Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My 1992 Hatch Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My 1992 Hatch Build

Originally Posted by bourngoofy89
ok i need some opinions, i have decided to stay with the OEM blue, but i cant decide on the engine bay color, and i need to know soon so i can start painting the engine bay.

what do you guys think? i think gold could be a good contrast for the bay, and would make it stand out a bit without being too ricer.
I think gold would look very gaudy and over-the-top. Black is always nice and the safest bet regardless of the outer color. Maybe even the wrinkled finished black. I dont think Ive seen that before in an engine. But if you want some contrast, consider gunmetal gray. It would contrast well with blue. Do you have a color in mind for the valve cover?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HeXtacY5
I think gold would look very gaudy and over-the-top. Black is always nice and the safest bet regardless of the outer color. Maybe even the wrinkled finished black. I dont think Ive seen that before in an engine. But if you want some contrast, consider gunmetal gray. It would contrast well with blue. Do you have a color in mind for the valve cover?
gunmetal would look really great actually. and as far as the valve cover goes, im not sure yet.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Blue. Keep it stock. Looks great. Contrasting bays scream ricer to me - no matter what colour. OK, black might be good.

EDIT: Gold would be awful. :/
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Blue. Keep it stock. Looks great. Contrasting bays scream ricer to me - no matter what colour. OK, black might be good.

EDIT: Gold would be awful. :/
Keep in mind that most cars pre-early-70s had black engine bays regardless of the body color. So if anything, it can be somewhat of a retro look. When its done properly with a good color scheme, it can look good.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by HeXtacY5
Keep in mind that most cars pre-early-70s had black engine bays regardless of the body color. So if anything, it can be somewhat of a retro look. When its done properly with a good color scheme, it can look good.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

while its not the same color as my car, i think the grey would look good.

but then again, its hard to find good paint for a good price here, so whatever i get is staying for quite a while.

i just dont want to be like all the other people with underbody coated engine bays (hence no wrinkle paint) maybe a nice gloss black, or metallic black so its not so hard to keep clean looking.

haha see, this is why i ask for people's opinions.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just dont want to be like all the other people with underbody coated engine bays (hence no wrinkle paint) maybe a nice gloss black, or metallic black so its not so hard to keep clean looking.

haha see, this is why i ask for people's opinions.

You could also do a wrinkle finish AND paint over it with gunmetal to have a different look.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the engine pull begins today, going to get at least the wiring all out and ready to be tucked, if i have time ill pull the engine also, but my time frame is to get everything done within the next week. lets hope things go smoothly
Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Metallic paint is even harder than gloss to keep looking clean. If you want low maintenance, go for flat, eggshell, or matte.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BIG UPDATE!

finally got started on getting the new engine in. thought i would clean up the bay a bit too.

after sorting through a lot of the mess of the wiring harness.

believe me, it looked A LOT worse than that, it was a nightmare, but im glad ive got it all cleaned up. it looks a lot better, and it will be a lot less clutter. plus if you wanna be a ricer and count pound for pound of weight reduction i got rid of at least 5 pounds of useless wiring and misc. other things. (lol)

anyway, heres a pic of how i routed the headlight harnesses

they were hanging down like that because i had just finished painting, and they were out of the way. they are extremely hard to see in the bay now (you have to look at the back of the headlight just to see any wiring)

i think the color came out pretty well

as you can see, i went with gunmetal on the paint, and it looks way better than anticipated. granted, the outside of my car looks like crap even more now than it did before, but i would rather do it now when im swapping the engine anyway than when i actually get the bodywork/paint done.

final pic, this is how im routing my wiring/charge harness. as you can see on the left side of the photo(passenger side) there is a gap between the charge harness mount and the hole in the firewall. im trying to figure out the best way to seal that, but in the mean time i should be fine, as long as i dont go driving through some intense rain/snow.

