Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Perks of owning an EG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perks of owning an EG?

Well, I'm going to be getting a new car soon and i've knocked my list down to the following

EG Hatch
EK Hatch
Nissan 240SX
Mazda Miata

I read over the "EG vs. EK" post in GD&D, but i've got a few questions left. First off, i'm leaning towards getting another Honda simply because a) I know my way around Hondas more than Nissans and Mazdas, b) The people at H-T are so damn helpful, and c) I won't have to worry about integrating into a new forum.

There are a few EG hatches for sale in my area (NoVA) and one is a '92 DX with only 50k miles for $5000 (I have $7500 to spend).

So basically, what are the perks of owning an EG? I'm sure there are some, seeing as how so many people own them. This is not about perks of owning a Honda, strictly about the EG hatch.

If I get the EG, it'll be mainly for daily transportation, but I also plan on maybe doing a few mods (Going "All Motor," because if I wanted a turbo'd car, i'd just buy a factory turbo'd car).

Any help is appreciated
Old 05-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (AccordKid85)

mazda miata is the best bang for the buck if handeling is a concern. If you want to build a drag car, then get a EG and dump money into a swap.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a lightweight car that is a good candidate for an engine swap and is good for carrying stuff around in.

That's about it. Personally, I find myself carrying stuff in the back of the car fairly regularly so the hatchbacks are much more practical than other cars - for instance, the '01 prelude I bought new and sold after about a year. I've had 3 EG's and one EK and I sold my last EK to go back to an EG -- primarily because the split rear hatch allows me to hang long stuff out the back of the car.

$5K is a lot for a '92 civic. You could get a good condition Si for that. If you're thinking that you're going to leave it stock so it's a good deal.... well, maybe not. You can find DX motors for next to nothing, and sometimes free. If you're going to swap the engine, then it's a waste of money.

Good luck with the search.

[edit] If cargo space weren't an issue, and I were smaller, I'd have bought a Miata a long time ago. I also considered a 240 project at one time as well.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (JeffS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

$5K is a lot for a '92 civic. You could get a good condition Si for that. If you're thinking that you're going to leave it stock so it's a good deal.... well, maybe not. You can find DX motors for next to nothing, and sometimes free. If you're going to swap the engine, then it's a waste of money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I think it's a lot for a '92 despite the very low miles. It was the only one I could think of off the top of my head. By "If you're going to swap the engine, then it's a waste of money," do you mean if I were to buy this 50k mile DX and swap out for a B16 it would be a waste? Or if I just plan on swapping, that'd be a waste of money?

One reason i'm not leaning towards the Miata is that I can only fit 1 other person in there and there isn't as much storage space in the Miata. However, the RWD is VERY tempting.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Trial User

a stock EG is not worth 5k, good luck finding an EK hatch, very hard to come by. It took me a long time to find mine.

EG's handle well, light, perfect for swaps. Plus a classic
Old 05-08-2004, 04:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AccordKid85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
However, the RWD is VERY tempting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then get the 240sx and drop an SR20DETT. Done.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (REDGEAR)

s2k
Old 05-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I mean is that it's a waste of money to pay a premium for a low-mileage car if you're going to swap the engine.

Granted, there are tons of wear items, like bushings, bearings, etc, that would be in better shape in the less-used car, but you could buy a $2000 car and replace everything and still have money left over. You can also find DX engines for free or next to nothing if you wanted to keep one stock.

The main issue I've seen is with body condition. Many EG's are starting to rust out or have cheap repaints. I would be EXTREMELY wary about buying a car that's been repainted. My first EG was a repaint and within the first year, the paint started flaking off and rust spots started bleeding through the paint from where they were never properly repaired.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (TODAeg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">s2k </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, I wish. Insurance would give it to me up the ***.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good luck finding an EK hatch, very hard to come by.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, on AutoTrader, I think there are only 1 or 2 EK hatches within 100 miles of my area that are in my price range. Why are EK hatches so hard to come by? Lower production numbers?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:15 PM

Get an Eg There Light.. Look nice when done right......by done right i mean not riced out !!!....If you get a good swap then ur set......Oh yeah there really not that expensive to maintain thats why u see alot of them....Im searching for a car too...But i know its an EG....but if i find and eK for a nice price i'll take it....but I really want a eg.....Damn and u have 7500 to spend !!! Good Luck Bro...I wish i had 7500 to spend IN N Out BuRGer doesn't pay me enough...
Old 05-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (mrdanglez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrdanglez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn and u have 7500 to spend !!! Good Luck Bro...I wish i had 7500 to spend IN N Out BuRGer doesn't pay me enough...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I don't have $7500 cash. I'm getting a car loan, then will be paying it off for the next few years. Of course, I don't have to spent all of that $7500 on the car. I could buy something for $4000 and save myself some money every month. My dad suggested I buy something close to my limit, simply because it will be newer (probably) and less chance of having to replace parts early.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never pay $5,000 for Stock EG hatch.
Just my .02 b/c i dont know if its stock or not.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would never pay $5,000 for Stock EG hatch.
Just my .02 b/c i dont know if its stock or not.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, it was stock at a dealership in my area. There's a '99 EK hatch for $6999 at another dealership with 100k miles...I know Hondas can last a long time, but $7000 for a '99 with 100k miles seems like too much.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TODAeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EG's handle well, light, perfect for swaps. Plus a classic </TD></TR></TABLE>

