Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The mysterious door waves in civics

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The mysterious door waves in civics

You know what I am talking about. 99% of us have it. the little dings and waves in the cheap doors sheetmetal that are even more noticeable on black cars what the hell causes them and what can be done to prevent?

I had my car painted in Sept and I am now seeing it slowly appear. I know 3m makes a transparent film for the front bumper cover that does the same thing as a car bra but virtually invisible and can be applied to any part of the car I might try that unless I get a better solution here. why does this happen on only civics and has ANYONE found away to prevent this?

Old 11-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: The mysterious door waves in civics (Boostage)

Your getting that because the people that painted your car didnt block it very good, which sucks ***. Usually you just need to get the car blocked really good or you need a new skin.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The mysterious door waves in civics (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your getting that because the people that painted your car didnt block it very good, which sucks ***. Usually you just need to get the car blocked really good or you need a new skin. </TD></TR></TABLE>

new skin?
Old 11-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

new skin?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Door skin
Old 11-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The mysterious door waves in civics (cnyej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnyej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Door skin </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea your door is covered by a "skin" type metal, thats usually what gets the dings here and there. If its more money or work to block it then body shops would just replace it.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I dont have this "MYSTERIOUS DOOR WAVE" and I have a BLACK Civic...
Old 11-28-2004, 12:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those waves are caused by the passengers when they dont close the door tight enough, so they use their *** to shut the door tight.l thats how i mine on the passenger door by my g/f.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those waves are caused by the passengers when they dont close the door tight enough, so they use their *** to shut the door tight.l thats how i mine on the passenger door by my g/f.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any pics of this infamous door wave?
Old 11-28-2004, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (j boy)

I had a co-worker who had a black 99 ex coupe that got a 'wave' in the passenger side door for no apparent reason. It was caused by a thin spot in the sheet metal which got warped due to expansion and contraction. Replaced under warranty, never came back. Figured it was just a fluke though could happen twice I suppose. Didn't happen to my car though, and I wouldn't call it a 'ding' I would say that's caused by ignorant people opening the door of their 82 station wagon into the side of your car..

Old 11-28-2004, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spdweb.net)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spdweb.net &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It was caused by a thin spot in the sheet metal which got warped due to expansion and contraction. Replaced under warranty, never came back.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I expected to hear, I KNEW it was a specific issue. only hondas have them from what I have seen.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea your door is covered by a "skin" type metal, thats usually what gets the dings here and there. If its more money or work to block it then body shops would just replace it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and this goes on teh outside of the door? got a pic?
Old 11-28-2004, 07:53 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said the real cause is from multiple door dings from parking lots that hit your door just hard enough to deform the metal and not break the paint. It's also caused by people closing their door with their asses etc. In a rare case it might be caused by a defect in the metal but because the "waves" were minor in your car and not obvious dents, the body shop just painted your car without making sure the doors were properly finished first.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spdweb.net)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spdweb.net &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you like it fine, its ur car, but I think that the white stock skirts and the white grill look really out of place..... its kinda like the white wheels on a red or blue car.. but i dont think that these items you have compliment anything else... ur wheels are gunmetal so the white actually takes away from them..
Old 11-28-2004, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cnyej1)

I think it has something to do with painting it. My car never had waves in the paint (it's Flemenco Black), but then recently when I got it repainted suddenly I have these little waves in some spots. Def. not from doors, as they are too high up. I've had a portion of the car painted before and it was fine. Then I had to get the whole car painted again and it has waves now My theory is that it wasn't "blocked" properly, or also maybe they didn't remove enough of the old paint before they went over it? I dunno, it sucks
Old 11-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and this goes on teh outside of the door? got a pic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont have a pic persay but this should help (googled):

Old 11-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

does anyone know if there is a better primer that can be used that is stronger and doesnt get wavy as easily?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: (Boostage)

i see those waves more commonly on eg's and not on ek's, i always thought it was a bad paint job or bad body work on a civic door that was dented and poorly bondoed...
Old 11-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnyej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you like it fine, its ur car, but I think that the white stock skirts and the white grill look really out of place..... its kinda like the white wheels on a red or blue car.. but i dont think that these items you have compliment anything else... ur wheels are gunmetal so the white actually takes away from them.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the advice... The whites been a battle.. had it white, then to all red.. then people said they liked it white.. brought it back.. BLA..
Maybe if I get this Wings West ( ricer ) front end I got painted I'll do it all up red again and see how she looks.