Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini-Me, head swap, Throwing Code 21, and Code 22 Need Help, Hopeless... =(

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-Me, head swap, Throwing Code 21, and Code 22 Need Help, ECU PICS!!!

Just did a recent head swap, mini-me, stock y7 block with stock y8 head w/ z6 throttle body.

So I'm driving, and this happens all the time by the way, After like a certain rpm range around 5k or higher or when I try to mash it, it'll automatically throw a code 21, or code 22, which is vtec solenoid or pressure switch. I'm running a chipped ecu, but not sure which ecu, maybe p28, or p72, or even vtec converted I really have no clue, they took the tag on the side of the ecu off so I don't know what ecu it is. At first when I start the car everything seems fine, no CEL's whatsoever, then after driving for a long while on the freeway or just pushing it's limits, CEL will come on. I checked the solenoid and it clicks and took it off and cleaned the filter and everything seems fine, I've ran the wires straight to the ECU itself. I really can't figure out what the problem is. I ran the car with a stock p28 and it just run's shitty for some reason. and it threw a CEL but I forgot what code it threw. ah This sucks. Should I just try getting a new ECU, or VTEC solenoid, or try rewiring my solenoid and pressure switch.. .. and are all single vtec solenoids interchangable or no?... Thanks Honda-Tech.

Modified by ProjectEG8 at 1:23 PM 10/28/2007
Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car is still currently running obd1 correct?

this happen to me before. on a 94 civic cx with jdm d16a motor. i found out that the connection for the vtec solenoid and pressure switch was not as secure as i thought. it would run fine until either i floor it, go fast, or at time go over a bump. i took all the wires apart solder it all together this time and made sure it will not lose connection at the ecu end. tighten everything down made sure my ecu cannot move and is securly bolt into the chassic of the car. after all this the problem finally went away. this was just my case. i hope this is your answer as well.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lv6l)

Yeah, Thanks for the tip, I'm going to redo my vtec wiring and see what come out of it. I'll post up the results. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-Me, head swap, Throwing Code 21, and Code 22 Need Help, Hopeless... =( (ProjectEG8)

Ok, I redid my vtec wiring and problem still occurs, I noticed when I just start up the car normally, I wouldn't throw and CEL's but as soon as I connect the CEL plug up It'll throw Code 21, and Code 22, Vtec solenoid and pressure switch, I took off the solenoid itself, cleaned the screen, and checked the solenoid by connecting it straight to the positive side of the battery and it clicks perfectly fine. I'm stumped, driving normally isn't a problem, no CEL's, but as soon as I push it, it come on after vtec should engage or above 5,000rpm. Don't really know where my vtec should open. I'm running a chipped ecu, guy told me it was a chipped po6, but shop told me it was indeed a vtec ecu to begin with, I can post pictures of the ECU if anybody knows how to check if an ecu is converted to vtec or is vtec. It was a reputable shop, widely known around the area, and well known for their tuning. Setup is all stock mini-me. D16y7 block with D16y8 head and intake manifold along with a D16z6 throttle body. I'm stumped and can't figure out what the problem is.. Somebody please help, will be posting up pictures as soon as I can get them. Most likely tomorrow. Thanks for putting up with all my problem Honda-Tech.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-Me, head swap, Throwing Code 21, and Code 22 Need Help, Hopeless... =( (ProjectEG8)

good luck! hope u fix this shitt haha :
Old 10-23-2007, 03:30 AM
Banned

Well, whatever ecu you have in it right is a vtec ecu, because if it wasnt it wouldnt throw a code for it. Does your vtec hit? or do you just get the code?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoffer)

Ok, So today I borrowed a p2p ecu(EX model) from a buddy of mine, and I was driving for awhile and first code that stayed on was Code 65(secondary o2), then I threw Code 22(vtec pressure switch), then one more which was Code 23(knock sensor), I going to rewire my vtec all over again with brand new wires thats coming straight outta unopened package, not worried about the secondary 02 yet, but going to use the bypass knock sensor trick and see how it works out. If anybody's tried the bypass trick let me know how it went. Hopefully it works but again is anybody driving with it permanantly?...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of those codes could already be on that ecu. I bought a chipped ecu from my friend and I have had a code 19 ever since, lol
Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShortyzKustomz)

Well, I'm in the process of re-wiring everything right now, and currently throwing on knock sensor as well. Running the p2p so it's throwing knock sensor code which is keeping me from reving past 5,500rpm. I'm using the bypass trick for now, but will be purchasing one soon. Rewiring vtec and vtec pressure switch as well. Will be taking pictures of the ecu as well. Will be posted up as soon as I'm done re-wiring.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ProjectEG8)

ah! long story short. Rewired everything. Vtec solenoid clicks. Drove car. CEL came on. Code 21. Vtec Spool Solenoid Valve. Sucks. Tried everything I can and know.

HT please help.

Below are pictures that I took of the chipped ECU I'm running. There's a burnt spot on the board itself. I was wondering if that can be the problem. I boxed the burnt area, hopefully there's some ECU heads out there that can help me with this problem. Picture orders are plug in side, then other side, than full view with the burnt area boxed. Thanks HT.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Supposedly the ecu is a chipped P06 but I'm not sure what I'm looking at so if you can help me on that as well, thanks.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-Me, head swap, Throwing Code 21, and Code 22 Need Help, ECU PICS!!! (ProjectEG8)

update.. just did some more in depth research, and figured out that it's a freakin P75 ecu, LS. I basically had stock y8 bin file on a LS board. VTEC file on a non-VTEC ecu. Chipped, but not converted. This sucks. Burt part is probably speed governer disable or burned off. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure. This blows. Does anybody know if your able to convert p75's to vtec?... Highly doubt it, but maybe someone out there done it?..