Need help identifying this.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying this.

Need help with this
hey ya'll,
here is the deal. I have a 95 civic dx and it won't start. It's not even clicking. ..I'm pushing the clutch in and nothing. Was looking around to see if my ignition switch needed replacing. While looking I found this on the driver side floor next to my clutch. My mechanic thinks it's a piece to my aftermarket alarm. I know my alarm won't allow my car to start if it's been activated. So my questions are 1. what is this switch called so I can find a replacement. ..2. Where under the dash does it likely go to. It has to have fallen from somewhere. 3. Where could I find a replacement. (My plugs, wires, fuel filter and pump are all good...same with the battery)
thanks for the help.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 801 Likes on 741 Posts
Default Re: Need help identifying this.

Your mechanic is likely correct... it looks like a "valet" switch for an aftermarket alarm system. It could have been mounted anywhere, and it is likely that it is NOT the problem if it wasn't a problem before. Check the floor and see if you have any dark blue plastic pieces from the clutch safety switch on the floor... this is a common failure in 5G and 6G Civics, so you are likely due. If you hear NOTHING when you try and start the car... like no starter click or anything... this is likely your issue. If you can push in the clutch switch by hand and crank the car (make sure it is in NEUTRAL and the E-brake is pulled up), then you need to replace the pedal pad.

They get brittle over time and fracture... splintering into pie shaped pieces of plastic and one 3D cone shaped piece... if you see any of these pieces on the floor, then you are looking in the right direction.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've discovered that it's electrical and that the fuse for the starter is good, but that the slot is not receiving power like it should. We chased down the relay that wasnt working so we changed it. Still havin a problem. We've discovered that it is something my alarm I'd doing to immobilize it. My alarm is tied into the ignition switch some how. Idk I've had the car for 7 years and it came with all this aftermarket stuff that we've since learned is rigged in a very precarious way. Any suggestions on what type of alarm system it might be? We discovered a box under the dash that says it's Taiwanese.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:03 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 224 Likes on 199 Posts

have a shop/knowledgeable person remove and install a better alarm. You don't know how many times I had to do this in people's cars.

Here's one I had to re-do a about a few months ago in a EG Civic hatch. It was "installed" professionally at some local car audio shop. Looks like a bird's nest if you asked me.