Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My Eg Hatch...kind of a slow build thread I guess

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Eg Hatch...kind of a slow build thread I guess

I'll start by introducing myself. I live PA and this is my eg hatch. I've had one other honda in the past, a Del Sol and I've had a few random cars in between from an eclipse to a bimmer. I've had my eg for about 3 months and I've been getting the car together and driving to my liking. This thread will be full of updates, info, and probably a lot of questions. Any feedback positive or negative is appreciated.

Model: 92 Civic Dx
Motor: B18b block, B18c1 head
Transmission: LS cable trans

Mods
Yonaka Exhaust
Aftermarket Header
Ghetto Intake
Edelbrock victor x intake manifold
Edelbrock throttle body
Tuned by Innovative Motorworks

Function form type one coilovers
Megan racing lcas
Megan racing strut bars

GSR seats
Some stupid aftermarket steering wheel

Spoon style spoiler
Steelies!

The car has other mods that I don't really feel like thinking about right now haha. The car has some problems but I've got a lot of plans for it. I've already fixed a lot since I got the car such as a lot of wiring and cleaning up, fixing minor problems, etc. Only mods I've done since I've had the car are the exhaust, getting the car tuned, and a stereo. The car is my daily driver and made a 12 hour straight drive a few weeks ago no problem.
My first plans right now are to clean up the swap and get everything not working in the car working, refreshing the suspension, and then eventually some more supporting mods before getting the car tuned again. And of course some wheels, really want to pick up some gsr blades. Anyway on to some pictures. Nothing great but I'm no photographer and they're all phones pics. My cell phone only let me upload these three pictures but I'll get some more up when it let's me.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Eg Hatch...kind of a slow build thread I guess

What kinda numbers does this car make
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Made about 160. Not sure of the exact number I don't have the dyno sheet in front of me. Could've made more if we revved it higher but I don't wanna rev it too high.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty clean EG man! Liking the colour, working on one myself. Is that an aftermarket sunroof I spy? I have the same one on my donor car.

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking. Just looking at the price differenced from Canada to the States.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man. I like the color too one of my favorite parts of the car. Unfortunately it has a black passenger fender because the previous owner damaged the fender. Yeah...stupid aftermarket sunroof leaks. Been working on fixing it, gotten it better but not completely leak free. I actually traded my old car for it, an E36 bmw.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JustaEgg
Thanks man. I like the color too one of my favorite parts of the car. Unfortunately it has a black passenger fender because the previous owner damaged the fender. Yeah...stupid aftermarket sunroof leaks. Been working on fixing it, gotten it better but not completely leak free. I actually traded my old car for it, an E36 bmw.
Is it painted black or just primered?
If it's painted black you should wet-sand it down and just respray it. Just make sure you're capable of doing it, or know someone who can do a proper job.

How many miles are on it?

It looks pretty good overall, good luck man.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That paint color is awesome!
Why oh why would someone convert it to cable?
Def in for this thread.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RaceVtechTurbo
Is it painted black or just primered?
If it's painted black you should wet-sand it down and just respray it. Just make sure you're capable of doing it, or know someone who can do a proper job.

How many miles are on it?

It looks pretty good overall, good luck man.
The fender on the car when I got it was trashed so I got a red fender from the junkyard and sanded it, primered it, and painted it with some satin black paint I had sitting around for now. The chassis has about 165k. Thanks, I'll have to check out your build thread later when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
That paint color is awesome!
Why oh why would someone convert it to cable?
Def in for this thread.
Thanks, I like the fact that people have trouble deciding what color it really is sometimes. Right? It has already caused me headaches since getting the car. Now trying to decide between getting another cable tranny or going hydro when I get a new one in the next few months because I have some problems with second and third grinding right now.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try your best to just convert back to hydro when its time for a trans. Are you looking to get another ls trans? My b16a ej6 has an ls trans and I like the mpg. It also does really well doing highway pulls, but that god awful 2-3 shift!!!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was leaning towards hydro but since its already been converted to cable I figured I can get a nice cable trans for cheaper than a hydro. I'll probably go with ls because although the b16 trans is fun I do a lot of highway driving and prefer not to be revving so high just cruising down the highway.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been having problems with the throttle cable rubbing because the car has the wrong cable or bracket. Been reading up on it and it seems like I need an itr cable and bracket and an eg "wheel" or whatever you want to call it on the throttle body. Am I on the right track with that? It's a gsr head with the edelbrock victor x intake manifold and throttle body.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JustaEgg
I was leaning towards hydro but since its already been converted to cable I figured I can get a nice cable trans for cheaper than a hydro. I'll probably go with ls because although the b16 trans is fun I do a lot of highway driving and prefer not to be revving so high just cruising down the highway.
A somewhat common transmission that people usually setup for b16a's, LS-V's and somtimes a GSR engines is the GSR tranny with an LS-5th, which allows the 5th gear ratio to be longer so you can accelerate more in 5th gear. I plan on doing that when I get to work on my engine and tranny this winter, right after body work.

