Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help quick plz, no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help quick plz, no start

As you might know by my name 02Accord..my Accord was totaled by a Highway Patrol, it was their fault.

Anyways I needed a car and I bought a 1993 Honda Civic 1.5 Dx I bought it for the better gas mileage I was getting 40+mpg

Here is the story and what has been done to the car. When I bought the car the dude said it needed a fuel pump. I got one from the Junkyard that was an aftermarket one and looked brand new.

We put it in the tank and I noticed how gummed up and rusty looking the tank was but it was low on gas. I drove the car after putting gas in the tank and it ran great so I bought it.

When driving it home it ran like crap, I got home and popped the spark plug wires out and the #3 wire was broken, it wasn't even touching the spark plug. I went to Autozone and bought 4 new plugs(NGK V power) and 4 new spark plug wire(Duralast).

After doing so it ran great! I drove the car and sometimes the fuel pump wouldn't pump. Sometimes it will run for a long time and the next time you go to start the car it won't pump. So I ran a cigarette plugin and hot-wired the fuel pump so that, if it ever did stop pumping, I could plug in the cigarette outlet and you can hear the fuel pump and drive it away, then when it's running I unplug the plugin.

I went to the Junkyard and got 2 Main Relays for the car. After installing the Main Relays, I haven't had that problem with the fuel pump.

The car would hesitate, spit and sputter on light acceleration. When I inspected the distributor, I noticed that the spring with the carbon rod wasn't attached to the distributor and you could pull it off.

I bought a brand new Distributor(Not Re manufactured) Brand new, with cap and rotor.

I checked the timing with the timing light and it's spot on.(I even did the jumper wire for the plug on the passenger side) The car ran really good and didn't spit and sputter, but when I put some Marvel Mystery oil(to clean the fuel injectors), the car would spit and sputter. I bought a brand new Fuel Filter. Still didn't change.

I've been driving it like that for a good time but just a few minuets ago, I was watching the dash and then the check engine light came one and the car died and now it turns over but won't fire. I don't hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key, because when the CEL is on the pump wont pump.

I even plugged in my cigarette plugin for the fuel pump hot wire, so the pump would work, but it still doesn't fire.

I know it's a lot of reading let me make a list of what I replaced.

New Distributor, brand new not remanufactured
New Cap and rotor(came brand new with distributor)
New Spark plugs and wires
New Fuel Filter

I swapped Main Relays(no change still won't start)

I disconnected the negative cable on the battery still didn't help.

At this point I think the ECU/Computer when bad, but can anyone please help! I need to drive this car to work( I deliver pizzas for a living)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help quick plz, no start

Have you checked the CEL code?

If you don't know how, look at this.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-pull-cel-d4-srs-abs-codes-code-lists-1901557/
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hannslebo
Have you checked the CEL code?

If you don't know how, look at this.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901557
Thank you for the information, I'll go ahead and see what codes it pulls up. I'm also suspecting it could be a bad MAP sensor?

I did jump the service connector when I checked to see if the car was in perfect ignition timing, after that I unplugged the jumper wire when the car was running. I then drove the car around and went to the Store to pick up some medication, on the drive back home is when I saw the check engine light come on and the car died.

Once again thank you for that information I'll see what code it read and report back.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I guess it could be MAP. Would be code 5 I think.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I'm guessing, I replaced the whole ignition system and the spit and sputter went away after the car warmed up, then once I put that Marvel Mystery oil to clean the injectors out, it started to spit and sputter and it also backfires.

I replaced the Fuel filter after putting the Mystery oil in the tank. I'm getting my flashlight charged up and will be getting the jumper wire installed.

If the MAP sensor is bad, if I were to unplug the connector it will fix the problem and the car would start? If so I would have to get one from a junkyard to buy a new one correct?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Trial User

Try taking out the distributor cap and locate the camshaft position sensor (CYP) it should not be too hard to spot. Remove the cover piece off and use an ohmmeter to check the resistance of the CYP it should be within 350 - 700 ohms if not replace the CYP. The CYP senses the position of cylinder #1 and sends an input signal to your PCM to determine proper fuel injection to each of the cylinders. I hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DoubleW
Try taking out the distributor cap and locate the camshaft position sensor (CYP) it should not be too hard to spot. Remove the cover piece off and use an ohmmeter to check the resistance of the CYP it should be within 350 - 700 ohms if not replace the CYP. The CYP senses the position of cylinder #1 and sends an input signal to your PCM to determine proper fuel injection to each of the cylinders. I hope this helps!
I'll go ahead and do that test but first I want to point out that when I proceeded to do the Check Engine Light code test..I put the jumper wire in and the Check Engine Light remained solid and did not blink.

When the CEL is on, it's not letting power get to the fuel pump(I don't hear it priming the fuel pump)

I'll go ahead and test the CYP, thank you. I'm not sure why I couldn't pull any codes from the CEL because it remained solid.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Problem solved, fuse #24 blown under the dash. Car starts right up.

It spits and sputters on acceleration for a short period and will smooth out...wish I knew what that was.

The timing is set dead on. Runs great at 60, 70, or 80 mph, but will spit and sputter and sometimes backfire during acceleration.

I replaced the fuel filter(brand new) and fuel pump so that's not the problem. I also switched the main relay with a different one.

New Ignition system, anything I should check?