Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Making my horn work with out the SRS harness is making me feel retarded...???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my horn work with out the SRS harness is making me feel retarded...???

After about 4-5 years today I finally figured I would give making my horn work via the horn button a try. I have read the FAQ threads and many others today after it not working out like I thought...some examples:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-how-wire-up-your-horn-aftermarket-wheel-eg-1485735/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/6th-gen-civic-quick-dirty-horn-fix-nrg-combo-3067289/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-hook-up-horn-without-srs-eg-hatch-backback-whats-needed-1904318/

I am starting to wonder if my set up is the issue. I have a MOMO hub with the OG NRG quick release that rotates, matched with a Personal steering wheel.
All the write ups have an NRG hub with the quick release...both have two wires, where the MOMO has only one. (although one attempt I did add a ground inside the hub and hooked it up that way...still no success).

Not sure where I have gone wrong. Found the horn relay, and located my hot wires...both which were not the blue or the blue red (these are actually the ground).
Using the plug I can hook the horn button up using the hot and ground wires to make the horn work. However if I hook the hot wire up to my bracket that touches the back of the hub and get continuity all the way through as soon as I push the horn button it blows a fuse because it isn't grounding to the plug but creating a dead short to the hot wire I hooked up.

With that being said when I plug into just the blue red wire...which is a ground...there is no power to the horn button...which is obviously won't work either.

Tried leaving the relay in also, but as soon as I touch my bracket it shorts and blows a fuse.

Any insight on what I am missing is greatly appreciated...for something I have seen the rest of the Honda world conquer I can't believe it kicked my *** today :facepalm:

Many thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making my horn work with out the SRS harness is making me feel retarded...???

Horn relay

White/green is power

Black is ground

Blue/red is out to horn

Blue/green is ground trigger.

Can you post pics of your steering wheel/horn button? Wanting to see what you have and or what is missing.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making my horn work with out the SRS harness is making me feel retarded...???

Originally Posted by n/a2boost
Horn relay

White/green is power

Black is ground

Blue/red is out to horn

Blue/green is ground trigger.

Can you post pics of your steering wheel/horn button? Wanting to see what you have and or what is missing.
I can agree with the above...that is pretty much what I came up with today and was going with.

As for the Horn button...I have two I have been playing with...I can get pics tomorrow, but verbally one button was a MOMO I was used to test my ideas and the Personal horn button only has a positive lead and uses a lock ring that fits into the back piece for a ground. Like this one borrowed from the web:

Thank you for your time...
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a wires in the hub? Like the pics below?

Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used this write up
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/write-up-how-wire-up-horn-non-srs-eg-civic-1926111/
Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope that is what has been driving me nuts today. When I bought these items eons ago I was talked into a MOMO hub to go with the NRG quick release.
I am beginning to think I need the NRG hub to go with the NRG quick release.
The MOMO has the hot wire only, so I attempted to make a ground wire inside the hub...connecting to the column, but that only created a direct short.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jahong16
Thank you...I looked at that one as well and have a link up above that goes to another write up of his with those pics in a link...I keep thinking this is simple, but can't seem to figure out what I am over looking :-/
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you only have this wire(pic below)? That's link above is what you need to do except the wire comming from the back of the hub needs to be tapped into the blue/green wire of the horn relay. Then you need to take a piece of wire and ground it to the metal inside of the horn button then the other end connects to the horn button itself.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you only have this wire(pic below)? That's link above is what you need to do except the wire comming from the back of the hub needs to be tapped into the blue/green wire of the horn relay. Then you need to take a piece of wire and ground it to the metal inside of the horn button then the other end connects to the horn button itself.

