Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help With My 92-95 Civic Hatchback Build.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With My 92-95 Civic Hatchback Build.

CLOSED

Modified by Demon86RJC at 12:03 AM 7/21/2008
Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start by reading this:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/878010

The majority of B-series engines fit by using the B-series driver's side engine mount & an Integra rear mount bracket. For the rest of the mounts, you just use the stock '92-'95 Civic D-series mounts and brackets. The year the engine was made, makes a difference in the ECU wiring and sensors the ECU will look for. There are a few ways of getting by this. 1 is to just buy an OBD1('92-'95) engine swap. In the case of the B-series engines, the Integras from '92-'93 had cable transmissions, where the '94-'01 Integras & the '92+ Civics had hydraulic transmissions. So obviously, you'd want to get a '94+ engine & transmission, to match your car. Another choice is to buy an OBD1 ECU, because it will plug straight into your ECU connectors on the car's harness. The next choice is to buy an OBD1 to OBD2 (A or B) conversion harness, to use the OBD2 ECU that comes with a '96+ engine swap. Other than that, there are going to be wires that will need to be added, regardless of the OBD or year of the engine. Depending on the trim of hatchback you get (CX, DX, VX, Si), you may or may not have to run wires for the vtec solenoid & pressure switch. You will also have to run wires for the Intake Air Bypass (aka IAB or Secondary Butterfly), and the EGR.

Just make sure to do a ton of research before buying any parts (or engines) for your car. Enjoy the great gas mileage while you are deciding what to do. Check out the FAQ thread at the top of the 1992-2000 Civic/Del Sol forum for a LOT more info on various things.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey what kinda body kit were you planning on getting? like a whole 4 piece with both bumpers and side skirts?

might wanna try to keep your car low profile and as to not call attention to your car from possible thieves.

and mayke sure you get an alarm and do other security upgrades =]
Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help With My 92-95 Civic Hatchback Build. (Demon86RJC)

Listen I live in Jersey First of all if want respect from other people on having a nice Car Keep it simple and your first investment into the car should be a alarm system with some type of gps tracking. not lowjack! rim boots are cool but Since we live in Jersey thieves here are a little daring.

Second is No body kits! them ***** are whack the only lip kit I've ever seen on a 92-95 civic that i thought looked nice is Wings West front and sideskirts the rear is ugly but they do make CTR replicas for the 92-95 Also the Mugen Lip looks like the Wings West but actually overlaps into the Bumper AS the Wings West is taped to the bottom.

They make full carbon fiber ones for the hatch but the lipkit is gonna cost you about 1300. Plus you know the streets in Jersey are F'up

Also try to buy a Civic that has AC but no power steering there harder and harder to find but there out there. why because a hatch is light so power steering is nice but equals more maintenance but if it has it then so be it ! After you do this buy a descent suspension you can buy full coilover kits anywhere from 500-1500 depends on you.

Do not buy slip on coilovers with shocks because they end up getting trashed in Jersey because of the snow.

Look for nice wheels don't break the bank but remember wheels is what makes your car stand out you don't want the same wheels everyone else has.

Most interiors remain stock because they are ok and seats can be sourced from integras I recommend cloth not leather because when sit on it you dont burn your a$$.

When it comes to paint look for rust over the rear bumper or all around the rear wheel well this is honda cancer and its gonna cost you money to fix with paint.

The engine well to be honest all depends on you what kind of power your looking for and if you wanna boost or N/A

Since you a jersey local and your new here you can view the for sale so you can check http://www.urbanracer.com and check classifieds.
Also a good shop is my friends in Garfield N.J. MB-RACING
http://www.B20vtech.com alot of local NJ in there as well

I'm gonna Give you the speech I tell everyone who ever gets into cars.

