pretty ridiculous anyhow because a CRV in almost every shape and form is a Civic (passenger vehicle) with basically an Integra engine (passenger vehicle).
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Shop locally for a gsr, that is going to be your best option.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman

It is illegal on a federal level. It's up to the states if they chose to enforce said law. I know my laws. Since most people can't actually read and comprehend legal jargon, here's a memo from the EPA regarding motor swaps.

Engine Switching Fact Sheet

It's only three pages long, and they make a point to differentiate between "light duty vehicles" (passenger cars) and "heavy duty vehicles" (trucks, SUVs, crossovers, and minivans). They also reference the legal codes directly related to this conversation.

Please don't try to "call me out" on the law unless you're willing to prove me wrong.
You were right and I was wrong.
Wasn't trying to call you out or anything I just tend to know more about laws then most since that is my job and I work in the court house. Granted I deal with state laws primarily and Florida for that matter where we have zero emission testing. From what I read though, it sounds like there are a few loop holes that would allow the swap
Old 02-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with doctorace do it right the first time unless you can come up with some more $$$ ill sell you a itr swap
Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Build your sohc :p hahaha boy am I asking for a slap to the face hahaha, but budget wise youre probably stuck with an ls, is this your only vehicle?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya, lol it would take that much $ to make a single slammer put out what a stock gsr does WITH cast iron exhaust manifold!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
You were right and I was wrong.
Wasn't trying to call you out or anything I just tend to know more about laws then most since that is my job and I work in the court house. Granted I deal with state laws primarily and Florida for that matter where we have zero emission testing. From what I read though, it sounds like there are a few loop holes that would allow the swap
It's all good, man. There are a few loop holes that would allow the swap, but they're expensive and time consuming to do. It involves a shitload of paperwork with the EPA, and a shitload of testing at your expense. As for what they say about international motor swaps, that's the beauty of our Hondas - as long as you don't go saying "Hey, I got this motor shipped from Japan", they can't call you on it for a number of motors.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Shop locally for a gsr, that is going to be your best option.
i agree with doctorake. i have a gsr swapped eg hatch and it is amazing. just the stock b18c1 keeps up with if not beats most cars around. here in a couple weeks i am building my motor for boost and come april or may i will be boosting. goal is low to mid 400's and its gonna be a complete moster. so if you could just save a little bit more money i would get the gsr. you will not be dissapointed. IMO the best swap. stock vtec cracks about 4500 rpm and rev limit is set at about 8300 rpms. just a beasty honda motor.

Quick Reply: Need Opinion on a SWAP!!