Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build

So here is the story, I bought this 1993 Honda Civic Si all Stock (aside form a Pioneer Deck) from an older couple from the city of Toronto (Not like it matters but they had it towed straight to my front door by CAA which was pretty sweet) off of Kijiji. For everyone that doesn't know what Kijiji is, its like Craigslist but not as scary and for Canada only. Anyways, back to the Honda, the thing that really caught my eye about this specific Honda is 1. It had all the Si features (power sunroof, power mirrors, power steering etc.) 2. brand new Kumho tires and a nearly brand new clutch (400km), 3. the wife has been the original owner since 1993! 4. And she had Honda do all of the work on the car.

But like any typical Canadian Honda it has that terrible terrible Honda rust, also the car needed a new headgasket, and a couple of other things to get it going. It was relativly clean on the interrior, the driver's side door was lightly rusted on the bottom and the door was out of alignment (meaning it didn't sit properly it hung down a bit so there was constant rubbing at the bottom), and the bumpers were a little rough, along with the rocker pannels.

I figured I got a decent deal considering she brought it to my drive-way from Toronto (I live out in Barrie which is approx. 1 hour drive from Toronto) and the fact that it was 1 owner, lady driven, and all paper work was present.

Now the plans for this little beast. My initial plan was to build an LS-Vtec and when I go to University I would turbo it the summer of. So here we go;

1991 B16a Head
1993 B18a1 Block
1995 GSR Transmission with LSD
New Inner and Outer Tie-rod ends, ball joints, and sway bar links
ITR Rear Sway Bar
New OEM LCA (Can't afford Function7s yet so there no point in being ricey)
New OEM Front Bumper, Fenders, and Hood
Temporary Ebay Headers (before I get attacked these are temporary just until the car is prepared for turbo)
Lowering Springs (I want to get CS-II's later on 350/350)
Powder Coat all suspension arms/components (Forks,etc.)
Used 2.5" Jasma/5zigen Exhaust
Front&Rear strut bars
440 DSM Injectors
Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
Re-done p28 ECU&Harness (Just clean it up with electrical tape and labels)
Chipped with Ostrich 2.0 ^
Repainted with Milano Red (as it is now)
OEM Driver Door
Cut out and re-weld in new rear quarter pannels.

This is pretty much it for the next little while, I have my own list for the turbo kit already, but this is what is getting worked on for now. But at the moment it is tear down time. Just so you guys have a little information on me, I am 15 (obviously in highschool) so I may come across as a dumbass on some issues that I may encounter, so have mercy .

I also realise that my list seems all over the place, but this is just what I have written down for everything before turbo in my little wish-list journal (I like being organized when it comes to projects).

And now the pictures of the morning after the day we got it.

Oh! And thank you too grumblemarc for showing me how to properly upload photos from photobucket into a forum/thread.

Thats all the photos for now, note that the reason I already know what head and block I am going to use, is because I already have them lined up and ready for pick up/tear down.

Oh! And my power goals when all said and done (and trust me for the turbo upgrades I have read a lot and I am going to with GO-Autoworks, eventually, I have a lot of internals I want to upgrade but lets take this one step at a time) are 350whp on Premium 91 octance (here in Canada its 85,87,89 or 91 octane, some places have 94/95 but are difficult to find)

Oh and another thing, (sorry I am rambling) this will NOT be my Daily Driver as my grandparents have been so every loving in giving me their 1999 Saturn L-Series that I can use for winter and rain day driving while the civic is in the shop. (No sarcasm intended).

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build

Looks good. Congratulations. This could turn out to be a nice build. Please, please, do yourself a favor and be sure you have an experienced engine builder help you along the way. At the very least, check back here for some feedback. Also, try browsing around the turbo forum.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Congratulations! I'm interested to see where you will be with this car in the near future.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My Dad actually grew up with an expirenced tranny mechanic who rebuilt the GSR transmission in August 2011, and he is also building himself a drag car. All custom so I should be in good hands. I'll give more detail on that when the car comes in tonight.

And thank you! I picked it up for $800.00 if you're curious of how much I got her for, tonight I will be pressure washing the engine bay and body, the putting her in the garage to begin the tear down. Shouldn't take to long according to everything that I have read, and some help from the old man.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RaceVtechTurbo
My Dad actually grew up with an expirenced tranny mechanic who rebuilt the GSR transmission in August 2011, and he is also building himself a drag car. All custom so I should be in good hands. I'll give more detail on that when the car comes in tonight.