Don't cut corners because it will cost you in the long run 2x as much.
Protect your investment at all times it wasn't free for you don't make it free for another A-hole.
Don't go showing your car to anyone you don't know.
When in doubt check Honda-tech! you be surprised what you will learn by reading Im always learning new things on here.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
Start by reading this:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/878010

The majority of B-series engines fit by using the B-series driver's side engine mount & an Integra rear mount bracket. For the rest of the mounts, you just use the stock '92-'95 Civic D-series mounts and brackets. The year the engine was made, makes a difference in the ECU wiring and sensors the ECU will look for. There are a few ways of getting by this. 1 is to just buy an OBD1('92-'95) engine swap. In the case of the B-series engines, the Integras from '92-'93 had cable transmissions, where the '94-'01 Integras & the '92+ Civics had hydraulic transmissions. So obviously, you'd want to get a '94+ engine & transmission, to match your car. Another choice is to buy an OBD1 ECU, because it will plug straight into your ECU connectors on the car's harness. The next choice is to buy an OBD1 to OBD2 (A or B) conversion harness, to use the OBD2 ECU that comes with a '96+ engine swap. Other than that, there are going to be wires that will need to be added, regardless of the OBD or year of the engine. Depending on the trim of hatchback you get (CX, DX, VX, Si), you may or may not have to run wires for the vtec solenoid & pressure switch. You will also have to run wires for the Intake Air Bypass (aka IAB or Secondary Butterfly), and the EGR.

Just make sure to do a ton of research before buying any parts (or engines) for your car. Enjoy the great gas mileage while you are deciding what to do. Check out the FAQ thread at the top of the 1992-2000 Civic/Del Sol forum for a LOT more info on various things.
Yeah, I did read that a bit. Thats how I came up with the B18C as my pick. I'm just not sure how everything will fit & what modifications I will need to do. Ok, so on a 96-00 year engine it would have a hydraulic trans so I would need to get a 94 or 95 civic so it would have a hydraulic trans. A 92 or 93 wouldn't have a hydraulic transmission. Question if I buy a complete kit it comes with motor, trans, & ecu would I still need to get a different ecu & with the transmission that would come with the complete kit would it work for a 92 or 93?

What else would I have to change in that upgrade? Where can I find OBD1('92-'95) engine swap? So it would be better if I go with a Si so the vtec will be per wired? I'm confused a bit what wire would I need to run and to where for the Intake Air Bypass & EGR. What is a EGR? I'm new to this.

Originally Posted by ThA IntegrA HI
hey what kinda body kit were you planning on getting? like a whole 4 piece with both bumpers and side skirts?

might wanna try to keep your car low profile and as to not call attention to your car from possible thieves.

and mayke sure you get an alarm and do other security upgrades =]
Not sure haven't been able to find a good site that shows real pics of there body kits. All the sites I find show the same pic over and over or no pic. Yeah I don't live in the best of sections. So I want think a good alarm and a removable steering wheel & a tire stop thing.

Originally Posted by slvrcvc93
Listen I live in Jersey First of all if want respect from other people on having a nice Car Keep it simple and your first investment into the car should be a alarm system with some type of gps tracking. not lowjack! rim boots are cool but Since we live in Jersey thieves here are a little daring.

Second is No body kits! them ***** are whack the only lit ive ever seen on a 92-95 civic that i thought looked nice is Wings West front and sideskirts the rear is ugly but they do make CTR replicas for the 92-95 Also the Mugen Lip looks like the Wings West but actully overlaps into the Bumper AS the Wings West is taped to the bottom.

They make full carbon fiber ones for the hatch but the lipkit is gonna cost you about 1300. Plus you know the streets in Jersey are F'up

Also try to buy a Civic that has AC but no power steering there harder and harder to find but there out there. after you do this buy a descent suspension you can buy full coilover kits anywhere from 500-1500 depends on you do not but slip on with shocks because they end up getting trashed in Jersey because of the snow.

Look for nice wheels don't break the bank but remember wheels is what makes your car stand out you don't want the same wheels everyone else has.

Most interiors remain stock because they are ok and seats can be sourced from integras I recommend cloth not leather because when sit on it you dont burn your a$$.

When it comes to paint look for rust over the rear bumper or all around the rear wheel well this is honda cancer and its gonna cost you money to fix with paint.

The engine well to be honest all depends on you what kind of power your looking for and if you wanna boost or N/A

Since you a jersey local and your new here you can view the for sale so you can check http://www.urbanracer.com and check classifieds.
Also a good shop is my friends in Garfield N.J. MB-RACING
http://www.B20vtech.com alot of local NJ in there as well

I'm gonna Give you the speech I tell everyone who ever gets into cars.

