Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

More comfortable seats for an EG Hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More comfortable seats for an EG Hatch?

I have a 94 VX, and I have always heard that Integra seats are more comfortable than Civic seats. Needless to say, I went to the scrap yard today, and found some GSR cloth seats, and quite frankly, they felt exactly the same as my horrendous factory Civic seats, so I didn't get them. It's still the same hard foam and unbearable to drive distance wise. I know what seats are swapable, but does anybody have any suggestions on what would be a comfortable seat to swap in for comfort that is cheap? The GSR seats were only $70 for both, but like I said, I wasn't going to buy if they weren't comfortable. I don't care about appearance, or having a lot of bolstering as this is an economy car and will never see a race track. If Del Sol seats are more comfortable, then so be it, but the bolstering is not a necessity. I just was curious if anybody else has had similar experiences with the seats. I'm mostly looking for lumbar support and softer foam more than anything. The GSR seats seems identical other than the headrest in my opinion, unless I just randomly sat in a bad batch.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:54 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: More comfortable seats for an EG Hatch?

Both "comfort" and "cheap" mean different things to different people. What do you consider to be "cheap?" Your seats may be uncomfortable because they're worn out and you may have sat in worn out GSR seats.

I think the user NotARacist did a writeup on, I think, swapping TL seats. He may have done it under his jbpnoman man, though.

I've Integra Recaro seats and like them. In my opinion I don't like the Del Sol seats.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:58 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All the OEM seats from those years suck.

I have the SR4 Recaros in my current hatch, they seem pretty comfy.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:01 PM
talks to himself

2LEM1 just likes to show off his baller **** to try and make us jealous. I gotta say... it's working.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
2LEM1 just likes to show off his baller **** to try and make us jealous. I gotta say... it's working.
Funny!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

I love the seats in my EH3! Not sure if they are any different than VX seats, but they are perfect for me.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both "comfort" and "cheap" mean different things to different people. What do you consider to be "cheap?" Your seats may be uncomfortable because they're worn out and you may have sat in worn out GSR seats.

I think the user NotARacist did a writeup on, I think, swapping TL seats. He may have done it under his jbpnoman man, though.

I've Integra Recaro seats and like them. In my opinion I don't like the Del Sol seats.
Under $100. I'm sure my seats are worn out, but they are just hard as can be and there is some plasticky sounding material that is in the cloth material when he try to press on it, that I believe makes it even harder. My brother has cloth seats in his 89 Civic LX that are 10x more comfortable than mine despite being the same basic shape. They are just softer and you are able to sink into them more in terms of the foam, not the shape.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:07 PM
I like to party

Eh, I felt like this thread needed some excitement.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I like how this question comes up every couple months.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I like how this question comes up every couple months.
I've reviewed prior threads, but I'm not interested in appearance or how JDM it is. I am simply interested in cheap, swappable comfort for long distance drives. I investigated the GSR seats, and so far, it seems to be a clone of the civic seat minus the headrests.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

96-00 seats are softer, especially 96-98. much less bolster support.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:41 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

You can fit almost any seat if you customize the seat rails. People recommend 94-01 Integra seats because they are the only seats that are a direct bolt-in without swapping seat pans or doing custom work. Obviously you have very specific tastes, so people internet opinions aren't going to really help you. I suggest you go sit in all the seats at the junk-yard and find some that fit. Then go ahead and try to engineer a way to make those seats work in your car.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:13 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by jeffcat
I've reviewed prior threads, but I'm not interested in appearance or how JDM it is. I am simply interested in cheap, swappable comfort for long distance drives. I investigated the GSR seats, and so far, it seems to be a clone of the civic seat minus the headrests.
Guess what, the same thing they ask for as well.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:13 AM
Fish Twig

Both "comfort" and "cheap" mean different things to different people.
This right here sums it up
Old 01-06-2017, 06:14 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by 94eg!
You can fit almost any seat if you customize the seat rails. People recommend 94-01 Integra seats because they are the only seats that are a direct bolt-in without swapping seat pans or doing custom work. Obviously you have very specific tastes, so people internet opinions aren't going to really help you. I suggest you go sit in all the seats at the junk-yard and find some that fit. Then go ahead and try to engineer a way to make those seats work in your car.
imho, integra seats are not comfy for long distance. Either that of the comfy-ness wore off.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Guess what, the same thing they ask for as well.
I've never seen answers derived in my manner.

at any rate, I was hoping with the plethora of seat swap options that were available over such a large time span, that Honda would have at least made 1 tolerable one....but I guess not.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:47 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by jeffcat
Under $100. I'm sure my seats are worn out, but they are just hard as can be and there is some plasticky sounding material that is in the cloth material when he try to press on it, that I believe makes it even harder. My brother has cloth seats in his 89 Civic LX that are 10x more comfortable than mine despite being the same basic shape. They are just softer and you are able to sink into them more in terms of the foam, not the shape.

Offer to buy the seat(s) off your brother. He may take you up on it. Or put out a WTB ad for that type of seat.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Offer to buy the seat(s) off your brother. He may take you up on it. Or put out a WTB ad for that type of seat.
but then he wouldn't have seats, plus it's a lot harder to find matching color EF seats as my seats are dark gray/black and his are tan.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:39 AM
talks to himself

Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my brother is younger. I got his EF Civic running after replacing the ignitor and ECU with some help from others on here. We time trial a miata with NASA. I frequent salvage yards in Ohio. I'm not some noob. I was simply inquiring about comfortable seats from other Hondas that are interchangeable into my EG hatch. I figured there would be enough personal experience on here to inform me of "oh hey I swapped seats from a honda/acura >insert here < and it was an improvement in comfort over the factory seats".
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM
talks to himself

Old 01-06-2017, 10:59 AM
talks to himself

JBPnoman's post on swapping CL seats into a sixth gen: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...6-8-a-3122006/
Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the seats out of a last gen Celica in the junkyard and swapped them into my '94 VX and quite like them. Though I thought the stock seats were just fine. Maybe DD'ing a 1 piece bench seat for 9 years makes me feel spoiled. The Celica seats definitely require custom mounts in the rear. The front mounts can just be bent to bolt up, but the mounting holes are farther apart so you need to cut/reweld one mount or oval them out unless you dont mind the seat binding on the tracks. I did both seats in less than a day with some 1"x0.125" angle iron, angle grinder, hand drill, and mig welder.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:10 PM
I like to party

The difference between a shitty OEM seat from the 90s, and a JDM Recaro from an ITR or CTR, is literally night and day. You won't believe how much it changes the feel of the car. It's WELL worth the $600 for a used set.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
The difference between a shitty OEM seat from the 90s, and a JDM Recaro from an ITR or CTR, is literally night and day. You won't believe how much it changes the feel of the car. It's WELL worth the $600 for a used set.

I don't doubt they are more comfortable, but I can't afford a JDM price gouged seat just because it's "type R dawg" to some people. I could buy some used real recaros for that price from our track friends. I would rather compromise for something more realistic and obtainable, but I appreciate the feedback at least.

Quick Reply: More comfortable seats for an EG Hatch?