Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mounting locking hood pins.. need some help..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounting locking hood pins.. need some help..

Ok, got a set of locking hood locks for my CF hood... The car is a 92 civic. The problem is the top lockin portoin thats mounted to the hood is at an angle.. Well, the rod that bolts to the front of the car is straight up and down... ANy tips and ideas on how to mount the rod at an angle so they match when the hoods closed.. I cant bend the rod because the rod is at the very LOWEST point so there is nothing sticking out for me to bend. Here is a quick diagram of the hood lock, rod, and how the rod is mounted now and how it needs to be mounted..

Also, that T that is on the locking portion once it slides inside the rod, you turn it and it locks. Well, you cant turn it because the whole T is at an angle and the rod is not..

Old 01-29-2004, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mounting locking hood pins.. need some help.. (DIY_Racing)

Well when I was on break from Honda (dont know what i was thinking) Iput on my Maxima..and I had the same problem so what I did was to bent the radiator support where the screw is.That is where you put the bolt right? .as I was saying you can bent it by taking a hammer and hitting the bolt towards the direction needed.... How you will do this is to take clay or chalk and put on the top of the bolt......now close the hood and see where the clay hit the hood in comparison to the lock(hole its supposed to go through)...after you see this you gently hit the bolt with a hammer in that direction and close it.........repeat until it closes..........
Old 01-29-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Mounting locking hood pins.. need some help.. (001020)

well, heres the problem. The rod that sticks up, is not sticking up, its at its LOWEST spot so there is nothing to hit or bend...

I have to modifiy the radiator support.... I just hoped SOMEONE had done this and had ideas.

Thanks for the response man.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mounting locking hood pins.. need some help.. (DIY_Racing)

my hood locks are the same way... i bought the hood from someone who installed them already (i think i would have put then in a different spot cuz i had to cut a little out of the headlight brace) anyways... i tried bending the bolts so they would go on the slight angle as well. the first one worked and it locks smoothly and everything. when i went and did the second one i snapped the bolt so now i am running with half the lock that i should have... this year i want to get new locks and do it again
Old 01-29-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Mounting locking hood pins.. need some help.. (xsists)

I broke one of mine when trying to bend it and stripped the threads on the other one when I tried to tighten it up. The metal is pretty soft on the ones I bought. I already cut the holes in the hood. I am going to try to come up with a different idea for the lock portion under the hood.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought locking hood pins, then said **** that cuz i ran into same proble and didnt feel like ******* with it, so i got some regular hood pins and instead of using the pins to keep the hood shut i just bought really small pad locks
Old 01-29-2004, 09:07 AM

Default Re: (badpumpkin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by badpumpkin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i got some regular hood pins and instead of using the pins to keep the hood shut i just bought really small pad locks</TD></TR></TABLE>

...which could be cut w/ a scissor practically, but at least its safer than just pins.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

locking pins suck anyways, hood flew off goin 115 down the freeway cuz the little rod that keeps the hood locked, snapped, therefore loosing my CF hood that cost a lot of money, and have a buddy that had the same thing happen to him except he was goin a little faster, i dont know maybe its bad luck
Old 01-29-2004, 09:28 AM

Default Re: (badpumpkin)

when i do get a CF hood, i'll be getting one that requires no hood pins, and adding them(or locks) anyway. I think many of the cases of CF hoods flying off are from people who buy the cheapest (thinnest) hood they can find, and think hook locks or pins will solve all their worries... not saying that was your situation.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mounting locking hood pins.. need some help.. (fred92htch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fred92htch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I broke one of mine when trying to bend it and stripped the threads on the other one when I tried to tighten it up. The metal is pretty soft on the ones I bought. I already cut the holes in the hood. I am going to try to come up with a different idea for the lock portion under the hood.</TD></TR></TABLE>

broke one of my lock arms too...
Old 01-29-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: (sol2nr)

The hoood i have now doesnt REQUIRE them, but for some reason that latch breaks im not gonna have it do 1500 dollars worth of damage when it flies up and smashes EVERYTING...

plus, ANYONE who sells carbon fiber hoods have to recommend hoodpins because its an Off road use only item...