I'm 90% sure thats correct.

I was reading a thread somewhere and the LS-5th gear swap only costed about $150. But it's probably not necessary if you're trying to get the MPG's you should probably stick with a stock LS.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've read about that but cracking open a transmission is something I've never done. I've read up on it because I was thinking about fixing mine, just not sure if it's something I'm up for. Found a few more pictures of the car on photobucket so I thought I'd throw them up.

I know I know...I hate the stupid holes too

Last edited by JustaEgg; 08-01-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got a little update since I've actually been getting some stuff done. Nothing too exciting but ripped out the stupid white face gauges that were in the car so its back to oem. Cleaned the engine bay, and started painting the strut bar today. Also have energy suspension shifter bushings, control arm bushings, and itr throttle cable/bracket on the way. Going to check the valves and adjust them this weekend and change up the valve cover while it's off. All in all should have some more engine bay pictures in the next few days, and hopefully more updates to come.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got a few new pictures after some minor changes. Been trying to clean it up a little bit and fix some of the nagging problems. Before the pictures I have a question though. The car has had a sort of clunking noise when turning right for awhile now. But it was only when turning sharp. I had somebody put a set of energy suspension polyurethane bushings in the front LCAs and the noise got really bad. Like the slightest right turn of the wheel even just to straighten the car would clunk. I changed the drivers axle because it was a little beat up, and that helped a little but the sound is still there and worse than before the bushings. I can turn left as sharp as I want but not right. If I'm going <10mph it doesn't really do it. When its making the clunking noise I can feel it in the steering wheel as well. My guess is the driver wheel bearing. But not sure if there's any way to really test it or narrow down what it really is. Anyway...to a few pictures.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe it could be your steering column that's just a guess. Or just take it to a shop and let them check it out. Anyways I like your eg I have an ej2 dx coupe, yours is really nice btw I like how you are not just blowing all your money before getting your car ready for the road. I'm in to see new updates of your car.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your passenger side motor mount looks a little uh...destroyed, there.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kidhuf
Maybe it could be your steering column that's just a guess. Or just take it to a shop and let them check it out. Anyways I like your eg I have an ej2 dx coupe, yours is really nice btw I like how you are not just blowing all your money before getting your car ready for the road. I'm in to see new updates of your car.
Ended up being the bolt that holds the front lca to the subframe. There's a nut welded inside the subframe that got broken off, I guess when the bushings were being installed. All I'm going to say is that was not a fun job fixing that. Thanks, I'm trying to make sure everything is in decent shape before I blow a bunch of money on extra stuff.

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Your passenger side motor mount looks a little uh...destroyed, there.
Yeah, it is haha. Have a new mount on the way as we speak. Getting a lot better quality than the mount that was on there too. I'm hoping I got the right mount though because the car was originally an auto, and its now manual with a cable trans. So I need an auto to manual, hydraulic to cable mount basically.

As for updates I fixed the clunking problem as mentioned above, got a new mount on the way as well. In the process of making a new intake from an intake I had on one of my old cars to replace that steel hot air intake haha. Been tracking down an annoying rattle as well that I'm still yet to find. Sounds like a heat shield rattle but it doesn't seem to be. I'm sure I've done a few other things as well, but nothing too major.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice eg build. You do what you can with what you have. All nice cars cost $$$$.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been awhile since I've really updated this. Got a few things done lately, got the shifter bushings and itr throttle cable on. Have a new innovative transmission mount in the car, less ghetto intake haha, got some 15" ssw wheels and some blox extended wheel studs so no more steelies. Replaced the stupid cheap quick release steering wheel with a 1st gen prelude wheel. Also got some OEM corners to replace the aftermarket ones but they're not in the pictures. Anyway a few more pictures, tried to upload two other ones but they wouldn't upload from my phone.

Last edited by JustaEgg; 10-25-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member