Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build

Originally Posted by habanerored06si
Hey Bud love the build. You picked up some good deals. How much did you pick up that B16 for?

Also you mentioned a junk yard with a B18C5? Which yard is that? I live in Toronto also and would help if you could tell me which one.

Kijiji is less scary than craigslist. I LOL'd
It was at cookstownauto but i'm pretty sure it was blown or something because they wouldn't have left it there if it ran. I went there when it arrived and the next day the block was the only thing left, so I'm assuming the block was cracked so nobody wanted it... I was pissed I wanted to pull the cams and header out for my b16 because the header on the b16 nearly done. But yeah, cookstownauto has some good stuff and a sh*t load of hondas just sitting out there, most of them are SOHC and I've seen ZC's there too, I also saw a done up Y7 there it was noice. OH they are also selling 2 b16a2's complete engines with aftermarket headers there. I asked if I could pull them off, they said no. I'll take pictures next time i'm there, IF they are still there.

And I got the full donor car w/ the b16 and gsr tranny for 1,000. It also has a chipped ecu where vtec kicks in at 5,000pm and the rev limiter is set to 8,500 so i'm going to use that for now, and my Dad knows how to re-write chips, although we're probably just going to buy the ostrich 2.0 for when we turbo it and just use the current ecu. Both cars have a P28 by the way.

Let me know if you're going to swing by there they do the 'you pick it, you save it' thing. My dad needed a starter for his neon they quoted him $100 if the got it, $40 if he did, $80 for a PS pump 40$ if he did so everytime he did. They're great for that stuff. I also got a lot of spare bolts just to be safe (fender bolts, valve cover bolts) stuff thats easy to pull of just so I'm not freaking out when I'm peicing this beast back together. Tons of LS/GS integras aswell. In cookstown the Honda game isn't really big, nor is the population so I'll always have spare parts, and Honda civic stuff is always cheap. Next time I am there i'm going to get another O2 sensor just so i'm safe.

They're open Monday-Friday 10-5:30 (i may be wrong about friday so call first) and Saturday from 10-12:30. http://www.cookstownauto.calls.net/a...ntario/contact
Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Good build bro. Couple nice red hatch builds floatin around right now its entertaining to read.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej1ryder
Good build bro. Couple nice red hatch builds floatin around right now its entertaining to read.
Thanks!

After reading thread after thread, and then actually doing it makes me feel like its a dream come true! Corny I know, but this is awesome.

Update: Motor is getting sold around noon today (it's currently 8:05am) so we'll see what happens!

After the motor is sold, we're rolling it back onto the driveway to clean 'er up. I'll take photos so you guys can see what the clean bay looks like.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone wants to buy this let me know! I do not need it. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ368901141
Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so I sold the engine, tranny, and CV shafts. Here are some photos from last night and this morning, let me know what you think!

How she sat last night.

Roller her out for pressure washing

All cleaned up

How she is now.

We're going to move the red one over to the right side of the driveway and drive the white one in to begin tearing down that little monster. I don't care for the interior so I'll just pull all the OEM honda EG stuff and hold onto it for spare, and sell all the integra stuff. Motor should be out by Monday.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're making fast progress, looks good! I've had my eye out of a decent eg hatch for awhile. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bpotter05
You're making fast progress, looks good! I've had my eye out of a decent eg hatch for awhile. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
Thanks and I hear ya, it took me 3 months to find this one and almost another month to actually decide on it. All the other ones had bondo'd rear quarters, or badly rusted rear quarters. Also all the clean ones were repainted and molested like crazy, or they were insanly over priced. Good luck with the search!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha those are exactly what I'm finding on my search! Glad you are doing yours the right way.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your engine bay came so clean! I love clean and tidy engine bays, some of the stuff guys on this site have done is amazing. Are you planning on doing a wire tuck with the turbo going in?

