Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mystery hose on JDM B18B

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery hose on JDM B18B

I have a jdm b18b that is going into my car. It's a 94 B18B, but it has the intake manifold that looks like an older integra i/m. However, it isn't. A lot of the holes used for the 90-93 intake manifold are blocked off on this one. Anyway I didn't like the i/m so I picked up a skunk 2 intake manifold and i'm in the process of putting it on the motor.

One thing I noticed was there was an extra hose that does not show up on the helms manual. In the helms manual the thermostat has a total of 3 outlet/inlets on it. However, on the thermostat on this motor I have there are 4 outlets. That 4th outlet has a hose that connects to a weird piece underneath the throttle body. This weird piece also has another outlet which then has a hose that goes to the intake manifold. CONFUSED?!? Well the thing is there is no place on the skunk 2 intake manifold for the "weird piece" to bolt onto. Lastly, on the helms manual none of these outlets are shown, they simply have the imprint of the outlet that should be there, but no outlet coming off of it.

Right about now I wish I had pictures, because I know about 99.999 percent of you that read this are not following. I'll try to get pictures tonight, but in the meantime. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

The motor is obd1, the intake manifold is obd1.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mystery hose on JDM B18B (plugg'd)

Here is a picture to try to give you an idea.

BLUE- The "Weird Piece" that is bolted onto the intake manifold, but has no place to bolt onto the skunk 2 manifold.

RED- The Hoses

GOLD- I had to draw in the small tube that is next to the big tube on the intake manifold, because it is not visible in this photo.

GREEN- The thermostat

I didn't show all the other hoses because I didn't want to confuse anyone further. Can anyone tell me what this piece is and why the skunk 2 intake manifold doesn't have a place to bolt it?

Old 01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone have the page of the Helms manual for integra that shows the cooling and all the lines that run through the thermostat to the various places?
Old 01-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think that IM may be from a 90-93 integra. they had that little plunger thing right on top of where the throttle body cable attaches to the throttle body, and looks like it has been removed. I believe it's only on obd0 cars.

anyways, back on topic, what you're referring to with the blue drawing is the FITV (fast idle something vavle). On obd0 intake manifolds it is mounted to the intake manifold itself. On 94+ b18's it's on the throttle body, but then again, some 94+ don't have them at all. So being that the FITV is on your IM, it leads me further to believe that the IM is from a 90-93 integra.

You can use your skunk2 IM, but you won't have a FITV. or you can do what I did, and buy a 94+ integra throttle body, my 96 integra tb has the FITV on it, and my blox IM manifold didnt have a spot for the FITV from my b18a IM, so the 94+ tb worked perfectly.

you will have to reroute some coolant flow locations back into eachother though becasue there will be at least 2 extra ones. just find an extra long coolant line from an autostore and run it from one location to the other.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They don't have JDM B18Bs.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:39 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (duggy)

it a b18b1 with a1 matifold with a weird *** FITV valve. What I would just do is geta actuall b18b1 TB and block off the forth port for the coolant.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They don't have JDM B18Bs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow... ever try reading around before making yourself look like ignorant?

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/s...earch

To the thread starter: apparently the FITV doesn't have a spot on the Skunk2 manifold. Try blocking off the ports, or even better search around to make sure someone's done it before or if it's even possible.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They don't have JDM B18Bs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What??

--------

Hey thanks for the help. I found an image to help though. I know you are most likely thinking this i/m is an obd-0 i/m but let me assure you that it is not. I bought it straight from japan at JDM Import Directs when it had an AT tranny and wasn't messed with in any way. It doesn't have the PGMFI sticker normally on obd0 motors, and several mounting points for various pieces that bolt onto the obd0 intake manifold are present, but untapped. My only guess is that during the transition from 93-94 the big wigs @ honda maybe thought of using the older intake manifolds to save money before going with the newer design? Fast88std's link to hmotorsonline also shows their 94 b18b as having the same i/m as me. I did already have plans on getting the b18b1 throttle body, because this older t/b doesn't have the top mount map sensor.

I think I get what you're saying Inline4, but what are these 2 extra hoses going to be from?

Here I found a good picture though. Except the text on the FITV that says "to block" actually connects to that 4th outlet on the thermostat that I was talking about. I don't know exactly what you mean ABK about blocking off the fourt port for coolant. I'm gona have to do some searching I guess to see if anyone did it.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:21 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (plugg'd)

yeah exactly like I said. b18b1 TB has that passage from the FITV valve to the IM built into the TB. So there is no outlet, no need for the inlet. Just change to b18b1 TB. That's a1 matifold.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah exactly like I said. b18b1 TB has that passage from the FITV valve to the IM built into the TB. So there is no outlet, no need for the inlet. Just change to b18b1 TB. That's a1 matifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn dude i'm hella confused right now. So all of this FITV stuff is incorperated INSIDE of the throttle body?? So there is no need for the outlet or inlets.... So then how does it operate if it can't feel the temp of the coolant running through it (since there are no inlet/outlet going to it)?

I really don't want to bypass the FITV thing, I want it all normal. I was on a site http://www.lyonel.orcon.net.nz/tb_bypass.htm and they were talking about bypassing and how it can be risky. They also say that it being done in warmer climates, but I live in WA and it gets pretty cold. I dont want to have problems in cold weather.

Do you have like a picture or something? I'm probably just confused.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:38 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

ait b18b1 I got sitting in my house, got only two hoses coming out of it. One of them is inlet for the coolant, other one is the outlet. Instead of heaving the extra hose that goes to the IM (for air) to keep the car idling high during the warm up, it has a passage inside the Throttle body (kind of like IAC) that eliminates the need for that hose. You get what I'm saying.

Just get the TB with the right FITV and you will be fine.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your going to a manual tranny you dont need a FITV. Just get a tb without one problem solved. Then just plug off the coolant inlets and outlets you dont need.

FITV info:
I believe the coolant travels through the valve and warms up the wax inside which closes and opens an air valve allowing more air during cold starts. I believe the reasoning behind it is to allow the idle to be a little stronger during warmup which keeps the automatic tranny from bogging the engine down because of torque converter drag.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright. Do all 94+ B18B1 throttle bodies have no FITV? If that is the case, then how do these cars manage to warm up in cold without idling weird?

Also, does the fitv have anything to do with the coolant temp sensor? Like on the gauge cluster, will I still be able to see if i'm hot or cold?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

94-95 had fitv. so did the 96-01 automatics. the ones without fitv are computer controlled though the iacv.

and it isn't connected to the coolant temp sensor. its purely mechanical.. no sensors. it basically just is a tb bypass when the coolant isn't up to temp.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyden &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">94-95 had fitv. so did the 96-01 automatics. the ones without fitv are computer controlled though the iacv.

and it isn't connected to the coolant temp sensor. its purely mechanical.. no sensors. it basically just is a tb bypass when the coolant isn't up to temp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So if I get a 96+ manual throttle body without the FITV I can't use the 94-95 IACV and will need the newer IACV?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:18 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

ait FITV valve is used on all cars except obdII 5speeds. On obdII it's controlled by ECM. Just get a 94-95 TB, and use your IACV on the matifold. It's as simple as it gets.

And no FITV valve isn't just for automatic cars.