Default LSD???

what is LSD ??
what does it do??
is it for the transmission??
Old 07-28-2002, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: LSD??? (watacivic)

lysergic acid diethylamide it's a halucinagen and if you ask me it's ******* GREAT.

No seriously it stands for Limited Slip Differential.

limited slip means just what it says it stops the tires from slipping (spinning) by transfering power from the wheels that slip...to the wheels that grip (sound familiar).
differential refers a mechanical gear set up which distributes power from a single source (your crank/final drive) to two different output shafts (your axles).

Yes it's part of the transmission

some names to dream about are:
KAAZ
Quaife
JDM Type R
and a name that i know of that you CAN afford is
Phantom Grip

The reason the first one's cost 1000's is cuz they're a full LSD

the reason the phantom grip unit is soo cheap (250-300) is cuz it modifies the stock differential to the limited slip variety.
I have not used the phantom grip or been in a car that does but the testimonial's and endorcements are everywhere from those who have (used them).
Old 07-28-2002, 07:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: LSD??? (NonovUrbizniz)

You forgot these:

USDM Type R
Cusco
ATS CArbon Clutch

And I'm sure there are more too.

About the Phantom Grip:

They are pretty shitty if you ask me. Most of the people I know that have ran them have ended up trashing their differentials because the Phantom Grip is just spring loaded metal plates that push out against the spider gears in a stock differential, so they eventually will wear or simply break the spider gears.

Save your miney and do it right the first time and get something like a Quaife or a stock Acura or JDM Honda LSD from a Type R os the elusive SiR in Japan.

My stock LSD might have broken recently (or it's the final gear ring/pinion that broke) and I have been pricing the various units and I will get a QUAIFE as soon as I know for sure that my diff broke.

Quaife offers a lifetime warranty so if it EVER breaks then they will send you brand new one for FREE.

Oh and the guy above described the LSD pretty good actually.

All I'll add is this:

I drive 2 cars regularly. Both are 1992 Civic hatches, and one is a CX while the other is an Si. The Si is my fiancee's and it has a B16A2 swap with the open (non-LSD) tranny that came in the 1999-2000 Civic Si. My CX has a USDM Type R tranny that came with an LSD.

When taking the same turn in both cars the CX with LSD handles much better and you can stomp the throttle just before the 1/2 way point in the turn and the car pulls hard out of the corner.

Take the same turn in the Si w/o LSD and if you try to stomp the throttle in mid-turn the inside wheel begins to spin and you loose traction, and then you UNDERSTEER and that's no fun. This is when the front end wants to go straight even though you're turing the wheel.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 11:51 AM 7/28/2002]
Old 07-28-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LSD??? (Rudy)

One thing that I've always wondered was...

How the heck do you pronounce "Quaife?"
Old 07-28-2002, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: LSD??? (dom93hatch)

quaife is pronounced... ik· spen'siv adj. entailing great expense; very high priced; costly: an expensive part.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD??? (B18C5-EH2)

You forgot these:

USDM Type R
Cusco
ATS CArbon Clutch

And I'm sure there are more too.

About the Phantom Grip:

They are pretty shitty if you ask me. Most of the people I know that have ran them have ended up trashing their differentials because the Phantom Grip is just spring loaded metal plates that push out against the spider gears in a stock differential, so they eventually will wear or simply break the spider gears.

Save your miney and do it right the first time and get something like a Quaife or a stock Acura or JDM Honda LSD from a Type R os the elusive SiR in Japan.

My stock LSD might have broken recently (or it's the final gear ring/pinion that broke) and I have been pricing the various units and I will get a QUAIFE as soon as I know for sure that my diff broke.

Quaife offers a lifetime warranty so if it EVER breaks then they will send you brand new one for FREE.

Oh and the guy above described the LSD pretty good actually.

All I'll add is this:

I drive 2 cars regularly. Both are 1992 Civic hatches, and one is a CX while the other is an Si. The Si is my fiancee's and it has a B16A2 swap with the open (non-LSD) tranny that came in the 1999-2000 Civic Si. My CX has a USDM Type R tranny that came with an LSD.

When taking the same turn in both cars the CX with LSD handles much better and you can stomp the throttle just before the 1/2 way point in the turn and the car pulls hard out of the corner.

Take the same turn in the Si w/o LSD and if you try to stomp the throttle in mid-turn the inside wheel begins to spin and you loose traction, and then you UNDERSTEER and that's no fun. This is when the front end wants to go straight even though you're turing the wheel.
I have a few B LSD's lying around if you need one... ya gotta get me Sevendust autographs tho!!
Old 07-28-2002, 02:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: LSD??? (Blazin Si)

quaife is pronounced... ik· spen'siv adj. entailing great expense; very high priced; costly: an expensive part.
Funny you say that, because I can get a brand new Quiafe for LESS then a brand new Type R diff from the Acura dealership.

Old 07-28-2002, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

i actually never priced a quiafe. i know a JDM B18C w/o an LSD costs about a grand less than one with an LSD and quiafe's are just as good if not better... probably cost more... i'm a lazy ***... i don't know what i'm talking about... i'm gonna shup up now before i spread anymore misinformation.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the quaife hard to maintain I heard one of the lsd's on the market is a pain in the *** because you have to constantly change the tranny fluid or it will get messed up???? I dont know forsure if they were referring to the quaife unit , but I do know they were talking about a higher end brand of LSD.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: LSD??? (stuckatworksi)

that`s the KAAZ unit. I have it. Tranny hasn`t been installed yet.

Ryan
Old 07-28-2002, 06:44 PM

Default Re: LSD??? (NonovUrbizniz)

limited slip means just what it says it stops the tires from slipping (spinning) by transfering power from the wheels that slip...to the wheels that grip (sound familiar).
Too bad thats WRONG!
It will spin both wheels.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Default Re: LSD??? (dom93hatch)

Maybe it's "queef".