Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need info on motor swaps

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on motor swaps

okay well, i have a 99 civic ex with a d16y8. i'm considering swaping in a stock gsr motor, but my dad is wondering if it'll be okay to do because he doesnt want me to waste my money. he's worried whether it'll be safe or not, so he wants to see what more knowledable people think.. soo.. if you guys could post your opinions, thoughts, anything i'd appreciate it. thanks.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:38 PM

Default Re: need info on motor swaps (jaminonyourface)

as long as you buy a good motor that is your same obd meaning 99 or up gsr it will go right in with little problems. if you get a motor that is before that year you will have to look into getting a conversion harness to make the computer hook up. that is what you will probably have to do. as far as being safe its as safe as the driver behind the wheel...... you can also use the search function to find past threads that will answer all your questions as to what you will need to have for the swap
Old 07-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

i have a GSR swap in my hatch. it replaced the stock D16Z6 which is basically an older version of your motor.

if you have someone swap it in that knows what they're doing... your civic EX will think it's a GSR.

you'll need an '00 or '01 B18C1 for it to be legal. but don't go any older than '96 or you'll have to convert your OBDII car to OBDI and it's just sort of a hassle.

i love my swap.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome newbie, haha.....stock gsr in ex is fine, you even have vtec already wired which makes life easier when swapping, anyways since i noticed that you live in bayarea you might want to consider a 99+ stock gsr motor to be completely legal in CA, but if you dont care then by all means any B series motor will work, oh yeah i suggest you use Honda-Tech's Search button because this site has lots of info....good luck
Old 07-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need info on motor swaps (CivicNA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicNA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as far as being safe its as safe as the driver behind the wheel...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

true that.

the motor swap should be safe as long as you get everything done right. Get a 99+ motor and everything should be alright, even with the law. (assume its stock of course)
Old 07-04-2003, 01:00 AM

Default Re: need info on motor swaps (Milano2kDC2)

aite. thanks for the help everyone. i appreciate it.

Old 07-04-2003, 01:01 AM

Default Re: need info on motor swaps (xhatchracerx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xhatchracerx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welcome newbie</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. haha. this question does make my friend sound like a noobie. he just needs some written opinions to qualm his father's doubts. we'll have plenty of help with the engine and of course all the h-t fellows too.