Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help with installing shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with installing shocks

I need to replace my front shocks of my car. I drive a 2000 Honda Civic Si and I want to install them myself because don't want to waste my money on labor. What tools and equipment do I need? Can anyone tell me how to remove and install the front shocks? I don't have spring compressor, but the shocks that are on my car now is blown. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:51 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (FastxCivic)

Well i've done it on my EG a few times and i'm about to do it again to install my koni yellows. Thing you will need:
a set of metric sockets/wrenches
ratchet
spring compressor (rent at autozone for free0
tq wrench
jack and jack stands
I think that's about it. There isn't much to it. You may want a friend around too.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (mantic6t9)

Spring compressor? I don't remember the guy who put my shocks on using a spring compessor. You sure you need that? I watched him do the whole thing and never once remember him using it.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (96 SOHC VTEC)

i needed a spring compressor to take my stock springs off.. but with my sportlines i didn't have too use one.. they aren't all that hard just make sure everything is all lined up before you bolt down the hat.. it gets really annoying when it's not lined up..
Old 01-12-2002, 02:07 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (scofa)

You can do it without one but i do Not recomend it. Lowering springs are shorter and often are not compressed once installed onto the shock body and isn't under load. So like was mentioned you wouldn't need a spring compressor in this case. If you're on stock shocks and springs i would suggest renting one. LATer..
Old 01-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (mantic6t9)

you dont need a spring compressor if you are using different springs, but if you still have stock spring you need one it will make the job alot easier
Old 01-12-2002, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (ek9hatch)

You'll need a spring compressor to take the STOCK springs off the STOCK strut. You can go w/o one, but that top nut will fly once it's off. Don't ask me how I know.

But for installing the new springs, you probably won't need the compressor. They're short enough that you can push down on the spring and get the top part on.
Old 01-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (Prelude_RCR)

if you have an air compressor with air tools, that makes for compressing springs a breeze
Old 01-12-2002, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have stock springs i would suggest getting a spring compressor.. you can rent one for free at pep boys or autozone.. i rented mine at pep boys you put down a deposit of like $50 and they let you keep it for 10 days i think (?) and when you return it they credit your credit card..

its been a while since i did the springs/shocks (koni adjustable sports (yellows) w/ Eibach sportlines... but from what i remember..

you will need:
jack and jack stands
rim key/lug nut remover
socket set/ratchet.. break bar is helpful
i forget if its only the rear or the front also.. but you might need a HEX key to insert on the top of the shock to hold it stationary while you undo the nut on the shock tower cap..

thats about it.. its pretty straight forward once your there.. jack up car, take off wheels, undo upper strut bolts and lower fork/strut bolt from the lower suspension arm then push the arm slightly down and lift out.. then compress the stock spring and take off the top strut cap (insert hex key into strut spindle).. then use combination/open end wrench to undo the top cap nut.. install is reverse.. if your using lowering springs w/ ur new shocks you dont need to compress (or at least i didnt w/ my eibach sportlines)..

hope this helps.. any1 feel free to correct me if im wrong as i lowered my car a few years ago so im going off memory...
Old 01-13-2002, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get out your socket set and box wrenches....i dont remember the exact sizes but thats all you really need. oh and a tq wrench is good too......of course you have to have your jack and jack stands.....ive done it so many times it takes like 5 minutes per strut. real easy!!!
Old 01-13-2002, 12:02 PM
Trial User

A Torque wrench or some kind of long handled socket wrench is very helpul. I just used a length of pipe stuck over the end of a regular socket to get stuck bolts free.
Once you take a good look at how everything is assembled up front it is pretty self explanitory. I'm not sure if the brake lines are connected to the shock assembly on 2000civics, but if it is, two bolts to get the lines off the assembly. Loosen the bolt that holds the lower fork on the shock. It is behind it and kind of hard to see at first. Then take out the bolt holding the lower fork onto the lower control arm. Once it is loosened you will have to stick something in there and bang it out from the other end. Usually a screw driver will do the trick. Then take the two nuts out the top of the shock tower under the hood and the assembly will fall down, ehlps if someone can catch it to keep brake lines safe.Or you can remove the two top nuts first. Pull the shock out of the fork and pull it out.
Hope that helps even though it probably didn't. I'm sure there is a website that has pictures that will make it easier to understand.
Too remove the spring from the shock you should use a spring compressor, back in high school I didn't have 50 bucks to put down on one so I used a heavy towel over the spring, still you have a good chance of loosing stuff that flies off like the shock nut and and bushings and such.
Put the spring compressor on, tighten it down, put the box end wrench on the nut on top of the assembly. Use an allen key in the top, turn the two in the opposite direction till you remove the top nut. take out the top "hat" remove the spring, put on the other shock, put the hat on there makeing sure everything is lined up and seated right, tighten up the top nut, uncopress the spring, bolt everything back in.
Good luck.
Old 01-13-2002, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (mps9506)

I know purehonda.com had an excellent step by step on this. USE THE SPRING COMPRESSOR FOR THE STOCK SPRINGS!!!!!! I've seen allen keys fly across a garage and actually embedding in the wall........wouldn't want to be anywhere near that madness!!!

www.purehonda.com

[Modified by jstock107, 3:37 AM 1/14/2002]
Old 01-13-2002, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks

this should help...

http://www.bseries.net/html/garage/spring.php
Old 01-13-2002, 11:40 PM
Banned

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (datap1mp)

Thanks for all usefule replies. I will take a look at the website and get the manual. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are putting stock springs back on, you WILL need a spring compressor.

FYI, when you are taking stock springs off, you dont need a spring compressor IF you have a impact gun and air compressor. This CAN be dangerous, but we have done it hundreds of times.

Lay the shock down on the ground. Have someone stand on the spring, put a cardboard box or something fairly soft behind the shock, and then put the impact wrench on the top nut, whiz away, and when the nut is off, the shock will shoot out and hit the box.

Takes less then 1 minute BUT BE CAREFUL
Old 01-14-2002, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Need help with installing shocks (tonyxcom)

YOU SHOULD USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR. Allthough it is possible to loosen the bolt while holding spring with your foot and watching the shock shoot out about 10 ft across the ground