Definitely watching to see this car finished.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaceVtechTurbo
It was at cookstownauto but i'm pretty sure it was blown or something because they wouldn't have left it there if it ran. I went there when it arrived and the next day the block was the only thing left, so I'm assuming the block was cracked so nobody wanted it... I was pissed I wanted to pull the cams and header out for my b16 because the header on the b16 nearly done. But yeah, cookstownauto has some good stuff and a sh*t load of hondas just sitting out there, most of them are SOHC and I've seen ZC's there too, I also saw a done up Y7 there it was noice. OH they are also selling 2 b16a2's complete engines with aftermarket headers there. I asked if I could pull them off, they said no. I'll take pictures next time i'm there, IF they are still there.

And I got the full donor car w/ the b16 and gsr tranny for 1,000. It also has a chipped ecu where vtec kicks in at 5,000pm and the rev limiter is set to 8,500 so i'm going to use that for now, and my Dad knows how to re-write chips, although we're probably just going to buy the ostrich 2.0 for when we turbo it and just use the current ecu. Both cars have a P28 by the way.

Let me know if you're going to swing by there they do the 'you pick it, you save it' thing. My dad needed a starter for his neon they quoted him $100 if the got it, $40 if he did, $80 for a PS pump 40$ if he did so everytime he did. They're great for that stuff. I also got a lot of spare bolts just to be safe (fender bolts, valve cover bolts) stuff thats easy to pull of just so I'm not freaking out when I'm peicing this beast back together. Tons of LS/GS integras aswell. In cookstown the Honda game isn't really big, nor is the population so I'll always have spare parts, and Honda civic stuff is always cheap. Next time I am there i'm going to get another O2 sensor just so i'm safe.

They're open Monday-Friday 10-5:30 (i may be wrong about friday so call first) and Saturday from 10-12:30. http://www.cookstownauto.calls.net/a...ntario/contact
Coo bud. Yea I'll let you know if I'm going there. You got msn?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ElZestyRice
Your engine bay came so clean! I love clean and tidy engine bays, some of the stuff guys on this site have done is amazing. Are you planning on doing a wire tuck with the turbo going in?

Definitely watching to see this car finished.
Thanks! Gives me inspiration. And I know! It came out a lot better than expected. I want to keep the wires clean and organized, but easy to get at. I'll probably set it up so the wires run along the side of the strut towers. But until the turbo i am just going to keep it loose and easy to get at meaning messy just until the turbo is inand until i'm happy with it, then i'll be able to make it neat and tidy.

Around July i'am planing on getting it repainted, or atleast hoping... Maybe Augest.

On Monday my transportation tech teacher is letting me bring in my PS rack so i can replace the inner and outer tie rod ends, should be a 1 day thing. After that I am going to attempt to manufacture a nicer battery stand? or plate? if you know what I mean. I'm planning on using angle iron, and i am going to weld on a bracket with a long screw and nut to hold down the battery. Let me know what you think, or any other ideas I could make for my car. I was thinking about a header but that is WAAAYYY to complicated and i'm not a very good welder so i rather just buy a used one for cheap and not risk wasting money and time on header that'll probably turn out like crap.

ALSO this week is when my grandfather and I are going to take his truck down to a shop where I can pick up my Hood and driver side fender. They will not go on the red car until the B16 is out on a stand with the tranny AND the white car is gutted. So I should be set on parts for the next little while.

I'm also looking for GSR ARP head studs for my build, i'll also need main studs, right?

Last edited by SpikedInterest; 04-21-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice nice brah and for being 15 you got your sh#t together.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No sorry I don't. Wasn't a fan of it.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just PM on here.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teggyluva90
nice nice brah and for being 15 you got your sh#t together.
Thanks!

Well the long weekend is over i'll be starting on gutting the engine bay, ecu and harness, and integra interior today and that car should be finished by next week. (I hope) out of the donor car. My Dads friend has a friend that owns a shop and will hot tank my block(s) for me, and re-lube my head with a new head gasket and hopfully GSR camshafts. Also trying to find a Skunk2 IM for cheap. I'll be in the garage tearing apart the b16 for today and probably tomorrow as well.

