Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Metal Flexing sometimes clicking sound after dropping my EK...help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Flexing sometimes clicking sound after dropping my EK...help

Whats up guys. I need some assurance perhaps.
I had my 99 Ek dropped with GC coilovers. KYB GR2 shocks and Skunk2 front control arms. ( I also did the alignment...or had some1 do it fixed camber etc.)
Now my Ek makes a kindof squeaking sound usually when I do sharp turns....like coming out of a driveway or sumting...and sometimes a slight click...and it sounds like its from the R side only

Is it normal? and how long will it last if it is?
Might it need a new boot?
Has anyone had a similar prob or know what it might be? Is their something I didnt put in that you should when upgrading suspension.

[ stock AT tranny no other mods, 16" rims ]

As you can tell Im not savy on suspesions...I am having someone check it out soon, but I thought I get some input from u guys as well.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Metal Flexing sometimes clicking sound after dropping my EK...help (NY_2_OC)

When you say the Skunk2 front control arms, are you talking about the upper control arms? You might have swapped left and right, I did that accidentally and I hear a click/pop every now and then but only on the left side. On my car I am pretty sure something is hitting the spring somehow, I gotta tear it all apart in the next few weeks to sort all the problems out.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Metal Flexing sometimes clicking sound after dropping my EK...help (redman223)

yeah the upper Control Arms...that look like horse shoes

And I had them put in by someone thats does suspensions....I didnt even know Their was a left and right...at first glance it seems the same, but Unless its has a big "L" and "R" on it, I personally have no way of know, but I will mention that to the suspension guy...thanks for that bit of info.

Any1 else with similar prob or suggestions?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Metal Flexing sometimes clicking sound after dropping my EK...help (NY_2_OC)

Yeah I thought the same thing, but on the ones I had there was a big L and R on them and somehow I still missed it when installing them .
Old 07-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Metal Flexing sometimes clicking sound after dropping my EK...help (redman223)

Oh..I will check..Dunno if the Skunk2's have em.

I will be painting some Acura rims to throw on their mayB Saturday and since I'll be taking the tires off to check fit etc before I paint..I will look then.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:41 PM

yes there are marks on the top on the red arms.. has some numbers pressed in and at the end it says R or L.
as to the sound. make sure you have the right camber arms on the right side and then TAKE THE CAR FOR A REAL ALIGNMENT!!!!!!
dont gimp out and try to do it yourself you will not have it set right and within a few weeks or a month your tires will be worn out bad on one side.

anyone thats lowered there car and DIDNT get a alignment will tell you YOUR TIRES WILL WEAR OUT FAST!
plus you might have a bad tie rod or ball joint...
the alignment shop can also tell ya if they need to be repaired or not.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Metal Flexing sometimes clicking sound after dropping my EK...help (addiction2bass)

When I got my car aligned last year they had no clue as to why the caster was off 5 degrees on the left and 3 on the right. After some searching on this board, I found out that you can get about 3 degrees positive caster by switching the left and right upper arms...the other 2 degrees is probably from a bent lca. I have another, now I just gotta swap it out.

Hopefully, you just swapped them on accident and that noise is not something more drastic.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

THe Alingnment was a good one. I got the print out afterwards and check the numbers. So I know thats good...but I will double check L & R makes sure they are on right. Thanks for every1s input.

Very Appreciate fellas
Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If everything was find on the alignment then you probably didn't switch them, my caster was off pretty bad when I swapped mine on accident.