classic? maybe in your eyes.. it still not going to worth **** in 20 years.. even though i own one.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (b-powa)

with eg's you can get parts for 92-95 civics OR parts from 94-01 Integra's leaving you with double the amount of parts to choose from...

eg's are hard to find (in my area at least) because everyone wants them..you can find coupes all the time same with sedans.

if i was you i wouldnt modify a car its a waste of money when you think about it

i love to hate my car lol
Old 05-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (VX_SOHC)

All the girls tell me my car is cute

But seriously.. Its small and light, handles nice with a nice suspension package, small parking spots needed.. Large cargo area with the back seats down.. Fairly fast with a B series swap..

and GREAT gas mileage.. I recently got 22/mpg beating on it every day, in VTEC constantly, and 28-29mpg when im easy on it.. Mixed driving, city and short highway trips with a stock GSR motor..
Old 05-08-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (VX_SOHC)

I just bought my EG about a week ago for $2,400. The perks of an EG.....hmmmm... Well they get great gas milage stock (VX 46 city/52 Highway), they are pretty cheap, a susprisingly spacious interior, and they look damn good.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (P!cKl3$)

$5,000 is ridiculous for an EG.

horrible. If you're gonna buy one, look around, and don't go too fast.

Another important thing you might want to consider is SAFETY. I'm not saying don't get an EG, but think of how small and compact and vulnerable they are to getting totaled by any other car on the road.

But yeah, juss look around. I looked for 2 months b4 I found my car (i wasn't looking for just any car, i was looking for a specific car, so it took long).

But yeah you better scratch that $5,000 EG out. Waste of money really.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (The HamsterBall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The HamsterBall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$5,000 is ridiculous for an EG.

But yeah you better scratch that $5,000 EG out. Waste of money really.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yea, i'm well aware. As I mentioned earlier, it was the only EG in the area that I could think of off the top of my head without having to go search AutoTrader again.

Someone mentioned that '94-'01 Integra parts are interchangeable with the EG. Does that include Integra seats? I haven't been in an Integra, and the last time I was in an EG was at least two years ago getting a ride home from school (friend has a stock CX "No...power...steering...sucks!" - my friend, trying to turn the car around for a 4 point turn) so I don't remember how the seats feel.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (b-powa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b-powa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

classic? maybe in your eyes.. it still not going to worth **** in 20 years.. even though i own one. </TD></TR></TABLE>[QUOTE=b-powa]

sarcasm is a bitch.... Its a classic to the import world, everyone knows the car.

I def. think there were less EK hatches made, especially in 00, example one year the white one were made.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:51 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

get a 92 CX hatch. it's light as hell, under 2100lbs, millions of used parts are available at cheap *** prices, perfect for a myriad of swaps and you can get it rust free in nova for like under 2000$ but it'll have high mileage but that won't matter if you want power cause you'll swap anyway. o ya and with the right suspension it'll handle like a **** too. i just bought a new project car (92 dx hatch and i paid 1500 for it. it has 230,000miles on it so it's high but the body's in perfect shape which was what i was looking for since i'll swap in a c5 and go all motor like you.
92 cx or dx is the way to go
Old 05-08-2004, 10:46 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (hadehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hadehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All the girls tell me my car is cute
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wana cute car too lol
Old 05-08-2004, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (litterbox)

I got an EK because I like the bodystyle more than the EG. Originally I just wanted a cheap hatch to put my H22A into because my Accord was getting old and beat up. I looked into EG's but for just a little bit more money I was able to find a pretty nice EK so I went with that instead. Sometimes I wish I had an EG (specifically for smog testing regulations and some parts availabilty) but I still like the EK body better no matter what.

However, if I wasn't already "so deep into hondas" I would probably be building a silvia conversion. I really dig those.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Perks of owning an EG? (bomber)

Get a eg, come on 240s arnt as fast gettin totally played out in nova, every last kid who had not a super rice civic has a 240 now. eg is lighter than the ek, and imo looks a lot better, a lil easier to swap too, but watch ur car man this nova civics go bye bye.....well 240s are startin to too

Quick Reply: Perks of owning an EG?