Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: West Bakalakadaka St., Durka Durka Mohammed Gihad, WMDs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP

Ok, I've tried everything to get this damn crank pulley bolt off. Somebody tell me whether this stupid *** bolt is left-threaded or not. It's a 97 HX. I've tried a 3/4" impact on this bitch and it still won't budge. If it is not a left-handed thread bolt can somebody gimme tips on how to get this bitch to break. I'm tired of this. I just have to change the head gasket but I've been stuck on this crank pulley for 2 days. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP (Nsane1)

Do a search, I remember seeing something on this. Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP (Bcuz)

Attatch the biggest ratchet you have to the socket you're using and brace said ratchet's handle against some part of the car or floor that will not flex. Now, carefully bump the starter a couple times so the torque of the starter is the actuating force on the ratchet. It should bump a couple times and, if the ratchet is properly braced, break loose what you need
Old 06-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP (93ejay1)

same thing somebody else told me. Then a small time mechanic where I live told me it's left handed threads. I was just making sure that it wasn't. (it's not right?)
Old 06-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm... you dont have to take that bolt off to do a headgasket... i never do... i just loosen the tensioner and you can slide the belt off the cam gear... then just use a bungee cord to hold it out of the way... but if you need to get it off somewhere down the line you can rent this tool from autozone... it looks like a breaker bar with a chain on the end... you wrap this around the crank pulley and have someone hold it while another uses whatever they can to break the bolt loose... it can end up working pretty well but sometimes it can nick up the pulley... we also have a tool at work that fits inside the pulley and holds it and you can put a socket or whatever you need through it to get on the nut... we never use this though... impacts always work fine
Old 06-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Attatch the biggest ratchet you have to the socket you're using and brace said ratchet's handle against some part of the car or floor that will not flex. Now, carefully bump the starter a couple times so the torque of the starter is the actuating force on the ratchet. It should bump a couple times and, if the ratchet is properly braced, break loose what you need</TD></TR></TABLE>
How's that gonna work when the pulley spins the same direction as the bolt?<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neutron91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... impacts always work fine</TD></TR></TABLE> So far I have used a 1/2" impact and a 3/4" impact and neither could do it.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nsane1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, I've tried everything to get this damn crank pulley bolt off. Somebody tell me whether this stupid *** bolt is left-threaded or not. It's a 97 HX. I've tried a 3/4" impact on this bitch and it still won't budge. If it is not a left-handed thread bolt can somebody gimme tips on how to get this bitch to break. I'm tired of this. I just have to change the head gasket but I've been stuck on this crank pulley for 2 days. Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't believe your 3/4 didn't work, My 1/2 gun works with no problem(T2135).
Old 06-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP (Bcuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can't believe your 3/4 didn't work, My 1/2 gun works with no problem(T2135).</TD></TR></TABLE>
No joke. I was like since the 1/2" doesn't work I'll show this bolt's *** w/ a 3/4". That'll definately take it off. Well, the Bolt showed my *** cause it's still on there and doesn't show any sign of coming off anytime soon.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 PM

In that case get yourself an M80, place it behind your harmonic balancer, light that bitch, run like hell. LOL
Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you sure you got enough air goin to that impact??
Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what I did.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1193016

Compliments of LShatchie
Old 06-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did that setup in from above. and just sat on it.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jerbear!)

how hard is it to remove the guard for the flywheel and the starter? How long will it take?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Attatch the biggest ratchet you have to the socket you're using and brace said ratchet's handle against some part of the car or floor that will not flex. Now, carefully bump the starter a couple times so the torque of the starter is the actuating force on the ratchet. It should bump a couple times and, if the ratchet is properly braced, break loose what you need</TD></TR></TABLE>
You've never tried this have you?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP (Chiovnidca)

not on a honda but i have on other cars and it works
Old 06-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not on a honda but i have on other cars and it works</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you dont know if it works or not, shut the hell up. It doesn't.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nsane1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nsane1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how hard is it to remove the guard for the flywheel and the starter? How long will it take?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the same amount of time it takes to unscrew 3 screws
Old 06-29-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: (jerbear!)

hose is in pb blaster, i had to go buy an ingersol rand Thunder gun for it because i hadthe block on a stand. but with a good 1/2" drive breaker bar you should be able to lick it in the car. its normal threaded.. good luck
Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96CivicBoostCoupe)

ok, I just tried using a 3 ft breaker bar and still nothing. Of course I could hardly get the motor to stop spinning but... I also tried heating and cooling the bolt w/ a propane torch and ice. Took the 3/4 impact back to it and still nada. This bitch is pissing me off. Anymore bright ideas?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nsane1)

take it to a shop with a better impact gun
then tighten it back up
then drive it back up and finish the job

Old 06-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not on a honda but i have on other cars and it works</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also do this on other cars . However, because of the rotation of a Honda engine, it won't work for this kid
Old 06-29-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP (Archidictus)

When i took off my crank pully to replace my timing belt and water pump... its a b!tch... You would need a high power impact gun to shot it out... good luck with the braker bar if that pully never been loosing up before
Old 06-29-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also do this on other cars . However, because of the rotation of a Honda engine, it won't work for this kid </TD></TR></TABLE>
well thanks for letting me know that and not being a ****** ***** like Chiovnidca. ive never had to take it off a honda before, i was just trying to be helpful and that ******* says stupid **** and nothing useful to this thread
Old 06-29-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP (neutron91)

If you really want to take the pully off and being sitting around for 3 days now. You should listen to this guy. because if you are out of ideas do what he says.... use a chain that has a long handle on it. this will be the only way to get if off at home without the right air for you tools....
Old 06-30-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP (Fongman)

if you can lock the flywheel to the block with a bolt, i did that once, but i had an act streetlight flywheel, i dont rember if the honda one has holes in it or not

Quick Reply: Need help w/ crank question on SOHC ASAP