Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Distributor help before i put a clamp through my windshield :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Distributor help before i put a clamp through my windshield :(

So i exploded the B16 and my friend gave me a b18b LB. I threw my transmission on it and got a good distributor. To make a long story short, the car wont start. I checked both fuses, checked the relay (my fuel pump is coming on, and i smell gas come from the cylinder when i crank it with no spark plug) and im getting spark because i grounded a plug/wire and it sparked when i cranked also. The setup is:

OBD-1 LS
OBD-2 LS Distributor...i pulled the wires out of the harness and put th obd-1 harness on and matched up the wires (all the same color) so that SHOULD BE okay.
D16z6 Plug wires (they should work ?)
All my grounds are good (valve cover bolt->right by the headlight) / T-stat / Transmission grounds are all fine.

so heres the real question: There are all kinds of timing things that go on with the motor right ? as in TDC can be intake or exhaust @ compression ? also, cam gears, cam, distributor, etc alll turn at a different rate than the crank dont they ? as in X turns on the crank yields Y turns on the cam...

I know the distributoor will only fit in the cam one way. but, how could i have timing wrong ? i put the dizzy on @ TDC on the crank pulley/valve cover, and my cam gears are pointing up (timing on the motor was never touched) and then lined up the marks on the dizzy casing and stuck it on. It didnt start, so i checked all my gas and spark and crap again, and then rotated the distributor once, stuck it on at TDC again, and pulled the cap off, and the rotor was pointing to the bottom left where it should be as far as i know... so im stuck.

what do i need to 'time' or rotate or tinker with or whatever ? could it be 180* off ? and if so, how do i fix it ?

also, im using a b16 manual for this, so the firing order and position of the wires are all the same right ?

thanks in advance for reading my too-long post :D
Old 04-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: Need Distributor help before i put a clamp through my windshield :( (daklown)

Old 04-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need Distributor help before i put a clamp through my windshield :( (daklown)

you can advance and retard your timing by moving the dizzy left and right
have a friend crank the car and you move it back and forth and see if it start

also check firing order
starting with the bottom left wire and going clockwise it should be one three four two
Old 04-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: Need Distributor help before i put a clamp through my windshield :( (turbogixxer)

i put it in th middle as far as left and right goes...what if i dont have a friend ?

and will my crank or anything have anything at all to do with it ? or is it mostly plug and play?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you missed what i am saying by a mile or two

have a friend ( or anyone) crank the car over while you turn the distributor left to right (back and forth) and see if it starts
this will show you if it is a ignition timing problem or not

you check the firing order?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: Need Distributor help before i put a clamp through my windshield :( (turbogixxer)

actually man i think i got what you were saying, im jsut at work so i suck at trying to get this done without the boss seeing . Ill get a friend to sit in there and all, but its not like the dizzy can go on wrong though right ? cause no matter where the cam is positioned, the distributor will only fit in it the RIGHT way ? and so basically timing can be whack enough from just that little amount of adjustment for it to not start when its in the middle ?..if its that easy then im set
Old 04-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daklown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually man i think i got what you were saying, im jsut at work so i suck at trying to get this done without the boss seeing . Ill get a friend to sit in there and all, but its not like the dizzy can go on wrong though right ? cause no matter where the cam is positioned, the distributor will only fit in it the RIGHT way ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes if the dizzy is flush all the way around the head

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daklown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and so basically timing can be whack enough from just that little amount of adjustment for it to not start when its in the middle ?..if its that easy then im set</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes
if it is in the middle it *should* start
Do the moving of the dizzy trick anyway just to know it is not that

firing order?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

i used a chiltons del sol vtec manual for the firing order, so if its the same as a teg LS, then its right