Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...

I have a 93 Del Sol si with the D16Z6 engine. Recently I've had the check engine light coming on. I did the self diagnostic and got a code 14 (IAC valve). It's an easy job so I decide to go to Autozone and get the part and do it myself, but the damn thing is $190. My question is this: Should I bother going to a junkyard and try digging one out of another Sol (Not likely, I'm in VT), or should I just let it go? Thanks a lot for any help.
Old 03-09-2002, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Need help... (Phenostar)

well, if you do buy a new iac, dont buy one from the zone, heheh. Get the oem one from a yard or from a honda dealer if you can, if you have to spend the extra 50 bucks to get the factory one, just do it. And your other question, should you change it...id say no unless your idle is screwed....iac controls idle, (Idle Air Control) so, if your car seems to idle normally, both with the AC on or off, its prolly ok :/
Old 03-09-2002, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Need help... (JDM_SiR_II_EG)

Well see I've been idling somewhere between 400 and 600 when the car's warm. I don't have a/c so that's not really a problem. I'm just sick of the check engine light coming on every time I drive... Could The IAC cause shitty gas mileage? I feel like I'm filling up a lot more often, but too lazy to calculate the mpg. And if I could I'd spend the $$ on the part directly from Honda, but truth is I'm paying rent and everything else, so that's a big chunk to spend. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:08 AM

hmm, it could affect gas mileage, but very little, because its only gonna change the idle, not gonna affect the car while your one the gas :/ so, i dunno, maybe when you replace your IAC it will come up with a another engine code maybe telling you the eacv is bad, lol j/k that shouldnt happen. but, since you cant really afford it, know that the IAC is pocket size and can be easily swipped froma yard. Either that or test drive a used car and do a swap-a-roo.

Old 03-09-2002, 09:16 AM

Do this for a temporaray solution... I am doing it right now... Go to the auto parts store (Kragen, Autozone...) and buy some gasket paper. Then just block off the wholes in the IAC. You may have some hard times with cold starts, but it should run fine. Mine is running great. I sometimes forget that I have it plugged. Then you should be able to check on other codes. What is different about your car is that when my iac went bad, the check engine light did not come one. Well, here is a solution for you until you find an iac from the junk yard. I have had bad luck finding them at junk yards because they want to sell the entire engine and not let it go. But I guess if you want to be a thief, then swipe the baby.

Peace
Old 03-09-2002, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Need help... (hb_racer)

LOL I'll be having cold starts untill May so I'm not gonna block the ho off... I'm gonna go hit a junk yard sometime next week, and hope for the best... I've got one of three sols within probably 40 miles so I'm not getting my hopes up too much. Here's a twist I didn't feel like adding:
I brought it into a shop to get it diagnosed and have my clutch looked at (another post possibly), and the guy said that he might not be able to get a code from it but did it anyways, and got a 41 (something with the O2 sensor)... So I have NO IDEA what's up. That would explain the gas mileage.