Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help!

Well heres the problem the lugnut is stuck with the wheel stud and both are spinning freely. this is with the wheel on it. I tried using an inpact gun. But it didn't work. I was thinking about heating up the lugnut till it turns red hot and then snapping it off. i want to know if anyone has any other ideas before i do it?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help! (2.2L EH2)

hammer the back of the stud to make sure it def in all the way and tight, and then spray down the lug and threads so this is minimal resistence and try to losen it.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help! (lessDXHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lessDXHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hammer the back of the stud to make sure it def in all the way and tight, and then spray down the lug and threads so this is minimal resistence and try to losen it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

cant do that with the wheel still on the car...... ans cant spray down the threads either....you might have to do what you have planned then just get a new wheel stud and nut
Old 08-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help! (JDM_sedan)

take a breaker bar and a socket for the lug. turn the breaker bar so it's straight out and locked so if you move it up and down it stays straight instead of trying to loosen it. then start pulling up and pushing down very hard. a few times and it should snap the stud in half then you can remove it.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help! (JDM_sedan)

why cant you spray the threads or tap the stud into place?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help! (FMIDRC Racer)

edit: didnt read that right, sorry.

but idk, thats pretty hard to do if possible at all.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i had to rip the axle apart and take the front assembly off, Got it welded to the rotor then snapped the lug nut off then got a new front assembly. cost me about 200$
Old 08-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bring it to a body shop and let them do it.

also dont cut the rim off like some guy on here. (cheetah thread)
Old 08-22-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help! (=Gameover=)

waist of mony going to a body shop or having anyone else do it, they are going to do that same **** you would do. I used to work at just tires. Does smashing the **** out of the back of your rim sound good for about 200 bucks?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lessDXHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">waist of mony going to a body shop or having anyone else do it, they are going to do that same **** you would do. I used to work at just tires. Does smashing the **** out of the back of your rim sound good for about 200 bucks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats true. i guess taking it to a shop is not a good idea. there's gotta be another way to do it other then doing these crazy stuff that people be doing. that was in the same situation im in right now.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by =Gameover= &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bring it to a body shop and let them do it.

also dont cut the rim off like some guy on here. (cheetah thread) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh good, i thought you were talking about me .

Same thing happend to me, i tried to take the lug off one day and it was hard. So i set the wrench so it was straight and jumped on it. It broke loose, but like you said, the lug nut and lug bolt were freely spinning inside. I think it's because the splines holding the lug bolt in go stripped.

Some ppl suggested torching it, freezing, and all sorts of crazy stuff, but every method involved damaging my rim in some sort of way.

But yes, i had to cut my rim off (OZ superleggera)...$200 down the drain

James
Old 08-23-2005, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help! (Jedi_Sol)

ok i thought of another idea. you will another person to help you with this. but gyeah how about using a vice grip to hold the lugnut in place and then dremeling the top of the lugnut till you can see the stud. but make sure the top of the lugnut is still kind of flat. then use a drill bit thats almost as big as the wheel stud and then drill that sucker out till its good enough to where the lug nut will come right off. what do you guys think?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the dremel or angle grinder approach. Angle grinders are cheap and are really fast for these kind of metal cutting jobs. Just cut the lug nut off the stud slowly and carefully.

I always put anti-seeze compound on every non-motor bolt including the tire lug studs before re-assembly. Removing the bolts next time is easy.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by =Gameover= &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bring it to a body shop and let them do it.

also dont cut the rim off like some guy on here. (cheetah thread) </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had to destroy a wheel like that too. My lug broke in half so the key wouldn't fit it anymore. I then tried to break the stud in half (as mentioned above) and broke the stud right after the lug, leaving the wheel stuck on and less stud sticking out. I then took it to 3 diff shops, none of which could guarantee my wheel would be ok. One shop wanted to charge me $250 to break my wheel. I went home, broke my wheel for free. cut the stud in half, replaced it and bought a new wheel. Total cost for me was $150 (gotta love cheap rotas).
Old 08-23-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey this exact thing happend to me before. your best bet is to just take it to a shop or somewhere that has a high temp torch, and just have them torch your lugs off, it only cost me about 7 bucks and didnt hurt my rim at all,so if anyone says it will theyre dead wrong, because i've already been through this. the only thing the torch is gonna do is burn the lug off of the stud, which doesnt even touch your rim. i made the mistake of trying to get it off myself using every tool you could possibly think of, just like everyone is telling you above. and in the end this took about two minutes. after that just replace all of your studs front and rear. good luck trust me this is the best way if you want to keep your rim, without damaging it.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:44 AM

Same thing happeened to me last winter. Get an angle grinder and a cut off wheel. Be sure not to cut the rim. Easy as that. Every shop I took it to around here said they were going to do the samething and charge me for it. Just do it yourself.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man you guys are crazy doing all this stuff. i am a Chrysler tech and i have this prolem all the time. just take a 1/2" breaker bar and the socket. move it up and down a few times and it will snap the stud in half. then all you have to do is replace the stud and nut. it's very easy and only take a few min to do. doesn't hurt the rim etc.

oh yeah, when i put the stud in i had it spot welded so it wouldn't happen again. that was on my car. i just sell the customers new hubs if they need them.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FMIDRC Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FMIDRC Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man you guys are crazy doing all this stuff. i am a Chrysler tech and i have this prolem all the time. just take a 1/2" breaker bar and the socket. move it up and down a few times and it will snap the stud in half. then all you have to do is replace the stud and nut. it's very easy and only take a few min to do. doesn't hurt the rim etc.

oh yeah, when i put the stud in i had it spot welded so it wouldn't happen again. that was on my car. i just sell the customers new hubs if they need them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's how I do it, don't get too complicated fellas. It's an easy fix.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Similar thing happened to me a while ago. I had an old car I bought with lock nuts on it and I didn't get the key with the car, so I took it to a mechanic I used to work for and he just torched the lug and it came right off. It didn't hurt the rims at all, but, then again, I didn't care cause they were pieces of crap.

I don't see why the same thing wouldn't apply here.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DICY)

cause it's not that the lug nut is stuck on it's that the stud has come loose from the hub so the stud and lug nut turn at the same time.

btw you can buy these easy off sockets at sears for like $20. hammer one on and hit it with a impact gun and the wheel lock comes right off. pretty funny a machanic didn't do that before he started torching ****.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by =Gameover= &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also dont cut the rim off like some guy on here. (cheetah thread) </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha
Old 08-28-2005, 07:30 PM

Actually we tried one of those and it didn't work. Not sure why, didn't really make a difference to me.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help! (sivik2nr)

just eat a powerbar and drink a beer for confidence and do the breaker bar idea to snap the stud, i snapped a stud on my car when the threads were stripped to where it would just tighten then loosen but never come off, and im a 172 pound 6'2" guy, not hard to do at all.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.2L EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i thought of another idea. you will another person to help you with this. but gyeah how about using a vice grip to hold the lugnut in place and then dremeling the top of the lugnut till you can see the stud. but make sure the top of the lugnut is still kind of flat. then use a drill bit thats almost as big as the wheel stud and then drill that sucker out till its good enough to where the lug nut will come right off. what do you guys think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok i fixed the problem. i did what i said i'll do.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:40 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Lugnut stuck with the wheel stud. . . help!

1st thing you will need to replace all of them What I did was take off all the lug nuts and then drive it slow unit the stud snapped