going to get the dash back in tomorrow along with prepping the engine for install. this has taken me way longer than i wanted it to take, and i still havent recieved about $1500-$2000 in parts yet (i hate shipping things over seas) so there is still a few updates coming. exhaust should be here by the end of the week!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, great work so far man. It has come a long way. I like the direction you have taken. The car was in rough shape when you got it, so you def have your work cut out for you but in the end it's going to look great. Good luck with everything.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks! it has already been a lot of work, and i know this is just the beginning. but this is the first car in a while that ive owned that im excited to see progress on!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw you got the SKunk2 Lower control arms. I also have these but my question is are they different than camber kits, because I went to get an alignment and they told me I need camber kit. Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KushBrain
I saw you got the SKunk2 Lower control arms. I also have these but my question is are they different than camber kits, because I went to get an alignment and they told me I need camber kit. Thanks
i have function and form lower control arms, but yes, the place you went to get an alignment is right, you do need camber arms. i have skunk2 camber arms (aka upper control arms) that do adjust camber. people have told me they arent good, but i havent had any problems with them.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=bourngoofy89;47736423]alright, full update on my doors.

got some aircraft grade epoxy to seal them back seeing as i cut them too short to use screws

lol aircraft grade epoxy... rocking the double bubble hahaha
Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d15bvtechatch
Doors look sick, i redid mine a few months ago to type r red. my favorite ive seen is cow print. keep it up
the red looks sick!!! but the cow print... we are gonna have to have a chat broski hahaha
Old 10-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civic2Fast

lol aircraft grade epoxy... rocking the double bubble hahaha
haha glad you know what i used
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha glad you know what i used
double bubble! we use it all the time on the helicopter the i work on. good use of db, i hope it holds up better for you then it does us. haha!!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by a.ramirez82
double bubble! we use it all the time on the helicopter the i work on. good use of db, i hope it holds up better for you then it does us. haha!!
yeah, i know what you mean, but i mean i hit the **** out of my inner door panel and it didnt even move. i think its good. except for the fact that its coming up now and i have to take it back off hahaha
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice, clean.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my exhaust is here! and it only took about 2 months to ship hahaha. but my nardi wheel came in with it, i always loved my old torino i had in my 240sx back home, so i got another one. NRG short hub with quick release and i ordered a broadway mirror, but....

yeah, it didnt survive the over seas trip...
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mine from mill's. i paid $85 shipped to Germany but i get them shipped APO so it like shipping to the states
Do you buy a lot of your parts from the US? I'm in England and I'm finding it quite hard to find parts without paying a lot of money to ship from the states or japan. No problem with engines though as there's thousands knocking around. Nice build by the way good luck
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattf22b1
Do you buy a lot of your parts from the US? I'm in England and I'm finding it quite hard to find parts without paying a lot of money to ship from the states or japan. No problem with engines though as there's thousands knocking around. Nice build by the way good luck
yes, all the parts i buy are in the states. seeing as im on an american military base, i can get parts shipped to here in germany for the same price as shipping anywhere in the states.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update without pics.

ran into a road block when getting the front brakes in. while trying to get the upper ball joint out of the socket one of my friends decided it would be a good idea to hit the bolt right on the threads and messed it up to the point of being unable to re-use it. so i had to order new ones and now my car is going to be on jack stands for about 2 weeks while waiting for the part.

good news is, the brakes have been going in quite well, havent started the rears yet, but it shouldnt be much worse than this. engine still hasnt gone in yet, but it is ready to go in any time now. so ill probably put it and the axles in while its still in the air waiting for the new ball joints.

i really have been neglecting to take pictures of everything. my new nardi wheel has been installed and im waiting until everything is done to put the exhaust on.

dash is back in and 80% of the interior is back in too. only thing i had trouble putting back in was my blower motor, which will suck as far as using my heater, but my commute is only 1-2 miles so ill be fine for now.

and also, i got some junk wheels for the new brakes and the tires are pretty big. almost tucking tire in the air haha. but it should tuck just fine when on the ground so im not worried about it.

thats all for now. ill post when there are more updates
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got my front brakes and new crap wheels on. still waiting to do the rears, as the only jack in my shop was holding up the rear end of a skyline (no idea why i came in and it was like that)

other than that, this car is starting to slow progress, but its almost done, all i have left is the rear brakes and putting the engine. after that its just hoping to god it starts hahaha

Quick Reply: My 1992 Hatch Build