Pretty much everything but that male spade near the top...my hub is missing that gem :-/
I can rig something up tomorrow though and see if a ground sandwiched between the steering wheel and the hub makes a difference. I will try the blue/green with that ground and update this tomorrow. Thank you again...be well.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Watched this one and about 5 others today...all use the NRG hub and quick release...after watching it again I am just shaking my head. I should have a working horn by now

Here is my bracket for reference
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just watched it again and he even said blue/red...??? How does blue/red spliced to another wire up to the back of the hub power the horn...??? Maybe this is were I have gone wrong...
Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by infulleffect
Just watched it again and he even said blue/red...??? How does blue/red spliced to another wire up to the back of the hub power the horn...??? Maybe this is were I have gone wrong...
The blue/red wire is ground to the horn. By splicing into it your bypassing the relay. That why I said to tap into the blue/green wire so your still using the relay.

You need that metal piece that he used to make it work. What I used was a piece is 12 gauge solid cooper wire and wrapped it around a screw and left enough so it touched the back of the hub,then used a button connector on the other end of the cooper wire and ran a wire to the blue/green wire of the relay. Then you just have to connect the horn button,one wire from the hub to horn button and the other from horn button to ground metal under the horn button.

This wire should be tapped into the blue/green wire at the horn relay. Once tapped and hub on the colum touch the wire comming from the hub to the shaft of the steering wheel the horn should sound.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Observe.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3067289
Old 05-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Thank you grumblemarc...I did read through your thread previously...your hub has a ground in the center...mine doesn't have a ground on the hub :-/ I am wondering if that is my problem.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Then it should be self-grounding.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The blue/red wire is ground to the horn. By splicing into it your bypassing the relay. That why I said to tap into the blue/green wire so your still using the relay.

You need that metal piece that he used to make it work. What I used was a piece is 12 gauge solid cooper wire and wrapped it around a screw and left enough so it touched the back of the hub,then used a button connector on the other end of the cooper wire and ran a wire to the blue/green wire of the relay. Then you just have to connect the horn button,one wire from the hub to horn button and the other from horn button to ground metal under the horn button.

This wire should be tapped into the blue/green wire at the horn relay. Once tapped and hub on the colum touch the wire comming from the hub to the shaft of the steering wheel the horn should sound.

Thank you n/a2boost for your continued dedication to this...I have checked my piece of metal and it has continuity all the way through the hub to the single black wire in the MOMO hub...so I know it is touching.
Today I attempted the using the blue/green wire while having the relay plugged in. I didn't officially cut and splice the wire...I shoved the wire into the back of the plug and made contact...then ran my added wire (which is white in the photo) up to my bracket. Still no horn... :-/ I wonder if my relay is bad or that my MOMO hub not having a ground wire in it could be the problem...???

Here is my stumbling block...to make the horn work it needs a hot (power) source that then gets grounded (by the button or just jumping it)...with tapping into the relay am I using the already existing live wire there?

Many thanks...I will look for another relay as well and try that too...
Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Then it should be self-grounding.
I guess that can be true...however when I have power to the horn through via the bracket touching the back of the hub and up to the horn button...as soon as I ground the horn or try and use the button it blows the fuse...however if I jump the horn at the relay plug...it works flawlessly... :banginghead: :-/

Thank you
Old 05-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To test the horn relay check to make sure you have 12 volts going to the whalite/green white at the relay. If you do have 12 volts to the white/green wire the ground the blue/green wire to the chassis, you should hear the relay click and or horn sound.

Power only goes to the horn relay and horn itself. The rest of it is ground.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To test the horn relay check to make sure you have 12 volts going to the whalite/green white at the relay. If you do have 12 volts to the white/green wire the ground the blue/green wire to the chassis, you should hear the relay click and or horn sound.

Power only goes to the horn relay and horn itself. The rest of it is ground.
Good call...I have been testing the horn with the plug unplugged...never thought of testing the relay... I will be off line tomorrow, but Friday I should have a response. As always...thank you
Old 05-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Again stepping away and getting some fresh insight pays off...turns out all the head banging and double checking and aggravation could of been avoided if I didn't keep telling myself the relay was fine
Tested my relay today and it didn't work...grabbed a spare, and added a ground to my MOMO hub...and I have a horn.

Thanks for all the assistance here...glad it was something simple.

Cheers
Old 05-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Wow, dead horn relay? Honestly ... that is the first time I've heard of this. I thought those things were pretty bulletproof. But, glad you got it sorted, OP!