Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

master & slave cylinder. can't shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default master & slave cylinder. can't shift

motor : b18c1

About a week ago I was reversing out of my friends driveway and i put the clutch in to shift into first and it locked me out the gears. I still had pressure in the pedal but felt a little bit different.
when I would try and to stick it into any gears it makes a small humming sound and if i were to stick it into reverse it makes a grinding sound. When the car is off i can move it into gears freely. once the engine is turned on, its locked again. so we opened her up and notice the slave cylinder was leaking and the boot had a hole in it.

I went and picked up a new one and strapped her on and bled the clutch and no more air in the line. the pedal felt a little stiffer so we fire it up and to no result, still locked out. I go under my steering column and look at the master from that side and it was leaking. not a ton but enough to notice.

the brake fluid looked really filthy so we flushed it out so it was just the clean new stuff.

this has really been making me irritated haha.
should I replace the master?

any ideas?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sounds like your synchros or possibly throwout bearing
Old 11-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpp
Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hookedonponics)

I have a similar problem but i only notice mine locking me out of gear when it's cold outside like near 0*C I'm thinking it's a combo of the crappy reman pressure plate that was all i could afford at the time, especially while replacing both master and slave cyls.

For you, I'm curious how you bled the brakes, make sure you are getting that bleeder screw all the way closed before lifting the pedal back up!

Also don't mess with the cheap reman cylinders if you can avoid it! They're crap in my experience, ya they're only 20bux but it took me 4 tries before i got a decent slave cyl. honda cylinders FTW.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: master & slave cylinder. can't shift (hookedonponics)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hookedonponics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I went and picked up a new one and strapped her on and bled the clutch and no more air in the line. the pedal felt a little stiffer so we fire it up and to no result, still locked out. I go under my steering column and look at the master from that side and it was leaking. not a ton but enough to notice.

the brake fluid looked really filthy so we flushed it out so it was just the clean new stuff.

this has really been making me irritated haha.
should I replace the master?

any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is probably a dumb question because im sure you are talking about the clutch master cylinder... or are you reffering to the brake master cylinder? If the clutch master cylinder is leaking, replace it. It is possible there is air still in your clutch lines, so you'll have to bleed them for a good amount of time. If the clutch master cylinder is leaking, it most likley has air in it. The only way to fix the leak, if possible on the old master cylinder, is to take it out. If you get a new master cylinder will need to be bench bleed it before you put it on.

Also, re adjust the clutch pedal itself, and did you grease the new slave cylinder or did it come already greased? Another thing to check for is your throw out bearing. You can either drop the transmission to do this, as well as you will have to do this if it needs to be replaced. Or, try and move the throwout release fork, it should move back and fourth as if the clave cylinder were to push it. If it doesnt move, it's the throw out bearing. While your at that, it wouldn't hurt to once over the shift linkage as well.

This is alot, but I hope it helps.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the clutch master. If that doesnt work then you need to replace the clutch.