Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms!

Ok,My car was recently a victim to a flood that happened in my city. THe water was up to my front bumper a little lower to where the front bumper becomes horizontal.I pushed it out of the water manually and waited 30 mins for it to dry and then started it so i can proceed home.it ran for a bit but the idle was at 2500 rpm and the throttle was very unresponsive(I had to realy push it to get any gas). Then it stalled,ran it again and it stalled again.now it wont even start.Remember when the flood happened my ecu was under water.THe car hasnt been able to start and stay started for 2 days now.THese are the symptoms,let me know what you think the cause is through the poll:

-starter sounds kinda different
-car wont start but will turn over
-car starts for about 2 secs when we push start it
-everyday i check on the car,my first attempt to start it will make it start for about 2 secs than it stalls
-i opened the ecu and it is damp but no visible short or burnt circuits
-spark plugs are all dry
Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms! (rocco)

You should completely dry your ECU before doing anything. Water or dampness in your ECU is bad. But if you car cranks for 2 seconds, that means you're getting power to your starter and a current to your ignitors. In addtion, what kind of intake do you have CAI or Short Ram? If it was cold you might have sucked a little bit of water into your I/M enough to where it would stall your car.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms! (mp7235)

File an insurance claim if you have comprehensive...and replace everything or buy a new car...my .02
Old 07-12-2004, 10:21 PM

Default Re: My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms! (mp7235)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mp7235 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should completely dry your ECU before doing anything. Water or dampness in your ECU is bad. But if you car cranks for 2 seconds, that means you're getting power to your starter and a current to your ignitors. In addtion, what kind of intake do you have CAI or Short Ram? If it was cold you might have sucked a little bit of water into your I/M enough to where it would stall your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>Short ram man,i made sure to stick with short ram and i still get owned.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms! (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">File an insurance claim if you have comprehensive...and replace everything or buy a new car...my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>how come,do u think my car is done for?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Re: My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms! (rocco)

bump up the volume
Old 07-13-2004, 12:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had something similar happen to mile a few months ago. i drove thru a flood to try to make it to higher ground while water was splashing onto my hood. when i finally made it, the car started bogging and smoking from the exhaust.

so i pulled it to the side and let it idle for for a while and everytime i rev the motor, it makes that sputtering noise. so then i just turn it off until the water went down. a few hours later i went to start it, all i heard was the starter making a whining noise, like it wants to start but it didnt.

so i got it towed to my house and let it sit overnight. next morning i use the compress air to blow all the water from the bay and notice filter was wet (shortram) so i took it off and see that it was a little wet around the TB. then i went ahead and pulled and replaced the plugs because they was a bit wet.

so after i changed the plugs and dried most of the bay off, i check my oil dipstick and notice it was higher then usual. so i went ahead and changed the oil and to my suprise, 5.75 quarts of oil and i guess water came out. (h22 btw).

after finished doing those things, i went ahead to start it and it was still making the same noise, but once i gave it some gas it started right up and then i let it idle until normal temp. then i went ahead and made a block, came back and ran compression test and it read 205 across the board.

i thought my motor took a **** on me. well just sharing my familiar story.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms! (=GAMEOVER=)

Hey, kids! What happens when you get an electric circuit board wet? I am also going to speculate you need a new throttle cable or just an adjustment and your tb needs cleaned.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Re: My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms! (JRI94)

bump
Old 07-13-2004, 05:58 PM

bizzump to da izzo
Old 07-13-2004, 06:56 PM

just borrow a buddies ecu and plug it up temp and see how she runs, it takes 2 seconds and can prove or rule out the wet ecu
Old 07-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Car is fucked,Please help me with your diagnosis of these symptoms! (dogfood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dogfood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just borrow a buddies ecu and plug it up temp and see how she runs, it takes 2 seconds and can prove or rule out the wet ecu</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-13-2004, 07:31 PM

check the inside of the distributor for condensation and/or corroded contact points this can cause same symptoms