Dont cut corners because it will cost you in the long run 2x as much.
Protect your investment at all times it wasnt free for you dont make it free for another A-hole.
Dont go showing your car to anyone you dont know.
When in doubt check Honda-tech! you be surprised what you will learn by reading Im always learning new things on here.
Yeah, security is a top concern for me leaving right next to Passaic and few minutes from Paterson. Yeah they don' have many good looking body kits. This is true NJ has some of the worst street I have seen, that's why I was going to go with a polyurethane kit. I live in Garfield so when I do get the car ill have to stop by there and check things out. i needed to find some where i can get the work doen as i dont have the tools or the required knowledge to do all i want done.. I haven't bought the car yet want to look in to what I want before making my decision. Ill probably wait till September or till I can find a car to buy.

Why AC but no power steering? Suspension is going to be the 2nd upgrade.

Interior I didn't really want to do much. Keep it clean looking, maybe race seats. Sound system and tint a must, but that is about it. Boost meaning NOS? Not looking for a NOS System just normal engine upgrades for power.

Thats one thing im looking for no real body damage or rust, bumpers and other parts are ok they can be replaced. If I do go with a body kit it would replace most areas of possible damage. Im not in any rush to start thee build. Right now I share a 91 Honda Civic DX with my mom. I did some upgrades sound system, performance exhaust. I was thinking about buying it from her and hooking it up. But I think I would be better off getting a 92-95 hatch and work on it there. They don't have much stuff for that year it seems.

Modified by Demon86RJC at 1:46 PM 7/8/2008
Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Demon86RJC)

Well if you live in Garfield you should definitely check out http://www.MBRACINGNJ.com The owner name is Roland and his brother Kevin is the head mechanic in the shop its right near River Road. Tell them that Nelson from Jersey City recommended you and tell him what you wanna do and he will sit there and talk with you and let you know what prices are and what they can do for you. When I said boosted I meant turbo or supercharger
Old 07-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrcvc93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrcvc93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if you live in Garfield you should definitely check out http://www.MBRACINGNJ.com The owner name is Roland and his brother Kevin is the head mechanic in the shop its right near River Road. Tell them that Nelson from Jersey City recommended you and tell him what you wanna do and he will sit there and talk with you and let you know what prices are and what they can do for you. When I said boosted I meant turbo or supercharger</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i want a turbo or supercharger. yeah im going to look in to them. Im leaving to go on vacation ill talk to you when i get back.

cya
Old 07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Throw an h22 in there.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Demon86RJC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yeah, I did read that a bit. Thats how I came up with the B18C as my pick. I'm just not sure how everything will fit & what modifications I will need to do. Ok, so on a 96-00 year engine it would have a hydraulic trans so I would need to get a 94 or 95 civic so it would have a hydraulic trans. A 92 or 93 wouldn't have a hydraulic transmission. Question if I buy a complete kit it comes with motor, trans, & ecu would I still need to get a different ecu & with the transmission that would come with the complete kit would it work for a 92 or 93?

What else would I have to change in that upgrade? Where can I find OBD1('92-'95) engine swap? So it would be better if I go with a Si so the vtec will be per wired? I'm confused a bit what wire would I need to run and to where for the Intake Air Bypass & EGR. What is a EGR? I'm new to this.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's just the Integras that have the cable transmissions during '92-'93. For Civic's '92 & '93 have hydraulic transmission as well. I don't know why Honda did that to the Integras but they did. If you get a "complete swap" that is '96-'00, you'll need a different ECU. You can either find an OBD1 P72 (the B18C1 Integra GS-R ECU), or get a P28 ('92-'95 Civic EX & Si ECU) or another USDM OBD1 ECU; have it chipped to run the B18C base map. The transmission that comes with the swap will be fine to use.

Along with the mount and the mount bracket that you'll need, you're going to need the B-series shiftlinkage as well; this should either come with the swap or will be a little extra. You can find an OBD1 complete swap at http://www.hmotorsonline.com That company has a very good reputation, especially here on honda-tech. Running the wires to hook up vtec , IAB, and the EGR aren't as hard as it sounds. Most "complete swaps" come with an engine harness, or a partial one to take wires &/or connectors off of to use. Then you hook up wires to the connectors (if they're not there already), plug in the connectors, run the wires through the firewall hear the battery where the engine harness already goes through (taping them to a coat hanger and threading it through works well), and then pin in the wires to the ECU. For the vtec stuff; there's 1 wire for the vtec solenoid, 1 for the vtec pressure switch, and a ground wire for the vtec pressure switch. So that's only 2 wires for vtec going to the ecu, and a ground wire to the chassis.

