Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater.

Engine: y7 block with y8 head, have an Ex 5speed ecu. everything's wired up correctly

I just put an ebay ( ) header on and not soon after (a day later) my CEL comes on. I'm now throwing three codes: 20, 41, and 65 which were the ones mentioned in the title.

I've searched around a bit but no one seems to have a definite answer. What could be wrong here? Is my alternator or battery taking a **** on me? Is the ELD affecting my sensor's or are they taking a **** on me too?

Also, my dash lights as well as my headlights are beginnging to dim and my speedometer is also acting really odd. It just jumps around from 0-120mph VERY randomly and sometimes stays at 0 (when I'm rolling).

Any suggestions on how to fix these problems? They're extremely annoying!
Old 09-26-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (vsm98civic)

Old 09-26-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (vsm98civic)

you guys suck
Old 09-26-2004, 06:08 PM

this is honda-"tech"... right?
Old 09-26-2004, 06:53 PM

up once again.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have a power wire grounding out.
most likely it is one of the wires on the service connector located under the
intake manifold. when you look from under the car you will see 2 big plugs
with caps on them mounted on the intake manifold bracket. the one with the
yellow/black wires is the one to check. it most likely has a broken yellow/black
wire rubbing on the intake bracket. move the wire away from the metal, and repair
it.
and then replace the alternator fuse under the dash.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (rathead)

Finally got an answer!

Thank you very much! I'll check everything tomorrow and update this thread
Old 09-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ELD code is a bitch. i hated it.

what the ELD is, is a sensor. the entire fusebox to be somewhat precise and still vague. the ELD measures voltage/current flowing between the battery and alternator, then sends its findings to the ECU... the ECU then decides whether or not to turn the alternator off...

check ALL grounds, and make sure no wires are broken. i spent a good hour sanding down the grounds, even the battery terminals... dont forget the alternator fuse underneath the dash, and the ECU fuse under the hood....

turns out my ecu was bad .... plugged in a new one (changed the chip) and everything was fine.

good luck
Old 09-26-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (jdmsiR20)

jdmsiR20: thanks for the info.. i searched and read that about your experience with the infamous ELD, but i don't think it's my ecu because its never been chipped and i kept the stock ex ecu when i swapped my mini-me. if the ecu and/or alternator fuses are blown, would the car even function?

rathead: just went out, took my intake off and saw these plugs. you're talking about these two, correct? everything looks good and well connected... how would i replace the yellow/black wires?

Modified by vsm98civic at 12:16 AM 9/27/2004
Old 09-26-2004, 08:36 PM

Update: just checked my alternator/o2 sensor fuse (#15 in the underdash fuse box) and it seemed like no fuse was in there. i took the 7.5A out of my cruise control/keyless entry one and put it in the #15 slot, reset my ECU and the CEL came on again...

Modified by vsm98civic at 10:47 AM 9/27/2004
Old 09-27-2004, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes those are the plugs. just look at all of the yellow black wires to make sure there are none broken. as in rubbing on metal. check them all! if you find a worn through wire, put some electrical tape over it, and keep it away from etal. if you put the fuse in, check to see if it blew again. if it blew again, check all of those yellow/black wires real good.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

rathead: just went out, took my intake off and saw these plugs. you're talking about these two, correct? everything looks good and well connected... how would i replace the yellow/black wires?

Modified by vsm98civic at 12:16 AM 9/27/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-27-2004, 07:49 AM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (jdmsiR20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what the ELD is, is a sensor. the entire fusebox to be somewhat precise and still vague. the ELD measures voltage/current flowing between the battery and alternator, then sends its findings to the ECU... the ECU then decides whether or not to turn the alternator off...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought that the electrical load detector was located under or in the fuse box (it is not the fuse box itself) and it measures the amount of current that the car is drawing (not the voltage, which should be constant at any current load unless the alternator is maxed out). Also, it does not turn the alternator off and on, it sends a signal to the ECU indicating the amount of current draw and the ECU adjusts the idle speed to ensure that a proper voltage is maintained in the electrical system when the engine is idling.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

To vsm98civic:

