Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need build suggestions for my new silver Civic coupe/D16Y7

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need build suggestions for my new silver Civic coupe/D16Y7

hey whats going HT I just Got this civic about two month ago wanted to see what you think about it. it has a single cam I want to build the car i dont know if I should go on boost or if I should all motor it. give me some feed back bc im thinking of getting a gsr swap but thinking of all motor or boosting it. by the way its going to be a every day car for now
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Need build suggestions for my new Civic

Thread titles MUST be subject specific so that members browsing topics can understand the tech problem without reading the post:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/threads-must-summarize-technical-problem-title-list-car-details-first-post-2809571/

Because you are a new member, I edited the title for you this time.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any pictures, power goals, intentions to race it (even though I know it's your daily)? I would recommend doing suspension/brake/wheel/tire modifications first, then delve into making some more power, but that's just my opinion. GSR swaps are definitely good bets, but let everyone on here know specifics for better advice.

Also, post pictures of the car so we can see it!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I said pictures twice, I'm an idiot...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a d series is real rough to get anywhere with all motor you would need to boost it.. but if you have the 3500 laying around for a gsr you could make that d in the 3 to 400hp range with that cash

but like its been said, cover you other bases first then go from there. make sure you suspension, brakes and tires are up to the task.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guy for the replies. sorry that i havent replied im new to ht. well right now i cant post pick here sorry. well guys here are some descriptions
96 civic silver

stock motor (y7)
suspension Blox competition suspension
duplop tire 195/50/15 with SI rims
skunk2 short shifter with know (Want a mugen one lol)
hid 8K

thats all i have done in the past 2 month. i dont want to get asr plate with beck bar with a sway bar but i dont know which size to get. if any one can help with that i will appreciate it. if i go with the gsr i will get typer cams also a good header where i can keep the a/c. i need some feed back that all. thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you don't want a subframe brace? I wouldn't get a sway bar any bigger than an Si or LS one if you aren't reinforcing.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Turbo! Don't cheap out on the important stuff though...especially for a daily driver. Get a good tune...where you located?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lunareg
a d series is real rough to get anywhere with all motor you would need to boost it.. but if you have the 3500 laying around for a gsr you could make that d in the 3 to 400hp range with that cash

but like its been said, cover you other bases first then go from there. make sure you suspension, brakes and tires are up to the task.
yeppp i spent 4k on a build. ANd that was including wasting money on dumb things that we broke the first time (because the people I was working with weren't great) and converting the car to manual. Now im making 300WHP @ 19PSI and its safe to 22PSI.
If you build a D its a bigger project, but if you complete it and get it running reliability, you will blow the doors off all your friends setups (and not just honda's) as most peoples street cars aren't making anywhere near 300WHP. Just make sure you have good tires, I have Yokohama AS430s and they are wonderful. I hold traction on dry roads w/ 300+WHP. (unless ofc i rev it up and drop the clutch).
Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks again for the feed back keep it coming guy. well i do want to get the asr reinforcement on my car i want to to know what size to go with on a daily driver. i live in puerto rico its pretty hard to get things here unless i order from online. jimster480 my friend that had a ek coupe with a y8 boosted on 22psi it ran hard but he spent alot of money on build ing the motor so im not sure if i want to go that route yet but at least a gsr swap with type r cam skunk2 mani. header and a good tune for now you know. i just ordered si cluster and climate control for my 96 coupe as soon as i get authorization from HT to post pic i will do so. i want to know how many ppl have a stock boosted gsr motor putting out good power give you set up. just want some feed back
Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

theres tons of people making good numbers on stock gsr motors. But to have a reliable boosted stock motor is not by any means a cheap endeavor especially when its your DD.

i say go all motor, do a ls swap. You can prob find a complete one for a g.