The IAB (Intake Air Bypass) is part of the intake manifold. At low rpms, flaps keep part of the chamber in the intake manifold closed for better torque. At a certain rpm, the IAB opens the flaps, and the chambers, for better higher rpm performance. If you search around there are pictures posted of what it is and where the wires come from. The EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation. A google search will give you more info on this. There are also plenty of ECU pinouts around to show you where each wire goes into the ECU.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dam here I am talking about security and someone tried to steal my coupe yesterday!

You wanna know whats the best part for me I caught them. You know whats the worst part for you the cop told me they were from Garfield N.J.! no bullshit!!! im about to post a thread on this in a little while.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrcvc93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSpoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's just the Integras that have the cable transmissions during '92-'93. For Civic's '92 & '93 have hydraulic transmission as well. I don't know why Honda did that to the Integras but they did. If you get a "complete swap" that is '96-'00, you'll need a different ECU. You can either find an OBD1 P72 (the B18C1 Integra GS-R ECU), or get a P28 ('92-'95 Civic EX & Si ECU) or another USDM OBD1 ECU; have it chipped to run the B18C base map. The transmission that comes with the swap will be fine to use.

Along with the mount and the mount bracket that you'll need, you're going to need the B-series shiftlinkage as well; this should either come with the swap or will be a little extra. You can find an OBD1 complete swap at http://www.hmotorsonline.com That company has a very good reputation, especially here on honda-tech. Running the wires to hook up vtec , IAB, and the EGR aren't as hard as it sounds. Most "complete swaps" come with an engine harness, or a partial one to take wires &/or connectors off of to use. Then you hook up wires to the connectors (if they're not there already), plug in the connectors, run the wires through the firewall hear the battery where the engine harness already goes through (taping them to a coat hanger and threading it through works well), and then pin in the wires to the ECU. For the vtec stuff; there's 1 wire for the vtec solenoid, 1 for the vtec pressure switch, and a ground wire for the vtec pressure switch. So that's only 2 wires for vtec going to the ecu, and a ground wire to the chassis.

The IAB (Intake Air Bypass) is part of the intake manifold. At low rpms, flaps keep part of the chamber in the intake manifold closed for better torque. At a certain rpm, the IAB opens the flaps, and the chambers, for better higher rpm performance. If you search around there are pictures posted of what it is and where the wires come from. The EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation. A google search will give you more info on this. There are also plenty of ECU pinouts around to show you where each wire goes into the ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, thats were i was looking at engines and i would go with a complete setup from there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrcvc93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dam here I am talking about security and someone tried to steal my coupe yesterday!

You wanna know whats the best part for me I caught them. You know whats the worst part for you the cop told me they were from Garfield N.J.! no bullshit!!! im about to post a thread on this in a little while. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, thats sucks at least you caught them. Yeah Garfield isn't that great there a lot of thieves a guy a few houses away from me got his car stolen not that long ago. Thats why security is very important.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 AM

keep in mind this is not being mean at all

it sounds to me like you need to do alot of reading...if you dont know how to work on cars much, tackling a project like this is going in way over your head...if you wanna do what your doing i could easily see some shop charging you half your budget on labor

start small...buy a shell first and put some time into making it look nice...if you got a daily driver than you can afford to have a project...10 grand is a good budget but you keep adding alot to it...and keep in mind a 92-95 civic is at least 13 years old...rubber is rotting and many other parts will need replaced to be considered basically in great shape, and not all honda parts are cheap. if you wanna make a fast car its gonna cost some money, and some elbow grease

believe me when i tell you , you are gonna want to do your own work...sure it may take longer but when you do the work and you put the stuff together you tend to learn more about your car, you'll know how to do it when you break it...trust me you will( especially from what it seems like you wanna do)

as for what you wanna do a b series swap aint anythign special, nice power, nice civic for sure but dont expect anything crazy out of it...also if you really wanna turbo then you better think long and hard going down that road( hondas arent made for turbo, if you dont build it, i guarantee your gonna detonate, and throw a rod just give it time) ive got friends with well over 15g into integras and civics on turbo and no matter how much they build there motors it always blows up( and they know what they are doing believe me)

good luck...like i said you need to do alot of reading if you got cash to drop then have someone else do it but its alot more satisfying and alot cheaper if you do the work yourself but your looking at a huge project it doesnt sound your ready for...theres alot more to it than just picking a motor and bam your cars fast....your gonna need mounts, axles, ecu all the fun stuff