Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need a\c help 98 ek cx HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 need a\c help 98 ek cx HELP!!!!

let me start off by saying i bought a 98 civic cx with out a/c from factory..
i went to the honda dealership and printed out the installation guide for the factory a/c kit they used to install back in the day but has been dis-continued ..
i sourced all the parts 2nd hand expect the main stuff like the harness, relays(x2), diode, fuses...all the ac lines condenser, compressor and the box the ac lines bolt up to behind the battery (idk the name of it)....

i got everything the ac guide told me to install followed all the steps connected and plugged everything in... vacuumed the system at the dealership and charged it.....but NOTHING happened....

For some reason nothing turns on... and apparently theres no power to the condenser fan the compressor but theres power goin into the (silver tube with the pressure switch by the windshield washer reservoir) but not coming out and

and i have no idea what to do anyone can help plz im trying to get this running for my wife
Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need a\c help 98 ek cx HELP!!!!

Did you try to jump the pressure switch?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Missed connections? double check them. A/c pressure switch/thermostat missing/damaged? A/c clutch damaged/not receiving power?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used a snap on power probe.. and the checked the fans they work, the pressure switch is working, got the compressor to engage by putting current to it, everything in the engine bay works but isnt getting current or something no sending out signal.. from the factory harness theres power to the (compress,fan,reciever/dryer) harness theres power i tried to jump the condensor fan wit the radiator fan, nothing, i checked the relays(swapped them in and out with new ones)
fuse under the hood and un the dash are new and good,
the ac button on the climent control turns green

*but some one told me it might not be sending signal to the fuse box??
and thats causing the current to to continue to the fans and stuff ??

checked my connections they all look fine...
but the only connections i did were the 3 wire connector to the evaporater box*
the factory harness to the 3 pigtial and 1 ground harness that the condensor fans plugs into as well as the compressor and reciever/dryer pressure switch
Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will it work if you ground the ac compressor clutch relay? also did you check the ac compressor thermal protector?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ek4ant
...theres power goin into the (silver tube with the pressure switch by the windshield washer reservoir) but not coming out and
Unplug the 2P pressure switch, turn the key to ON(II), and then:

1) Ground the Blu/Red wire in the unplugged pressure switch. Does the compressor clutch engage?

2) Ground the Blu/Wht wire in the unplugged pressure switch. Does the condenser fan run?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry update!

ok i checked all the wires from the under hood fusebox relays and fuses are good...
i actually got the compressor and fans to work and blows cold so the A/Cs working now but what i found what was wrong... i tapped into the wire harness (blue/red wire) before it plugs into the 3pigtail harness (fan,compressor,pressure switch) and grounded it right to the frame..and now everything turns on blows ice cold ac BUT

the ac fan and compressor dont turn off by the control panel it just stays on.. but i can control the cold to hot and the fan speed...so i have to assume that the problem might be in the heater control panel
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ek4ant
sorry update!

ok i checked all the wires from the under hood fusebox relays and fuses are good...
i actually got the compressor and fans to work and blows cold so the A/Cs working now but what i found what was wrong... i tapped into the wire harness (blue/red wire) before it plugs into the 3pigtail harness (fan,compressor,pressure switch) and grounded it right to the frame..and now everything turns on blows ice cold ac BUT

the ac fan and compressor dont turn off by the control panel it just stays on.. but i can control the cold to hot and the fan speed...so i have to assume that the problem might be in the heater control panel
You haven't yet fixed the problem. You've just jerry-rigged the wiring in such a way to risk blowing up your compressor.

Continue with troubleshooting the problem.

Return all of those^ wires to stock, and then unplug the 3P A/C thermostat connector at the evaporator behind the glove box. The start the engine and briefly ground the Wht/Blu wire in the connector. Does the condenser fan run and the compressor clutch engage?