Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help *ASAP*. Cars dead here at work, no power - want to fix before I leave

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help *ASAP*. Cars dead here at work, no power - want to fix before I leave

I need some advice asap please...

I went to the bank during my lunch break to make a couple deposits. I come out and a guy asks me if I could give him a jump. I wasn't in a hurry and I was in a good mood so I said sure. The car was running when I jumped him. I left, drove about a mile to work, pulled into the parking lot, I was going reverse into a spot, shut it off, rolled the rest of the way into the spot, went to turn the key backwards to pull it out, and nothing was working. The car wouldn't beep at me when the door was open, remote wouldn't lock/unlock the car... The battery was literally dead.

I opened the hood and checked and re-checked everything. All my fuses are good. The connections on the battery are good. The battery is 2 weeks old, bought it brand new. Alternator has never gone bad on me and I've driven a lot since I've gotten the new battery and haven't noticed any dimming lights or problems starting the car so unless the alternator literally just died within the past 6 hours, that can't be it. The car fired up perfectly this morning after sitting for over 12 hours. I checked the starter plug on the tranny and that's plugged in (that happened to me before so that was the first thing I checked). I checked every other connection I could see and everything is fine.

After checking everything, I got back in the car to try again and the car beeped when I put the key in with the door open. But the beep wasn't normal. It was a little faint and it cut in and out. So I guess there's still juice but there's a bad connection or something somewhere.

Any input? I'm gonna see if a jump works later when I leave because I can't just leave in the middle of work and get a jump and sit in my car for 10-15 minutes and wait for it to charge back up if it has no juice.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help *ASAP*. Cars dead here at work, want to fix before I leave

hows the battery connections? do they have any corrosion?

check the condition of the battery connectors, are they cracked? remove and reinstall them and see if it helps.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Need help *ASAP*. Cars dead here at work, want to fix before I leave

Clean the battery posts and connectors and then tighten them down. Also clean and tighten the important battery ground connected to the chassis in the engine bay.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help *ASAP*. Cars dead here at work, no power - want to fix before I leave

the alternator dies on some occasions when you give Jomp