Did you check the voltage at the battery with the engine running? It should be around 14V (I don't remember the specs). If it is not then you have a bad alternator. Also, I would double check that you installed the O2 sensors correctly when you put the new header on.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (mct121)

yes, the o2 sensor is another that can do this. make sure the wire for the power on the o2 is not melted or rubing on metal.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:51 AM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (mct121)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mct121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To vsm98civic:

Did you check the voltage at the battery with the engine running? It should be around 14V (I don't remember the specs). If it is not then you have a bad alternator. Also, I would double check that you installed the O2 sensors correctly when you put the new header on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks.. I haven't yet checked the voltage at the battery.. Planning on bringing it somewhere today to get it tested. Pretty sure I installed the O2 sensors correctly, and I already checked the wires to the sensor. Everything checked out ok with that. I didn't even mess with the secondary, as I have my stock cat on...
Old 09-27-2004, 10:12 AM

well, on my car, it was the alternator fuse that went bad.. check that.. cuz when that went bad my o2 cell and electrical load detector went off.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:38 AM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (stussy.uci)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stussy.uci &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, on my car, it was the alternator fuse that went bad.. check that.. cuz when that went bad my o2 cell and electrical load detector went off.</TD></TR></TABLE>
are you talking about the 7.5A fuse in the under dash fuse box?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:10 PM

ok check the fuse again and it turned out that I was checking the wrong fuse last night (it was dark )

the alternator fuse IS, in fact, blown. so i put a new one in and after driving it for 10 seconds, it busted again... something is blowing the fuse and i'm not really sure what it is... got any ideas?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok check the fuse again and it turned out that I was checking the wrong fuse last night (it was dark )

the alternator fuse IS, in fact, blown. so i put a new one in and after driving it for 10 seconds, it busted again... something is blowing the fuse and i'm not really sure what it is... got any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rathead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have a power wire grounding out.
most likely it is one of the wires on the service connector located under the
intake manifold. when you look from under the car you will see 2 big plugs
with caps on them mounted on the intake manifold bracket. the one with the
yellow/black wires is the one to check. it most likely has a broken yellow/black
wire rubbing on the intake bracket. move the wire away from the metal, and repair
it.
and then replace the alternator fuse under the dash.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-27-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (rathead)

i already checked those wires. they're fine.

i'll check all my grounds when its lighter out
Old 09-27-2004, 10:11 PM

up
Old 09-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mct121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought that the electrical load detector was located under or in the fuse box (it is not the fuse box itself) and it measures the amount of current that the car is drawing (not the voltage, which should be constant at any current load unless the alternator is maxed out). Also, it does not turn the alternator off and on, it sends a signal to the ECU indicating the amount of current draw and the ECU adjusts the idle speed to ensure that a proper voltage is maintained in the electrical system when the engine is idling.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, yours is correct. i have just a general idea of the ELD, but yours is more precise and has the correct terms.

anyway, its gonna be something stupid... i promise ya. all we can say is check, re-check, check again, over and over and over.

good luck though
Old 09-28-2004, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the code 41 check the wiring for the primary o2 and for the 65 get o2 simulator.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (EKhothatch)

don't feel like spending money on an o2 simulator when all i should have to do is check my grounds and find out what is blowing that fuse... (i have to get it working anyway so my speedo works properly)

the wiring to the primary o2 is fine, already pulled it out, sprayed it with carb cleaner, stuck it back in and made sure the wires weren't rubbing on anything...
Old 09-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't feel like spending money on an o2 simulator when all i should have to do is check my grounds and find out what is blowing that fuse... (i have to get it working anyway so my speedo works properly)

the wiring to the primary o2 is fine, already pulled it out, sprayed it with carb cleaner, stuck it back in and made sure the wires weren't rubbing on anything...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your coming to the mini meet this weekend I'll take a look at it and see what I can figure out.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:26 AM

Default Re: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater. (Ricey McRicerton)

yup, i went out with richard the other day to take some pics of the theatre that we're meeting at

Quick Reply: CEL's: Electrical Load Detector, primary & secondary o2 sensor heater.