And thank you! I picked it up for $800.00 if you're curious of how much I got her for, tonight I will be pressure washing the engine bay and body, the putting her in the garage to begin the tear down. Shouldn't take to long according to everything that I have read, and some help from the old man.
800 bucks? Nice find man. Good luck with your build.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Datonekat
800 bucks? Nice find man. Good luck with your build.
Thanks! I thought it was, at the very least a decent buy. I do not regret it at all.

I just got home from school so I am about to go drive it into the garage to begin tearing out the interior and rough body panels. Also my fathers buddy is going to drop off the 'parts car' (we'll call it that). I'll give more details and pictures on that later tonight.

If you could shoot me some tips and things to look out for when pulling apart the interior let me know. I rather be safe than sorry.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only tip I can give you for that is to be careful. There are lots of clips and such in the interior that love to break or snap. I am also assuming that you have a Helms manual just in case you run into a snag.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by anothersickhatch
The only tip I can give you for that is to be careful. There are lots of clips and such in the interior that love to break or snap. I am also assuming that you have a Helms manual just in case you run into a snag.
Yes I do. I have the 92-95 Honda Civic manual that gives step by step instructions. Its pretty sweet, my Dad downloaded it when he had is old LX sedan that he was trying to custom turbo it with a mazda 626 turbo and custom exhaust manifold on a D15B. It would have been sick, but some guy in a minivan rear ended my Dad on his way home and the chassis bent so it was written off, this was back in 2004-2005.

I am sitting in the garage with my laptop taking this thing apart. Aha
Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So are you stripping the entire car for body work and cleaning?
Old 04-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by anothersickhatch
So are you stripping the entire car for body work and cleaning?
Well I stripped the seats, rear plastic quarters, carpet, centre consols, front and rear bumpers, the foam padding (i don't know the name) and the reinforcement bars, Which turned out to be a bit of a problem. There was a lot more rust than we initially thought, so we are going to have to cut it out and either re-weld it with steel sheets or cut it out of the donor car and re weld it in, we also learned that the car was in an accident a while back because the rear reinforcement bar ended up in two peices and rusted. But thankfully the donor car was dropped off today. We also removed the head lights and rear corner lights (the tail gate is stripped and rusted on so we'll probably have to grind or torch it off because it's on there good) and we removed the wheel well liners as well.

After we pull the motor out we'll have to drop the gas tank to see its condition and so there is less of a risk when we go to cut the quarters out with a dremel and weld in the newer ones.

My main focus for now is tear down, purchasing new body panels, and motor pulls.

I am currently uploading the new photos to my photobucket so I can post the pictures, I live out in the middle of no where so bare with me and my slow a** internet connection.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NICE FIND!! cant beat it for 800 bucks......good luck on your build looks like u have a great start!!! CHEERS
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now here is the civic being teared down after pressure washing the body and engine bay.

I will be posting pictures of the donor civic later on tonight, probably in the post directly after this one.

Picture time!

This is the exhaust my dad picked up off of a lady who was parting her civic out. It says 'Jasma' and a bunch of what looks like Japanese text on the muffler, although the tip says 5zigen and the piping says magnaflow. Aside from that we got the exhaust, strut bars, power mirrors, and an aftermarket D series header all for 180$ I thought it was worth it, but after further investigation the header had 2 hair line cracks... doesn't matter, motor is going to be pulled and sold anyways.

You can see in the picture below that under the tail lights, there is a large amount of rot, this is what I was talking about in the post prior to this... Any ideas? Opinions?

Picture below is the new rear quarters, i think they were over priced at 180$ for both sides.. but what am I going to do? I also don't want to be a cheap *** and use bondo and filler....Oh well it'll be like brand-new!

Here is a picture of the 'rebuilt' D16Z6.. i forgot to mention the lady had it rebuilt at 250,000.

Pretty clean IMO

Thats it for the Red civic... I'll be posting the donor/parts car in the next post.. you guys are in for a treat
Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zach53
NICE FIND!! cant beat it for 800 bucks......good luck on your build looks like u have a great start!!! CHEERS
Thanks for the positive comments guys! Gives me hope for this ol' girl.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That exhaust is horrible. Look at the bends how they are crushed. That is a muffler shop exhaust and a really bad one with just some knock off muffler I assume. Will it work yes it way sound like crap and it wont flow for ****.
Is it just me or does that 93 Si have a D15 in it. Should have a D16Z6. But does not matter since you are doing a LS Vtec.
JMO but go with a 96-01 B18B1 block instead of the B18A1, has the P72 oil pump already.
I hope you are not putting in the 440cc injector on the stock LS Vtec. Run the stock B series injectors until you boost the motor.
Add in some ARP head studs and rod bolts to the build. And since you place to boost it is a good idea while the motor is out and apart to put forged pistons and rods in it.
Nice car fix the rust and paint it will be clean.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, here it is. The doner car.

