Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

MISFIRE!!!! and BLINKING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MISFIRE!!!! and BLINKING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!

Well call me the worst honda owner ever but, damn, i take care of my car. This happen driving on the freeway in Say Town yesterday, the check engine light came on and started blinking! BLINKING folks, not just lit! So upon running a diagnostics test, the results where as follows:

CODES: P1259 VTEC/OIL(maybe a little low but vtec hit fine cruising around town)
P0420 CATALYST FAILURE(disconnected cat, did not help)
P0301 MISFIRE CYLINDER#1
P0302 MISFIRE CYLINDER#2
P0300 RANDOM MISFIRE
P1399 WHICH I DO NOT KNOW

NOW, car is EM1(99 si) all stock except aem cold air intake, iridium plugs, msd wires, light weight flywheel, & racing clutch.

Car has 157000 miles on it, so im guessing the timing belt or distributor. Plugs are black with carbon but not horrible, almost regular, compression so far is 180+ accross the board, but im going to check it again tomorrow. You are suppose to disconnect the injectors right?

any info or helf would be most helpful as this is my daily driver and not looking to be forced into getting a WRX or STI as i have 4 payments left on this baby!

THanks guys and anyone local, def get at me since i am now in san antonio.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MISFIRE!!!! and BLINKING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!! (rokwilder1)

make sure your plug and plug wires are tight.. atleast you have good compression.. My ls vtec has the same blinking check engine light and is mis-firing... I too was 180 across the board, until I got the cylinder 4, it read 90
Old 05-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn man, i checked my compression twice, but ill check it again. What was the cause of cylinder #4s low compression? Blown head gasket or something worse....
Old 05-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MISFIRE!!!! and BLINKING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!! (DumpedSi)

anyone with any other info, can a timing belt slip befor breaking, or could this be due to a worn distributor?
Old 05-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: MISFIRE!!!! and BLINKING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!! (rokwilder1)

you are prolly having an ignition problem. it will cause the cel to blink while the car is misfiring. ohm out your wires, check your plug gaps, and make sure the cables are on good. also check your cap and rotor for wear.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the catalyst failure is because of the misfires. the CEL blinks because of the misfires... a misfiring cylinder can trash a catalytic converter quickly.

check and make sure your injectors are flowing correctly and i'd do a leakdown test on them to double check. they could be clogged or just dirty. and if thats the case, its not something an over-the-counter fuel treatment can fix. you need something thats more concentrated that most shops use in their machines.

you either have some hardcore carbon deposits or the cylinders that are misfiring arent receiving enough fuel, which is causing them to detonate early causing the misfire.

its not your timing belt or a "worn" distributor and i SEVERELY doubt its your plugs wires or rotor related. so just do an complete overall visual inspection first. then i'd check your fuel system. my bet is the problem is fuel related.

if you have more questions i'd be more than happy to help, but i am at work now and cant get back to you till later. good luck!

EDIT: Code P1399 is manufacturer specific and you will need a scan tool that can read Honda's codes to see what it is.

Modified by 94hatchling at 6:42 PM 5/12/2007
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright guys, ive changed the cap and rotor, now the misfire is gone. cleaned the spark plugs since they had alot of unburned fuel on them. No more misfire however power has not resumed to normal but has increased from before replacement of cap and rotor. Check engine light is still blinking even after disconnecting the battery to reset the computer.

I am now going to disconnect the cat when exhaust cools down to see if i regain the power.

Also, are there certain codes that will not be reset by disconnecting the battery? Will i need the dealership to reset them?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any ideas guys? its my only day off and i need to get to work tomorrow....