Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Missing Dowel Pins on transmission/engine (how much damage is done?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Dowel Pins on transmission/engine (how much damage is done?)

Hey, I have a 96 civic d16y7.
I had a friend do a clutch job for me, changed (the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing)

here comes the big mess ...

A week later My throwout bearing starting making noise (high pitch screech until lightly tapping the clutch pedal) AND my tranny started leaking...

I was wondering why all my stuff was getting damaged, he told me he didn't use the Dowel Pins that mate the Engine and transmission together because they were deformed.. I did research and know that missing dowel pins = very bad.

I already gave up on this tranny since its leaking now. I bought another tranny already.

However what I am wondering now is .. how much damage do you think is done to my clutch kit/flywheel/crank/engine ?

I hear that it can damage your throwout bearing, clutch disc, presssure plate etc etc.

Do you think I can get away with just replacing the tranny and throwout bearing or how much damage do you think it done? (i only drove it about 150 miles since the repair)

thank you so much for reading ! knowledgeable feedback is much appreciated
Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Missing Dowel Pins on transmission/engine (how much damage is done?)

From this question I'm going to assume you have yet to pull the old transmission and inspect all the parts?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Missing Dowel Pins on transmission/engine (how much damage is done?)

if the noise goes away after pressing the pedal down, it's not the throwout bearing. it probably is your input shaft bearing.

you should get some dowel pins anyway.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
From this question I'm going to assume you have yet to pull the old transmission and inspect all the parts?

thats correct i haven't pulled it out yet to inspect.. yes i plan on buying dowel pins on the next tranny install. I'm just wondering how much damage do you think i suffered driving about 150 miles with misaligned tranny. I'm wondering if I need a new clutch kit ....

Originally Posted by kyden
if the noise goes away after pressing the pedal down, it's not the throwout bearing. it probably is your input shaft bearing.

you should get some dowel pins anyway.
Yeah my input shaft bearing is bad, there is the bearing noise until i FULLY depress the clutch. But there is also this high screech noise that occurred until i barely touch the clutch pedal and the sound goes away... which is what i think is the throwout bearing.

I heard a guy online say when he didn't have the dowel pins, it made his throwout bearing go out within 2 weeks.

Thank you guys for all the feedback so far.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dth0ng69
thats correct i haven't pulled it out yet to inspect.. yes i plan on buying dowel pins on the next tranny install. I'm just wondering how much damage do you think i suffered driving about 150 miles with misaligned tranny. I'm wondering if I need a new clutch kit ....

Yeah my input shaft bearing is bad, there is the bearing noise until i FULLY depress the clutch. But there is also this high screech noise that occurred until i barely touch the clutch pedal and the sound goes away... which is what i think is the throwout bearing.

I heard a guy online say when he didn't have the dowel pins, it made his throwout bearing go out within 2 weeks.

Thank you guys for all the feedback so far.
If it squeaks/chirps/screeches and you barely touch the pedal with your foot and the sounds goes away, that IS THE TOB (throw out bearing)

^ everything the op describes screams to me TOB
Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dowel pins dont really do much. Ive ran a tranny withought them and only 2 bolts back in the day its fine. But the leaking can either be the drain plug or axel seals.. From my experience. Your friend didnt know what the hell he was doing.. Dowel pins are needed but at the same time you have 5 bolts and a mount thats holding the tranny on the motor. Plus the T bracket.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
If it squeaks/chirps/screeches and you barely touch the pedal with your foot and the sounds goes away, that IS THE TOB (throw out bearing)

^ everything the op describes screams to me TOB
cool ! yeah I had a feeling its the throwout bearing. I'm wondering if there would be any other parts that can be damaged by not using dowel pins.

I'm just scared that my clutch disc/pressurePlate/flywheel components are damaged, but i only drove like 150 miles since the mis-alignment.

I guess the only way to check is take everything apart and check the inside spline of the clutch disc and springs of the clutch. i'm hoping it didn't F up the pilot bearing of the flywheel or something...

thanks sleepyaccord96
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bucket_eg
Dowel pins dont really do much. Ive ran a tranny withought them and only 2 bolts back in the day its fine. But the leaking can either be the drain plug or axel seals.. From my experience. Your friend didnt know what the hell he was doing.. Dowel pins are needed but at the same time you have 5 bolts and a mount thats holding the tranny on the motor. Plus the T bracket.
The tranny was going bad to begin with, but the leaking is not from the axle seals or the drain plug, i checked both ... Its coming from between the tranny case and the engine. right on the clutch cover, i thought it was the rear main seal at first until I seen that the oil was really clean ... so it is probably the input shaft seal.

I'm not saying dowel pins are the most important thing, but had seen post where guys talked about how their throwout bearing messed up because of these missing dowel pins. I hear that "dowel pins are the ONLY thing that initially aligns the tranny input shaft to the crank of the motor."

i'm not sure i'm not very experienced with tranny swaps, only did it once successful (with a friends help.)

bucket_eg i greatly appreciate your input ! so your saying, there is probably not too damage besides the TOB ?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

leak you describe sounds like a leaky rear main seal which should ALWAYS be replaced when a clutch is installed.

I doubt you have any "damage" from not having dowel pins

remove the transmission and install NEW dowel pins (go to honda for these)
INSTALL a new rear main seal then re install clutch/flywheel combo.

that will fix it all.