Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help with my new EG coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my new EG coupe!

There's a couple of questions that I need answers to. First, Vtec isn't kicking in at all. This is my first vtec civic, so I don't know too much about it or what it could be. Any suggestions would be helpful. Second, there is no O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold, the previous owner has a huge bolt threaded into the hole. And yes, this car was seriously neglected. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with vtec not working or not. If it could be the vtec solenoid not being hooked up or something, pictures would be greatly appreciated being that I'm not too sure what i'm looking for. Thirdly, I got a full size radiator and a huge slim fan with the deal, the AC components are already removed, so there's a lot of room. Will installing the full rad help me out at all? I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions soon and i'll post pictures when I can. Maybe this will become a decent build thread...

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help with my new EG coupe!

Do you have a cel (check engine light)? Im guessing for the o2?
Vtec wont engage with cel. Find what it is and go from there
Theres a sticky with how to check engine light diy

And the rad/fan has nothing to do and wont help vtec but its good to stay cool plus it looks cool
Old 10-20-2009, 10:03 PM

There is no CEL, The riceboy that I bought it from has some "Gangsta" aftermarket guages in the car, so Maybe the bulb is out of it, I have to check. Other than the vtec not hitting the car runs excellent. I'm guessing the O2 sensor has something to do with it. Is there a plug somewhere for the O2 sensor to go into, or does it get hardwired somewhere?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:35 AM

Anyone? Suggestions?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 AM

Ok, so I'm just blowing up my own thread here, but I keep thinking of questions. As FastRXU had said, the car won't kick vtec with a CEL on. A missing O2 sensor would most likely throw a CEL. There is no o2 sensor at all, the plug is disconnected and there is a bolt plugging the hole. My question is, if i disconnect the battery for a little while and throw a new o2 sensor in and reconnect the battery will that reset the ECU and make the CEL go away and solve my problem?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFlove91
There is no CEL, The riceboy that I bought it from has some "Gangsta" aftermarket guages in the car, so Maybe the bulb is out of it, I have to check. Other than the vtec not hitting the car runs excellent. I'm guessing the O2 sensor has something to do with it. Is there a plug somewhere for the O2 sensor to go into, or does it get hardwired somewhere?
what ecu are you running it is possible it has a basemap that doesn't need an o2 sensor. For example phearable basemaps don't use o2 sensors. Do you get a cel when vtec should engage. Is the cel light coming on for 3-4 secs when you turn the key to the II position.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 AM

I'll have to check and see. I'm picking the car up tonight, I drove it and checked it out last night. I believe the ECU would be stock. Just judging from the types of mods done to the car. Exhaust, painted valve cover, aftermarket heads and tails, interior mods. Stupid stuff like that makes me think that the previous owner wasn't too smart about hooking up his car.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 AM
New User

if you dont have an o2 censor your car would be running rich and that would probably efect the vtec from kicking but i still doubt it, it could be some thing in your wireing thats not letting your vtec kick.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 AM

If anyone in PA reads this, come help me on Sunday!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
what ecu are you running it is possible it has a basemap that doesn't need an o2 sensor. For example phearable basemaps don't use o2 sensors. Do you get a cel when vtec should engage. Is the cel light coming on for 3-4 secs when you turn the key to the II position.
this could be true but i doubt for this situation.

It sounds like he was just sold a pile of crap, another reason i wont buy a car someone else screwed with first.

First thing to do is take the gauge cluster out and check the bulbs and replace any thats needed (if you can afford it, i would replace the gauge cluster with an un-molested cluster). Make sure ur check engine light works. proper function without CEL codes the light will turn on for ~2 sec when you turn ur key to the on position. If the CEL is now coming on, and not turning off you infact have a CEL code.

second thing to do is get a working O2 sensor and install it.

Assuming there are no other sensors disconnected/missing/not working, this will take care of the problem with vtec not engauging.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:43 AM

That's the answer I was looking for. I have another guage cluster the kid gave me with the car, it's still an aftermarket one, but it's untouched. Should I disconnect the battery to do the o2 sensor to reset it?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its always advised to disconnect the ground on the battery when doing any work regarding electrical work on the car.
Disconnect the ground to the battery, then change your cluster and O2...

If you establish that the engine check light works after changing the cluster, and adding the O2 sensor does not get rid of the CEL, you can check what the code is using this link and fix the appropriate sensor.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-ecu-codes-everyone-682412/
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Thanks a lot for all the help. I'm gonna throw some pictures of the piece of crap on here tomorrow. I don't have huge plans for the car engine wise, I just want to redo my suspension set-up and make it handle like it's on rails. Other than that, I need to fix up the interior and clean up the engine bay. Put the front end on correctly, everything is rigged and falling off. And lastly, Paint. Satin white, Black moldings, Red sportmaxx wheels with chrome lip. Stay tuned!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where in pa, and have you checked if the cel works. or is this car not in your possession right now
Old 10-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking you have a electrical problem. Check your wire harness to see if any are disconnected like the O2...repair if necessary, as for your vtec not kickin in, did you check you oil level? low oil will do that
Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm in pa and i'd be willing to help you out. let me know where you are
Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2407755
Old 10-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Sorry about the vague title! I'm in Southeast PA, near Limerick and Skippack. I was supposed to get the car tonight but the dumba$$ lost the title. I'm waiting on that now. I'm getting it for a steal, so I can't complain
Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe he took out the cel light bulb so buyers wont run away from the sale.

Make sure the bulb is working, put in o2 sensor, then remove battery cables AND the memory/backup fuse to erase the cel in the ecu

You could always wire in vtec with a rocker switch and control it via the switch from inside but try the other stufd first
Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 AM

I don't wanna have vtec on a switch. That's kinda ghetto. Once this kid gets the title and I pick up the car I'll do the o2 sensor quick. I have a feeling that's the problem
Old 10-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off the o2 sensor wont make it so Vtec wont engage, ive had plenty of times when i would have a CEL for an O2 sensor and vtec would still engage perfectly fine.. No O2 sensor = car running rich as hell which is not good for the internals and hurts your MPG's too

Second off what kind of motor is in there? if its a d16z6 or any type of d-series then dont expect to notice vtec.. theres no noise change over and certainly no power pick up when it engages

And third off how much are you paying for this car? did you ask him about the o2 sensor and other mods done to the car I.E. who installed the stuff and sounds like the CEL bulb is either pulled or burnt out BC no O2 sensor would set a CEL off immediately
Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 AM

it's a d16z6 motor in a 95 coupe. I'm picking the car up for $500. New brakes and tires. Trunk full of parts included. The car is at a good price. I've never had a vtec d series before, you're telling me there's no power difference between a d16 non vtec and a d16 vtec?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im telling you theres no difference in how the motor feels from before vtec to while vtec is engaged.. I think that you think its going to be noticable audibly and on the butt dyno like a bseries but with d series there really isnt a difference in power or noise when vtec engages..

im pretty sure that vtec is engaging its just you have a different idea of what it should engage like
Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 AM

You may be right, like i said, i've only driven b-series vtec cars, and they hit hard. my question is, how much of a power difference is it between a d16 with vtec compared to one without