Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Maryland Emissions Test- CANT PASS!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maryland Emissions Test- CANT PASS!!

Hey guys, I have a 1998 Honda civic. The motor that runs the car is a 94 OBD-1 JDM B16. As you guys know the 98 civic is a OBD-2 and the motor would be a OBD1. Well i failed because the testing cannot read the OBD2 computer. Anyone know of any ways I can get around this? I was told to Lower the car or make it so my car cannot get over rollers (even people from emissions testing has said this to me) but I called the MVA today and they said that it would have no effect on me because they do not have to put my car over the rollers.

Last time when I had it tested it went over the rollers and i probably scraped my exhaust.

A friend of mine who used to work at a testing place said to put like a lip, or steel plate on the car so it hits. but he never said anything about the OBD problems, as i never thought about it then.

any help or suggestions?! thanks..
Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maryland Emissions Test- CANT PASS!!

bump
Old 08-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 08-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

you're hitting the major problem with converting an OBD2 car to OBD1, OBD2 communications tools no longer work.
To pass emissions you'll need an OBD2 ECU in the car with no codes.

the ECU you're looking for is either:
96-97 DelSol P30-A01 or P30-A02
OR
OBD2a to OBD2b harness and a 99-00 SI P2T-A11 or P2T-A12

you'll have to do some bypassing and tricking to get the CELs down to zero.
Hopefully you left the EVAP system alone when you did the swap... that's the only part of the system that's a serious PITA to get around.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so with the obd2a harness.. well see right now i believe i have the jumper harness from obd2 to obd1. the guy i bought it from did this swap, i dont know why but he had it passed, hes calling me tommorow. with the obd2a harness will the car still run? and whats the A02 ecu from? another delsol?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Relic1 is on point but for the record, lowering the car does the job. I haven't gotten emissions once since I did and my CEL has been on for almost three years (O2S). I just get a waiver every two years and it's more fun on windy roads. Not bad for a total investment of $40. that's right $40.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was going to drop the car.. but one lady over the phone said that they just scan for obd. a buddy of mine that used to work there said if any part of the car touched the rollers, then they have to pass me. this what you mean?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

edit. my car is lowered, only on stechs though. i was going to throw 200 lbs or so of bricks in my trunk or something.. the car already scrapes ****
Old 08-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vlc92189
edit. my car is lowered, only on stechs though. i was going to throw 200 lbs or so of bricks in my trunk or something.. the car already scrapes ****
You should already be fine with the S-Techs. 5 years ago when I had them I got a waiver. Just come up to Westminster and get it done there. They'll check your ride height compared to the rollers and give you a waiver on the spot.

Or invest in a better suspension and lower it more. I haven't paid for or had to take an emissions test ever in my car.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what year was your car though?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like the laws in MD are similar to AZ and some other states. Since your Civic is above '96, they will hook up your car to an OBD scan tool to check for CELs. They do not run your car over the rollers because the assumption is that as long as all your emissions equipment is functioning as designed (i.e. no CELs) you are within specifications and there is no need for a sniffer test. Any civic '95 and below requires a sniffer test. Usually the computer at the emissions testing center knows which cars require the scanner test and which ones require a sniffer test.

You are failing the scan test. Like Relic1 suggested, you need to get an OBD2A or OBD2B ecu. If you get an OBD2A ecu, you will not need a jumper harness because your harness is already OBD2A. If you get an OBD2B ecu, you will need a jumper harness.

I have had this exact same issue with emissions testing in AZ. I drive a '99 Honda Civic with a B18C1 swap. The motor is OBD1 and I am running an OBD1 computer with a jumper harness on the daily. Every 3 years I'm required to get tested for emissions. What I do is switch out my ecu with a OBD2A GS-R ecu and jumper harness. I drive around for about a week before I get tested. Then I take it in and have them plug it up to their scan tool. I don't have any CELs because I run all my stock emissions equipment. As long as their scanner doesn't see CELs, then I pass.

I think the 'whole lower it until it scrapes' idea is a moot point because your car is not a car that will be tested that way. They'll always use the scan tool.