Riced out interior with integra dash,centre console, and door pannels. I do not like any of it IMO so i'll trash all the spray paint blue s**t and try to sell the rest.

Rear relocated batter, Brand-new!

VOXX, same rims my mom has on her '99 3.2TL. I am planning on replainting the lip Milano red to match the car. What do you think? I and also repainting the black spokes. Proper, not wal-mart half-*** crap.

Brand-new front bumper and passanger fender SCORE!

And now; the moment you have all been waiting for... THE MOTOR!

Complete B16A with stock internals and S80 tranny (I assume GSR transmission from what i have read and been told 99% sure)

So you're probably wondering why I didn't just buy this one and leave the red one.. right? Well... here is why;

The civic was backed into by a chevy 2500 pick up truck which would have been okay.. but the roof was crumpled and my Dad didn't trust a welding job to fix the roof just for safety reasons.. plus.. it has the (IMO) ugly interior, ugly tail-lights, ugly paint, and it just didn't feel as good as the red one felt, you now what i'm sayin'?

But anyways, the guy who dropped it off also has a 1993 integra with a b18a1 engine with 80,000KMS on it, so it has lots of life.. I could have it for free (the block only and most likely the seats) but i have to go and pick it.

Let me know what you think. The donor car will be mostly parted it for some extra cash.

Holy crap these posts are long.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
That exhaust is horrible. Look at the bends how they are crushed. That is a muffler shop exhaust and a really bad one with just some knock off muffler I assume. Will it work yes it way sound like crap and it wont flow for ****.
Is it just me or does that 93 Si have a D15 in it. Should have a D16Z6. But does not matter since you are doing a LS Vtec.
JMO but go with a 96-01 B18B1 block instead of the B18A1, has the P72 oil pump already.
I hope you are not putting in the 440cc injector on the stock LS Vtec. Run the stock B series injectors until you boost the motor.
Add in some ARP head studs and rod bolts to the build. And since you place to boost it is a good idea while the motor is out and apart to put forged pistons and rods in it.
Nice car fix the rust and paint it will be clean.
I had the exact same reaction to the exhaust, it looks like some chop shop did it. I'm debating whether or not to cut the piping out and use ebay ones (because it is really just piping..kind of hard to f*** up), we'll see how it does, worst case scenario, new piping. Yes it does have a D16Z6. I agree with the B18B1 comment, but I got the B18a1 for free so i figured I'd give it a go. and as for the DSM injectors, they will be going in with the turbo build as well, i was planning on keeping it stock until then, I was just listing off things I already have at my disposal. And yes ARP is what I am looking for, but a lot of shops around me are more of 'american muscle' and 'hard core drag shops' for domestic cars. i have to go into the city to get those or order them online, but YES ARP head studs and bolts will be put in.

When it comes to pistons I already have those picked out, along with the rods. I just listed the small stuff I have, and the 'what i need' as opposed to 'what I want'.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man when u start partin it out let me no because im most likely going to need stuff fr my del sol and since its a b16 i could use some of those parts
Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good build so far, better to be through now. Want to sell the headlights off the donor car?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gzes
hey man when u start partin it out let me no because im most likely going to need stuff fr my del sol and since its a b16 i could use some of those parts
I am NOT parting out the motor, by any means. By parting i out, i mean't interior.. My fault for not stating that. I apologise
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I should make this clear before any more questions.. parts i am keeping;

Short shifter, headlights, hatch glass, tailgate, wheels, cv shafts, all engine components, ecu and harness, body pannels, driver door.

Parts for sale; all integra interior parts (dash, cluster, door panels), tailights, driver fender..

thats all i can think of
Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aww i need like stuff around engine to make mine work lol like the radiator water tank, hoses but im getting them new, distributor, stuff like that
Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try your local junk yard. You might find some sleeper, or a car they over looked. I remember when I was there last week i found a DB8 with and Integra Type R B18C5 sitting in it, I came back the next two days and it was gone.

Even parts that don't look after market, could be aftermarket... Or your local classifieds.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats not a z6 head on your red car, just sayin.......
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crawfo661
thats not a z6 head on your red car, just sayin.......
Yes it its. The 92-93 models didn't say vtec on them and came in black like the d16 heads. Notice how the plugs are in the front of the head. You can also see the vtec solenoid on the back of the head.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know a pretty decent amount for being 15.

Quick Reply: My First Car/1993 Honda Civic Si Build