Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

major oil leak! help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major oil leak! help!

Okay I have a d16y8 96 civi I replaced head gasket got it running well (aside from oil in the #4 chamber) noticed a lot of oil running down passenger side streaming (and i mean streaming) off of the exhaust pipe. It only leaks when running equivalent to about a quart every couple of minutes. vc gasket got replaced no cel on. I replaced pcv valve as well. It does not appear to be coming from the oil filter and looks to be above the oil pan. No oil is coming from under the dizzy that i can tell and I'm losing a lot so I would think it would be noticeable. Vtec solenoid valve was replaced about 2 years ago I don't that would be it but I could be wrong. I saw that on h series motors there is an o-ring behind the stud that holds the oil filter on but I'm not sure I really need some help on this please rent hasn't been paid in a month and I need to get back to work.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: major oil leak! help!

Honestly, if its leaking that much oil and you can't find the source then you need glasses or a mechanic.

My best guess you double gasketed the oil filter
Get under that thing and look.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In order for this much oil to be leaking its gonna be noticeable. Get under the car and tell us the general area its coming from.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:52 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasinh
vc gasket got replaced no cel on.
Seems like checking out a VC gasket that was just replaced might be a good place to start.

It will also help all of us help you if you post pictures. Clear, focused, relevant pictures.

I'll beat RonJ to the punch; How do you know the cel isn't on? Does the cel work?

eH.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:18 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

And you haven't figured this out in over a month? WTF? Clean the area thoroughly so that next time you can get under the car and see where it's "streaming" from.

BTW, I don't think you'll have a job much longer if you still do. Carpool.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:50 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the car on jack stands, start it up, and get under there. Don't be afraid of a little oil dripping on you. Find the leak. There aren't many places it can leak from. It's either the oil filter itself, the oil pressure sensor, or the valve cover.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Put the car on jack stands, start it up, and get under there. Don't be afraid of a little oil dripping on you. Find the leak. There aren't many places it can leak from. It's either the oil filter itself, the oil pressure sensor, or the valve cover.
I concur with this.

Just checking the 96-00 manual and the D16Y8 doesn't have an oil warmer so the only gasket for the oil filter is on the oil filter itself. A double gasket would "stream" oil.

I've never seen how much oil can pump through the pressure sending unit if it somehow wasn't sealed but maybe it can pump out a fair amount of oil too.

I would suspect these two before the valve cover. You can easily see the valve cover from above if it was gushing when running.

However these would be the backside of the motor, not passenger side. You said passenger side so I would be thinking distributor or vtec most likely. Can't think of anything else on the passenger side for oil off the top of my head besides rear main. If the rear main is gushing yer in for a lot of work being the tranny has to be pulled to get to it.

If it's gushing like you say, you should be able to find it in under two minutes with it running.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tomcat has a great point. I've had an oil pressure sender snap off because as many of us know the plastic becomes brittle. It leaks a substantial amount of oil equivalent to what you are referring to. In case you don't know, on your motor its directly above the oil filter and has a rubber boot on it. I guarantee you its that or the oil filter for sure so check them but if its on the side you have the rear main which you would not be able to see the direct source but it will be leaking between the motor and trans. If its above running down the trans, you've got to be able to clearly see it.