Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My PS resivoir has rabies or something!! WTF, it's foaming!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 07:09 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My PS resivoir has rabies or something!! WTF, it's foaming!!

So My car started making this wierd noise yesterday night. So this morning I fire it up and pop the hood. I notice some PS fluid on the top of the resivoir, then I look at the level and it looks full (not the max mark but FULL) and a week ago when I checked it, the level was centered between min and max. So I pull the cover off the res. and the fluid is bubbling and foaming all crazy. I put the cap back on the res and stopped the car. Once I stopped it, the res looked like those 3rd grade science fair volcanos. PS fluid was foaming out of the res from under the cap. Any ideas what could be causing this? BTW I'm in Chicago and it has been pretty cold here lately. I don't think that has anything to do with it. Oh yeah and some dumb bitch cut me off the other day and shattered my DS headlight. There is no damage to the frame or anything. But this may be the cause as well. I was just going to pull the PS belt for my roadtrip next week cause that noise tweeks me out. I'm thinking the PS pump may be shot. Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: My PS resivoir has rabies or something!! WTF, it's foaming!! (HondaFanatic708)

BUMP
Old 03-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My PS resivoir has rabies or something!! WTF, it's foaming!! (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I was just going to pull the PS belt for my roadtrip next week cause that noise tweeks me out. I'm thinking the PS pump may be shot. Any ideas? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It is foaming because there is air in the system. Fill it with fluid and it should stop foaming. Look for a PS leak, you probably have one.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: My PS resivoir has rabies or something!! WTF, it's foaming!! (turbogixxer)

I will look for a leak this afternoon. I don't believe I have one unless it just happened. Is there any sort of bleeder valve on the rack or anything to eliminate the air?
Old 03-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Foaming resevoir is air in the system. Fill it up and start the car..Only way to bleed it is to turn the wheel left to right several times. When I say several,I mean it make take 50 times back and forth. The groaning coming from the P.S pump should stop once it gets some fluid in it...

Hopefully its not already shot depending on how long you drove it without fluid...

Look fo leaks and look to make sure the "feed line" to the pump is OK. Even a pinhole can introduce air into the pump...
Old 03-12-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: My PS resivoir has rabies or something!! WTF, it's foaming!! (PyroProblem)

There is plenty of fluid, when the car hasn't been driven for a while the fluid level sits at or above the min mark. I think the PS pump just went on me. I'm sure a failing PS pump is most likely the cause...