Long story short, get an OBD2A B16 ecu, like Relic1 has suggested. Make sure you have all your stock emissions equipment, like your EVAP canister, EVAP purge solenoid, and then bypass your CKF sensor:

http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=309

If there are any other CELs, let us know so we can help you.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the logic is that even though obd2 cars arent tested on the dynamometers, you still have to drive over them to get out of the facility so you can get a waiver for ride height. ex: my friend got a waiver for his stock 2002 corvette, they dont even let you enter the facility

i went this weekend and before the tech even looked at my paperwork or took any of the information from the car, they gave me a waiver for being too low.

bad news is that starting 8/1/09 they will be removing the dynamometers eliminating the waiver for being too low. good news, obd1 vehicles only get idle tested once the rollers are gone
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
i think the logic is that even though obd2 cars arent tested on the dynamometers, you still have to drive over them to get out of the facility so you can get a waiver for ride height. ex: my friend got a waiver for his stock 2002 corvette, they dont even let you enter the facility

i went this weekend and before the tech even looked at my paperwork or took any of the information from the car, they gave me a waiver for being too low.

bad news is that starting 8/1/09 they will be removing the dynamometers eliminating the waiver for being too low. good news, obd1 vehicles only get idle tested once the rollers are gone
OIC. That makes sense why'd you'd suggest that now. But even if he got a waiver, that would only temporarily solve his problem for a couple of years. And if they eliminate the rollers, like you said, then he'd have this problem in the future for sure. Me being me, I'd fix the problem now instead of putting a temporary bandage over it. But, to each their own...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18CivicEJ8
OIC. That makes sense why'd you'd suggest that now. But even if he got a waiver, that would only temporarily solve his problem for a couple of years. And if they eliminate the rollers, like you said, then he'd have this problem in the future for sure. Me being me, I'd fix the problem now instead of putting a temporary bandage over it. But, to each their own...
A lot of people do band aids for emissions... I used to just run my stock ECU for emissions and ran my p28 the rest of the time on my EM1... Then I moved to a county in MD that didn't have emissions, that was where it was at...
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as im so tempted to just try it, i been getting extensions for awhile now.

i talked to the previous owner, he said to get a stock cat from a 96-98 ex, hook the o2 sensor up ( which is inside my car) get a obd2 computer from GSR or EM1 and plug it in.

right now i have a obd1 with a sk2 obd1 harness conversion.

i dont even think ill keep the car much longer, but i need it passed so this whole getting the wavier would be perfect im just trying to see if my car would get the wavier because of the obd2 scanner.

anyone know for sure about the obd2 cars and waviers?

and thanks for all the help so far guys i appreciate it
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as stated above, a good friend got a waiver on an 02 vette (obd2 car), its worth a shot. worse case you add the proper equipment if you fail.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I know of many OBD2 cars that have gotten waivers because they were too low to even get into the building...
Old 08-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...s/ecu-sim.html

OBD2 simulator.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a 98. OBD2A.

I've never had them scan my car prior to getting a waiver. They see its too low and tell me to turn my car around and go inside to get the waiver. They don't even look to see if I have any CEL's.

As far as the rollers go. I doubt the Westminster emissions station will be getting rid of them. The facility is only a few years old, and I doubt they're going to go through all that work to tear it up just because of a few waivers that get through. I could be wrong though. Our state does tend to waste money on some rediculous stuff.

To the op. Just get it done in the next 3 weeks and you'll be good.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmztrane

As far as the rollers go. I doubt the Westminster emissions station will be getting rid of them. The facility is only a few years old, and I doubt they're going to go through all that work to tear it up just because of a few waivers that get through. I could be wrong though. Our state does tend to waste money on some rediculous stuff.
They are discontinuing the rollers due to only about 15% of cars needing dyno testing, not due to cars being too low. whether they actually remove them or not, im not sure. The guy in Annapolis said they will be gone by the time im eligible again in 2011. Either way Im clear for 2 years so Im happy.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the westminster location is getting rid of the rollers, my buddy just got hired there and that makes sense, that building is relatively new but they're going under a new contract with maryland, so I wpould assume they're yanking the rollers out also, I'd lower your car more n take it there asap!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 02blackcivic
Yes, the westminster location is getting rid of the rollers, my buddy just got hired there and that makes sense, that building is relatively new but they're going under a new contract with maryland, so I wpould assume they're yanking the rollers out also, I'd lower your car more n take it there asap!
Edit: I'm not sure exactly when the rollers are coming out but he said they are.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

threw some bricks in the trunk and got a wavier.. but only for a year. idk why, but i tlaked to the previous owner and he told me how to get it to pass so if i dont feel like going through all the shizz and spending the money i might just get a new car