Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need help TIMING BELT with b16a3 on del sol

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help TIMING BELT with b16a3 on del sol

I am almost giving up hope. Someone help me or give me ideas please. THANKS

here's the story:

It started with my spark plug wires (nology) keeps popping out of the dizzy.
I was going down hill and the car died.
Found out the problem was a timing belt jump. One gear was up and the other was almost downward. The inner camshaft or cam gear (the shaft thats close to the intake manifold) was the problem. Its stuck or something
I replaced timing belt, water pump, tensioner, all belts, and spark plug wires with all OEM HOnda parts.
The car started and worked fine.
Then rpm was going crazy and replaced the module in the dizzy. PROBLEM SOLVED but the car won't start again. I found out that the timing jumped again. This time one gear was up and the inner gear was about 100 degrees off.
AGAIN I removed everything and and installed it back. The tensioner is tight at 40lbs and everything worked fine. I drove the car for about 50miles and the timing belt is jumping again. THis time I left the upper timing belt cover off it check it. Its off about 20 degrees now and its gonna get worst. The engine is smoking now when its hot
My problem is that my camshaft is stuck or not spinning right. I don't know what to do. Its been almost 3 years and I really want my del sol to be reliable. SOMEONE help please
Old 04-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: need help TIMING BELT with b16a3 on del sol (evolution49)

hate to say it but it kinda sounds like your sol might not be too reliable now. are you sure that the cam's getting stuck? if it is getting stuck chances are that you've got a lot more problems than meets the eye. you might wanna check to see if the timing belt is too loose after you tighten the tensioner. if it is loosen the tensioner, and start to rotate the crankshaft pulley via the 19mm bolt. when the engine comes up on a compression stroke, make sure that the belt is tight on both sides of the cams, then tighten the tensioner. not sure if any of these are the problem, but hope it gives you a start.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like youre never adjusting the tensioner bolt properly - I did that to my first belt job...bent 12 valves
If I were you.....I wouldve pulled the head a looong time ago
Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

the tensioner is tight and so is the belt. Maybe the head is messed up from the first timing belt jump. Also I didn't marked the TDC the first time. Could that be the problem why my camshaft gets stuck. By stuck i mean it doesn't turning with the inner shaft
Old 04-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When youre adjusting the tensioner, youre supposed to do it in stanges - loosen tensioner, rotate the crank a few teeth, retighten tensioner, rotate a few more teeth, loosen and retighten, etc...you cant just do it once.
Maybe that is how youre doing it...but that would mean youre using the wrong belt - thats the only way it could skip repeatedly like this.
Either way...you had a cam pressing down the valves when the pistons were up, several times....that is never good