We also found out that the clutch on the B16 is an Exedy Single Plate clutch, brand-new as well. I'll take pictures when it comes off. Also been told that the flywheel was re-surfaced. This motor is basically done as is. But a few more mods wouldn't hurt
Old 04-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, so I got busy ripping apart the donor car, so far I got the rad out, air intake, all hoses disconnected, electrical connections disconnected, interior barely touched more like I put more in it to make room around the garage plus i focused more on the motor because I have to be even more delicate with this motor and I got the shift linkages apart and the down pipe to catalyic converter disconnected. Next will be CV shafts, engine and tranny pull and then interior completely gutted, with the ECU and harness'.

I also picked up my hood and fender today (which is why I didn't touch the interior and didn't have time for CV shafts) and I picked up some auto body tools at Princess Auto for $22.73 reg. 59.99 so I got a pretty good deal IMO.

Here are some picture;
How she sits for tonight;

Do you think this is cool? Or ricey?

The tools I bought

Primered Hood

Primered Fender

Nearly 3 Civics in parts!

Thanks my update for now, this week will slow down a bit. I'll work on my steering rack at school and get it done tomorrow. So I can start on my new battery plate.

Let me know what you think. Give me any kind of critisim positive or negative it all ends up to help me out in the end.

OH and the white civic has nicer 2.5" piping so if the one i have prior to this post sounds and performs like crap I can always swap them out.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SO I got the inner and outer tie rod ends aparts, and the boots were cracked and one was split at the top but luckily i have an extra rack so I have extra boots so I should be safe. here are some pictures;

I saw this on the way to pick up my parts, I thought it was really nice and clean, looked like it had rota slips on it.

Parts box (sorry it's dirty i took the picture after i finished)

Label

Old steering rack (i know its difficult to see i wasn't think straight)

New

Also picked up my Dads old engine stand from his d15b build with custom allen key bolts that he fabricated at work.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good progress.

Will you be filming the swap?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good progress.

Will you be filming the swap?
If you're interested I could set up my snowboarding POV camera when we put the motor back in. And when we dissassemble and reassemble the engine block and head if you guys really wanna see. Its no issue for me. Let me know. There is no point in filiming the removal because there is countless films of it going on. I figured the dissassembly and reassembly would be more entertaining.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're interested I could set up my snowboarding POV camera when we put the motor back in. And when we dissassemble and reassemble the engine block and head if you guys really wanna see. Its no issue for me. Let me know. There is no point in filiming the removal because there is countless films of it going on. I figured the dissassembly and reassembly would be more entertaining.
hell yea good idea
Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn straight bro!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, let me get the white car gutted and the body done (welded) on the red car, and prior,during,and after we send the red car to paint i'll make a video of the dissassembley of the head and (hopefully) installation of GSR cams and skunk2 IM and headers, and obviously a re-lubing everything up! Should be good. I'll even make a video of how we cut out and welded in where the red car is rusted.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, let me get the white car gutted and the body done (welded) on the red car, and prior,during,and after we send the red car to paint i'll make a video of the dissassembley of the head and (hopefully) installation of GSR cams and skunk2 IM and headers, and obviously a re-lubing everything up! Should be good. I'll even make a video of how we cut out and welded in where the red car is rusted.
I'd really like to see the vid of you cutting out the rust and welding the new metal!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
Ok If that motor is Z6 then it has a non Vtec head on it. Yes the 92-95 D16Z6 all had a valve cover that said Vtec. But again it does not matter since you are not using that motor, sell it for more build funds.
A S80 trans can be either a GSR or a LS trans. My Ls trans is labeled S80. You will need to check the VIN number on the trans to see if it came from a GSR or a LS. The LS tans INO is better for boost because of the longer gearing.
You can ARP hardware from those muscle car shops. ARP is used by every one and every make of car in the aftermarket. Or go online and get them.
92-93 si's didn't say vtec on the valve cover, I have had 2, 94 -95 did, also the the 92-93 had a 2 post drivers side mount, where the 94-95 had the 3 post/hole mount like the integras

here is a pick of the 93 z6 I sold
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome! looking forward for more updates! good luck.

Quick Reply: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build