Notices

D15b bogging and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15b bogging and stalling

I have a 88 civic sedan. I recently did an mpfi swap.I got the car running and driving But Then I ran into an issue after driving the car up and down my driveway for 2 minutes max. The car would start to stall but not die. If i put my foot in it ,it would backfire from the tb. And bog until my foot was taken off the gas. After searching through everything I found out that the cylinders are getting flooded with gas or it has weak spark and cant burn all the gas. I have a switch for the fuel pump giving it the 12 volts. I confirmed this by turning off the fuel pump when the car would start to bog and stall. I would then let it burn all the pressurized fuel and shut off . id then turn on the fuel pump amd restart the car and it would be normal again until it would bog and stall and id just repeat the process and it would work till it didnt. I just put in a new fuel filter, new fuel pump , cleaned fuel rail and it has new spark plugs, working spark plug wires ( tested on my friends civic ,ran with no issues )new cap amd rotor. The distributor is new but i do doubt it for the fact that I got it on eBay and it came with a bad ignition coil. But I switched it with a spare coil I had .I thought maybe injectors were getting stuck open but I switched them with some spares and it would still bog and stall. I have spark in all wires and plugs . my question is , is the distributor not giving off enough of a voltage that it doesnt burn all the fuel or is the car pumping out more fuel than it should ? Any help is appreciated
Old 06-27-2019, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: D15b bogging and stalling

Where did you source the injectors?
Why is there a switch for the fuel pump? Is it inline to the original wiring or has that been hacked up?

You need a multimeter. Most of your questions can be answered with ohm/volt tests.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Efluis
I have a 88 civic sedan. I recently did an mpfi swap.I got the car running and driving But Then I ran into an issue after driving the car up and down my driveway for 2 minutes max. The car would start to stall but not die. If i put my foot in it ,it would backfire from the tb. And bog until my foot was taken off the gas. After searching through everything I found out that the cylinders are getting flooded with gas or it has weak spark and cant burn all the gas. I have a switch for the fuel pump giving it the 12 volts. I confirmed this by turning off the fuel pump when the car would start to bog and stall. I would then let it burn all the pressurized fuel and shut off . id then turn on the fuel pump amd restart the car and it would be normal again until it would bog and stall and id just repeat the process and it would work till it didnt. I just put in a new fuel filter, new fuel pump , cleaned fuel rail and it has new spark plugs, working spark plug wires ( tested on my friends civic ,ran with no issues )new cap amd rotor. The distributor is new but i do doubt it for the fact that I got it on eBay and it came with a bad ignition coil. But I switched it with a spare coil I had .I thought maybe injectors were getting stuck open but I switched them with some spares and it would still bog and stall. I have spark in all wires and plugs . my question is , is the distributor not giving off enough of a voltage that it doesnt burn all the fuel or is the car pumping out more fuel than it should ? Any help is appreciated
Originally Posted by scelestus
Where did you source the injectors?
Why is there a switch for the fuel pump? Is it inline to the original wiring or has that been hacked up?

You need a multimeter. Most of your questions can be answered with ohm/volt tests.
I did get them out of the junk yard for free.99,I am a lil short on funds. Annnd im gonna play it safe and say butchered. I couldn't get the car to turn on the fuel pump with the key , I tried switching out the main relay , finding a good ground and making sure no wires were cut. Before my little butcher , I tested the volt at the pump and it was only getting like 4 volts or 5 volts if I remember correctly. It didmt work so I then cut amd extended the postive and ground from the pump and I sent them to the battery. Put power to the fuel pump and cranked the car , started first try
Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I did get them out of the junk yard for free.99,I am a lil short on funds.
I should have been more specific. Exactly what did they come out of?
Annnd im gonna play it safe and say butchered. I couldn't get the car to turn on the fuel pump with the key , I tried switching out the main relay , finding a good ground and making sure no wires were cut. Before my little butcher , I tested the volt at the pump and it was only getting like 4 volts or 5 volts if I remember correctly. It didmt work so I then cut amd extended the postive and ground from the pump and I sent them to the battery. Put power to the fuel pump and cranked the car , started first try
So if the wiring to the pump was screwed up, are you positive the wiring to the injectors is ok? You have a mutlimeter? Ohm the plug wires instead of trying them in another car. Test the coil to make sure it's within spec. Check continuity on injector wiring.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scelestus
I should have been more specific. Exactly what did they come out of?

So if the wiring to the pump was screwed up, are you positive the wiring to the injectors is ok? You have a mutlimeter? Ohm the plug wires instead of trying them in another car. Test the coil to make sure it's within spec. Check continuity on injector wiring.
They came out of a 90 ex, I'm pretty sure it was a d16. It had a mpfi on it and theres ismt many in the junkyards so I started yanking parts.amd im pretty sure they're correct .i may have made a small error , this is my first mpfi swap. But I checked them before and everything seems to be correct. When checking the plug wires , what setting do i wanna be on and what reading is a pass and what is a fail ? Also how do I check the coil and for continuity on the injectors wires? Sorry i am new to the honda scene