Plus after you swap the ls you can either go boost which they are decent for on a stock block since they have lower compression or you can swap on a vtec head or do both.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i think imma go all motor for know. i found place here in puerto rico that has swap for a good price. they get full jdm swaps. so i dont have to order from cali. well from now im a budget. i got the full coilovers imma do the asr reinforcement with the 24mm sway bar. but now that im thinking about it i dont know if i have to change the front because of the size. if anyone out there know about this let me know. besides that im gonna get the 2000 front with si lip with fog light (yellow 3k hids) lot me know imma post some pic as soon as i can im still in trail so i cant post any right now ttyl
Old 09-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by volcomexpress
thanks again for the feed back keep it coming guy. well i do want to get the asr reinforcement on my car i want to to know what size to go with on a daily driver. i live in puerto rico its pretty hard to get things here unless i order from online. jimster480 my friend that had a ek coupe with a y8 boosted on 22psi it ran hard but he spent alot of money on build ing the motor so im not sure if i want to go that route yet but at least a gsr swap with type r cam skunk2 mani. header and a good tune for now you know. i just ordered si cluster and climate control for my 96 coupe as soon as i get authorization from HT to post pic i will do so. i want to know how many ppl have a stock boosted gsr motor putting out good power give you set up. just want some feed back
A fully built D series + turbo setup is about the same price as a GSR swap. And there is FJT in PR so you can get parts from him locally. An LS wont really be fast compared to your SOHC. When people here run SOHC VTEC's vs LS swaps its like half a car length in a race.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
yeppp i spent 4k on a build. ANd that was including wasting money on dumb things that we broke the first time (because the people I was working with weren't great) and converting the car to manual. Now im making 300WHP @ 19PSI and its safe to 22PSI.
If you build a D its a bigger project, but if you complete it and get it running reliability, you will blow the doors off all your friends setups (and not just honda's) as most peoples street cars aren't making anywhere near 300WHP. Just make sure you have good tires, I have Yokohama AS430s and they are wonderful. I hold traction on dry roads w/ 300+WHP. (unless ofc i rev it up and drop the clutch).
I tried finding everything for under 2k for a d series rebuild with turbo.. but couldn't do it lol.. so I must wait til next fall lol. But I would stay d cuz I'm sure it's very satisfying when you open that hood after schooling someone :D
Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't do anything. Yet.

Read online, look at photos, read any magazine or book you can get a hold of.

Base your own ideas and decisions off what you learn.

Then buy things and mod your car.

You'll save a lot of money this way too.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry took so long to get apic up but her it is
Old 09-18-2010, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WeakSauce92
I tried finding everything for under 2k for a d series rebuild with turbo.. but couldn't do it lol.. so I must wait til next fall lol. But I would stay d cuz I'm sure it's very satisfying when you open that hood after schooling someone :D
Oh you cant really do it for 2k. The motor takes about $1300 to build between machine shop costs (assuming you can actually assemble the motor yourself, and you only need the machine shop to physically assemble the bottom end internals & balance it).. I got my rods on ebay, they are SCAT and they cost $215, then Vitara Piston set w/ NPR Rings is $130-150. Then bearings are about $50. And thats all you need for internals. The rest is just the platform, obviously you need a D16 block, head, crank, etc. I bought a short block so I could build my "monster" while driving my car around.
And ya its a epicly awesome feeling when people hate and then you open the hood and they are like WTF. Or you go to the track and turn the car on and it doesn't sound anything like any other Honda there. So basically when I go to the track, I try to stay far away from people in the staging area. And I go get a race before going to get my car. Because whenever I start that **** up people always look uneasy. And start asking questions.
Then when I win they are like wtf do you have in there man, and I'm like a Single cam, and they are like bullsh1t. And I pop the hood, and it looks like a stock *** SOHC with a ebay turbo setup and they are like WTH.....howwww..... And then after that first race, no Honda kids want to race anymore. They are like fk that ****..
:D
Old 09-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need build suggestions for my new silver Civic coupe/D16Y7

bump
Old 09-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what up H-T just wanted to update a lil today i just recieved my si cluster and my si climate control. ill have pix when i get home and install every thing
Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by volcomexpress
what up H-T just wanted to update a lil today i just recieved my si cluster and my si climate control. ill have pix when i get home and install every thing
If you have the '96-'98 climate control in there right now you're going to have a hell of a time replacing it with a '99-'00 climate control.

It's not plug and play. For one, you have to remove your dash to replace a bunch of the stuff that's under there. The '99-'00 climate control won't work with the '96-'98 guts under the dash.

FAQ: ** Mother of all How-to's : 96-98 EK Manual Climate swap to 99-00 EK Electronic **
Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
If you have the '96-'98 climate control in there right now you're going to have a hell of a time replacing it with a '99-'00 climate control.

It's not plug and play. For one, you have to remove your dash to replace a bunch of the stuff that's under there. The '99-'00 climate control won't work with the '96-'98 guts under the dash.

FAQ: ** Mother of all How-to's : 96-98 EK Manual Climate swap to 99-00 EK Electronic **
ya one of my friends was going to do it in his hatch. and we decided against it because that **** is not easy at all. its really not worth it IMO. its not like it gives you any extra special features or anything.

Quick Reply: Need build suggestions for my new silver Civic coupe/D16Y7